Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

scytheavatar

Scholar
Guys I want to try playing Camellia as a ray caster, using Loremaster dip for Scorching and Hellfire Ray. She gets Firestorm and Flame Strike for AOE in mid game. Can someone explain to me why that would be a dumb idea? I know that would mean Metal Curse doesn't hit -6 before lvl 19, but is that the only drawback?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Guys I want to try playing Camellia as a ray caster, using Loremaster dip for Scorching and Hellfire Ray. She gets Firestorm and Flame Strike for AOE in mid game. Can someone explain to me why that would be a dumb idea? I know that would mean Metal Curse doesn't hit -6 before lvl 19, but is that the only drawback?
Just use meta (can use Hex picks for Meta then favorable Mythic to reduce level and stack) Snowballs (via Second Spirit Frost). They bypass SR. Now that Winter Witch is working (I think) you can even go that way if you want. She eventually gets Polar Ray and the high level Cold spells but you can meta the balls to fill slots and use the rest for buffs.

Cam11BigBall.jpgNuke.jpg

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Doesn't sound dumb at all. She has high Dex and Divine Power, therefore good ray accuracy. Hellfire is the strongest single target spell.

Desiderius

Patron
I think I’ve cast Sirocco once in my life. If it’s that important to you you’re missing out on a lot.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Nonetheless, 3 - 9 Loremastyer levels are a solid idea. There are quite a few useful spells she could learn.
For example if you want to exploit her Enchantment capabilities (witches get most Enchantment spells and its the best supported school in the game, item wise), Greater Command is the best mid-level Enchantment spell by far.
Creeping Doom is the OP summon enemies cannot handle. Divine Power would help her land her rays. Icy Prison could be nice if you make her focus on Evocations. Restoration is very handy. You might want Crusader's Edge or maybe Breath of Life/Inspiring Recovery for cheap quasi-rezzes (can spam them within 2 rounds to heal more negative HP, also can be affected by metamagic). And so on...

volklore

Arcane
Loremaster is so busted in owlcat implementation I feel bad for using it. 1 skill focus and 1 meta feat you were gonna take anyway and get to take a bunch of spells and feats from other classes, yeesh. And you can pick secrets of the same class multiple times. It's such a surefire way to fix any weakness a spell-list has at very little opportunity cost. I was a bit skeptical of how insane the reqs are in TTT but tbh, it's probably for the best, also prevents you from picking 1 class secret multiple times.
Greater Command is indeed the best, especially with the fact that it's missing some tags and thus bypasses immunities (at least it was, maybe it was fixed since then).

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Tried respecing an old char with and without TTT, and I seem to remember you could (but not with TTT which limits them to 1 pick). Might be a memory hole though.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
You are limited to only 1 combat and 1 rogue secret, but can learn all the spells you want (well the secrets are what, 5 right?). Don't know if its a bug or its a "feature".

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I think I’ve cast Sirocco once in my life. If it’s that important to you you’re missing out on a lot.

"noooo you are playing wrong you need to play like I do"

Beside, why would you need haste on ember, unless it's your only arcane caster then that's missing out on a lot.

volklore

Arcane
You are limited to only 1 combat and 1 rogue secret, but can learn all the spells you want (well the secrets are what, 5 right?). Don't know if its a bug or its a "feature".
Owlcat implements a lot of things that should only be 1 time picks this way, like combat tricks for rogue, vivi, slayer and bard talents. But at the same time if they did limit the martial secrets then I don't know anymore :D

Yosharian

Arcane
Sirocco is probably the most broken spell in the game for how easy it is to get and how much effect it has on the vast majority of enemies, many bosses even.

Playing without that spell is like turning up the difficulty +1 level

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Sirocco is probably the most broken spell in the game for how easy it is to get and how much effect it has on the vast majority of enemies, many bosses even.

Playing without that spell is like turning up the difficulty +1 level
Not with TTT. Such spells cannot be made Selective there. And it's a pain to use without Selective.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can overheal and even save (sometimes) against your own Sirocco on Hard. IMHO, it is annoying, but not unplayable.

Also, it is possible to Hold all short-ranged melee characters and move them manually to the edge of the AoE, so they do not pursue the enemies into it.

Last edited:
I typically don't use Sirroco. It usually gets in the way. I think I used it a few times in HatEoT in Kingmaker against a Monarch group or something, but that's about it. It's still very powerful though, and I don't besmirch people for using it. I've played around with Loremaster in TTT, and it's definitely ridiculous as far as prestige classes go. For some skill points and two feats you can nab the best of everything that isn't an explicit class ability. I'm butthurt about that, cause what I'd love to steal is Wand Mastery. It greatly annoys me how this isn't a general spellcaster feat. An archmage casting Tier 9 spells can't use a wand as potently as some half-caster gish. :argh:

Desiderius

Patron

Beside, why would you need haste on ember, unless it's your only arcane caster then that's missing out on a lot.
giphy.gif

Both statements are correct.

Play better. Learning how to execute good spells is fun.

Loremaster is so busted in owlcat implementation I feel bad for using it. 1 skill focus and 1 meta feat you were gonna take anyway and get to take a bunch of spells and feats from other classes, yeesh. And you can pick secrets of the same class multiple times. It's such a surefire way to fix any weakness a spell-list has at very little opportunity cost. I was a bit skeptical of how insane the reqs are in TTT but tbh, it's probably for the best, also prevents you from picking 1 class secret multiple times.
Greater Command is indeed the best, especially with the fact that it's missing some tags and thus bypasses immunities (at least it was, maybe it was fixed since then).
I find it gives me some things I don't need at the cost of some things I do. I want the Scroll Savant progression on Nenio for instance. It's well-balanced if you're building around something you can only get from LM (unfortunately unlike P:K the Lore boosts aren't very relevant in Vanilla Wrath since you get to auto-Inspect everything without passing the check) and overrated if you aren't.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
You can overheal and even save (sometimes) against your own Sirocco on Hard. IMHO, it is annoying, but not unplayable.

Also, it is possible to Hold all short-ranged melee characters and move them manually to the edge of the AoE, so they do not pursue the enemies into it.
You know, call me crazy, but I'd rather just kill everything with them instead.

So many better control spells and Sirocco does shitty damage if you're not standing around picking your nose for ten rounds or kiting around like you're soloing some hard game.

because there are 5 companion slots in a party?
Wolj gets it too. There are certain party comps where you might miss it on her but not many.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

giphy.gif

You just said you never used sirocco, maybe you could learn the glory of our Lord and Savior Sirocco
Even in disabled mode turn based is hard to avoid stepping into your own sirocco?

Desiderius

Patron

giphy.gif

You just said you never used sirocco, maybe you could learn the glory of our Lord and Savior Sirocco
Even in disabled mode turn based is hard to avoid stepping into your own sirocco?
Doesn’t matter. My melee wants to stand where the Sirocco would be anyway.

Why not Charge the mobs and wipe them out before they can act? And/or use a spell that provides a more reliable (and useful) disable than Prone and its -4 AB malus to ranged attacks?

I can see the value for solo but I think people watched those solo vids, assumed it was uber, and dismissed everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom