Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Does the story work if you never finished the previous game?
Yes, absolutely.

However, a lot of what happens in Deadfire makes more sense if you finished the first game and its dlcs. Everything you need to know can be summarized very briefly, but I don't know if you want that spoiled for you.

Anyway, I don't think Deadfire distances itself from the first game that much: if you didn't like Pillars, you probably won't like its sequel. Maybe try to give PoE 1 another chance, it took me three tries to actually enjoy the game enough to reach the end.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, yeah, Freezing Pillar is rather good
CQQtExM.png

Also a fun fact: some weapons trigger their effect on trigger conditions, regardless of source. For example Engoliero de Espirs estoc, triggers its Blade Feast aoe ghastly blades on kill, even if the kill wasn't done with the blade, but with a spell:
78rxgs9.png

As with all weapon based abilities, despite low base damage, the power gets boosted by weapon enchantment (Legendary +60%), Might, Sneak attack bonus (50%+), ranged attack bonus from pet, later also Deathblows bonus (50%), so not too bad
MrdXdBj.jpg

Even nicer for my Blood Mage that Blade Feast is upgraded to leech health....

And some potentially unintended synergy: Soul Hunger on combat start debuffs Might by 3 (also Dex, Con), noticably reducing the self-multilation damage my char self-afflicts to recover all spell slots after Free cast buffing on combat start, but later, after 1st kill, gains the Sated Hunger ability to instead increase these 3 stats by 3 each.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I wouldn't say buggy. Quite playable. Much more controlled. Easier.

Takes some getting used to - for example to being unable to redirect spells - and enemies move around between cast start and finish.
Slower, heavier hitting attacks tend to be better. Although it's easier to land timely Interrupts also.
And spells :) Typically a single spell is capable of achieving more then a single/dual attack.

A bit slow at times. The fact that some enemies are bullet-spongy is emphasized in Turn Based.

Good times for a nuker, with damage on ray spells and persistent aoe spells from their entire durations being "compressed" into 2-3 ticks.
Good times for a Blood Mage, who can (almost) fully buff as Free actions and instantly recover all these spell slots as Blood Sacrifice Free actions.

Playing a Spellblade nuker, I'm very happy with the changes to persistant damaging spells (which became so strong however, as to make traditional nuking staples, like Fireball, Blast of Frost, Torrent of Flame and similar - largely obsolete). Where's the Balance? :D

However for most other classes, I'd consider whether such slow, methodical gameplay vs sometimes bullet spongy enemies is what I really want.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Where's the Balance? :D
From what I've read, it seems like the TB mode is haphazardly put together in an afternoon. The way some classes and attributes work certainly points to that. There was no time or desire for balance. Blood Mage was ridiculous from the start, though, both mechanically and lore-wise. Ugh, there's so much wrong with this system and their handling of this situation it frustrates me.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Nearly missed the most important force amplifier... become a living lightning rod...

Equip a certain helmet, get hit by lightning...
3mExaPO.jpg

And ready to start the carnage
fEqy6by.jpg

Don't forget Blood Feast on kill
Jp7og7d.jpg

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Pshh, THE MIGHTY ORACLE OF WAEL, overseer of all things secret and its underlings
cannot kill a lone level 9 Eder who stands still and presses the Unbending button... until the class resources run out, a whole 2+ minutes realtime.

high res: https://streamable.com/u8smm8

No powergaming, no tricks... :lol: (I added teh Brilliance cape just for lol)

Well, the trick is that the damage done is in "small" increments, so Unbending stacks up to x26 peeps...

I still dont understand how Unbending works. I assumed its like a 20% dmg reduction, since it heals 20% of damage done, per description.
But in the game it heals 100% and more if starts stacking, but it stacks only on multiple attacks, of which it shoulld heal 20% but it does much more...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
All healing efffects are multiplied - by Might, but potentially also by other effects. I think Intelligence also plays a role, as it might increase the duration of the regenerative effect.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I'm finally giving this game another shot after a couple years and all the DLC came out. Tried turn-based mode as a battlemage, but the cast-action spells are so annoying. Is this game better in turn-based mode or is it best to stick with rtwp?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, I'd say it depends on you. Turn Based is obviously slower, more methodical, controlled.

Personally I think in general I prefer it in RTwP.

For a nuking oriented mage one consideration is how lasting aoe damage spells behave. The ray spells and lasting aoes, like Freezing Pillar, dump their damage in 2-3 ticks, meaning they have much more nova potential in Turn Based. And frankly they tend to overshadow all the other spells around their levels. Heck, at PL 6, Ningauth's Death Ray from PL 3 is still my best line nuke.
Good thing that's a perfect fit to an Assasin Spellblade.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Well, I'd say it depends on you. Turn Based is obviously slower, more methodical, controlled.

Personally I think in general I prefer it in RTwP.

For a nuking oriented mage one consideration is how lasting aoe damage spells behave. The ray spells and lasting aoes, like Freezing Pillar, dump their damage in 2-3 ticks, meaning they have much more nova potential in Turn Based. And frankly they tend to overshadow all the other spells around their levels. Heck, at PL 6, Ningauth's Death Ray from PL 3 is still my best line nuke.
Good thing that's a perfect fit to an Assasin Spellblade.
Hey Haplo, found a mod that re-enables retargeting spells for turn-based mod, if you're interested. https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/331?tab=description

With this, you can pause the game before your spell goes off and retarget it

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Thank you.
I will see. Its probably possible to get used to it.

New record
P5WfLM5.jpg

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Here we go again:

L1tqGc1.jpg

I like how the Barrows mobs are quite tough and are not a faceroll even at level 20.

Btw. I've encountered some annoying bug where nearly all of Pallegina's equipment (except her amulet) went missing. Only noticed at the end of a loong brawl in Turn based.. and had to roll 2 fights back... annoying.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Btw. I've encountered some annoying bug where nearly all of Pallegina's equipment (except her amulet) went missing. Only noticed at the end of a loong brawl in Turn based.. and had to roll 2 fights back... annoying.
This bug was present in PoE1 too, I once lost someone's entire inventory on ironman.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Btw. I've encountered some annoying bug where nearly all of Pallegina's equipment (except her amulet) went missing.

Interesting. Did you see if she has a cloaca? :P

Sadly she didn't bend over enough for Science to enable me to thoroughly research this matter and find an answer to this eternal riddle once and for all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom