Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Codex Year of the Donut
A huge statue of a god is destroying everything in its path in a fantasy world that's so poorly presented that no one really cares.
huge statue of a god is destroying everything in its path, time to go explore uncharted islands, settle family disputes, and get involved in local politics

jf8350143

Liturgist
A huge statue of a god is destroying everything in its path in a fantasy world that's so poorly presented that no one really cares.
huge statue of a god is destroying everything in its path, time to go explore uncharted islands, settle family disputes, and get involved in local politics
Every RPG has this kind of problem, unless you give every mission in the game a timer, which has been proven to be something people really don't like.

Shadenuat

Arcane
RPGs would have failed if designers actually set that as a design priority; the don't because they know it's not an issue and putting stress on players is dangerous to sales, especially on the "RPG" crowd. Modern RPG players do not think that RPGs should be challenging, they're all about exploration, story, etc.

Some critics would make videos about it, gamers would give them many likes; then when they see game with timer they would go into hysteria about it and mod that shit out of the game first time mod gets made.

Codex Year of the Donut
Every RPG has this kind of problem, unless you give every mission in the game a timer, which has been proven to be something people really don't like.
BG2 gives you a very good excuse to skip doing the main plot for a while. The amount needed should have been much higher though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

There's the NWN: Kingmaker approach where time itself isn't an issue but you can only do x amount of quests before triggering the endgame. If such a thing were transparent, it might not receive a negative reaction from most people (it'll certainly get a negative reaction from completionists who find such a content limit pointlessly arbirtary which it is, really; given the huge popularity of Oblivion and Skyrim and such it's clear that most people do not give a damn about gameplay not reinforcing narrative urgency)

Tigranes

Arcane
BG2 gives you a very good excuse to skip doing the main plot for a while. The amount needed should have been much higher though.

Let's face it, it was a stupid as hell excuse that only works because it's a video game and holy fuck we're in one of the biggest and best cities in CRPG history and hell yeah we want to go sidequesting.

That said, who cares? It's a video game, I don't need these really sophisticated rationale around the save/load or death or sidequests mechanism, I just want sensible world building a la AOD or Underrail.

POE2's problem wasn't that you go sidequesting while Eothas is on the warpath, its problem was that the game's both main & side content is strewn messily across several different themes that don't gel together.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
There whole problem with the first game is they literally threw everything they could come up with into it. There's nothing consistent about it whatsoever.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
PoE 2 Deadfire would be a much better game, if the Eothas Plot would only be the first chapter of the game and after that it's just dealing with the faction and politics in the Deadfire, which is obviously the part which was given most work and attention by the writers. It truely is really weird to run errands across the archipelago while thathuge god statue is literally destroying everyhting in it's path. I can ignore that for there is plenty of good stuff in Deadfire, but I see why it breaks the game for some or even muh' immersuhn.

The main problem still is Obsidian's attempt at writing huge epic world shattering stories with you as a chosen one in the center, when they obvously can handle much smaller and compact stories much more better. White March and Deadfire DLC's show that pretty good. I still consider WM 1+2 to be the strongest output in the franchise, in terms of story, gameflow, combat and cohesion. It's a fun wilderness and dungeon romp much more true to the final frontier feel than the Dyrwood ever was.

WM 1+2 > PoE 2 > PoE

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist

There's the NWN: Kingmaker approach where time itself isn't an issue but you can only do x amount of quests before triggering the endgame. If such a thing were transparent, it might not receive a negative reaction from most people (it'll certainly get a negative reaction from completionists who find such a content limit pointlessly arbirtary which it is, really; given the huge popularity of Oblivion and Skyrim and such it's clear that most people do not give a damn about gameplay not reinforcing narrative urgency)

It's not about the time limit, it's about the pacing of the game. Time limit is just a tool for the devs to control the players' pacing. That's the reason why people don't like it because they want to play the game in their own pace.

The problem not only goes to the main story, it applies to the side quest as well: I promise you to find your stuff which has been stolen by some bandits. But I'll do it half year later because I have other things to do, but the bandits will always stay there and wait for me to find them instead of sell the stuff because of reasons. And the one you do side quest for will never try to find someone else to do it for them or ask you to hurry the fuck up.

So you have to put time limit on everything, and then it begs the question why do you make a game where you allow the players to explore and do sidequest, why not just make a complete linear game where you get no choices whatsoever in the first place.

The Real Fanboy
I just use my imagination and pretend around the main quest and side quest pacing stuff in rpgs
QSGbFWI.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There whole problem with the first game is they literally threw everything they could come up with into it. There's nothing consistent about it whatsoever.

Looks like he's referring to the tone of the dialogue which is true enough. PoE did not have random outbursts of squee or degeneracy.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Got a question about some Nature's Resolve perma-buff - where the fuck does it come from?
I've read somewhere that you get this if your MC is a cipher and you meditate at some certain shrine. I cannot recall where I got it tbh.

That's cool, but should entire party be affected by this, or is it a bug?
If so, this is hilarious, because it's fucking permanent +10 accuracy and +2 resolve, and I got it like 5 hours into the game.
Bumping dis up.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So you have to put time limit on everything, and then it begs the question why do you make a game where you allow the players to explore and do sidequest, why not just make a complete linear game where you get no choices whatsoever in the first place.
Because you don't actually have to design it so player will lose like half of content. (althought that can be p fun game)

You can, but truth is, just like Fallout 1 timer, it is all smoke and mirrors. While the biggest casuals might fail (people do fail at first PK quest) completionists still finish game with all achivos/quests provided they don't restscum for 2 years.

It's a trick not to make you fail, but to make you THINK you can fail. And it works. It ever worked on me for first like 2 playthoughs until I mastered the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom