Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, but aren't next batches of bouties gated unless you complete/report previous ones, like in PoE1?

ferratilis

Magister
Bounties are a bit different from PoE1, they are given by different NPCs and you get them progressively. Usually each NPC gives 3 or 4 bounties. Since you'll hit the level cap easily, some of the late game content will be more about optimizing your build than anything else (because respeccing is so easy), and you're mostly playing for loot. I hate level scaling, but would advise turning it on in this game, just make sure to use "only scale upwards" option. Otherwise you're going to steamroll everything.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Problem with POE 2 deeply flawed writing is that it's "F.R.I.E.N.D.S the RPG". Sitcom and adolescent mentality in the words used, the ways people talk, the personal relationships etc. Which is a shame. As for companions, apart from Xoti, no one seemed offensively bad to me. Mostly mediocre. It's just, as per tradition, their quests lack any significant resolution and/or choice-and-consequence ethos.
*As a side note and unpopular opinion, POE 1 companions are fine, great even, if you don't mind the fact that they cannot abandon the party and/or slaughter each other due to differences of ideology.
why is Xoti bad?

Piotrovitz

Savant
I'd recommend Deadly Deadfire though (which is on Nexus I think). I like Deadfire a lot, but without level scaling it tends to get piss easy towards the end. Level scaling keeps all the fights nice and tough(ish) all the way through, and because Deadfire doesn't have any of the kinds of oddities that give level scaling a bad name (like bandits eventually having ebony armor and that sort of nonsense in Skyrim), it's never psychologically jarring in Deadfire.

Thanks! - DD is on Nexus indeed. Scaling up to 9 lvls (and bosses scaled 2 lvls higher than regular mobs) may be a bit too much for me, but we'll see.
I'm not a fan of scaling, but if that's the only way to get the XP nerf mod then so be it.

I'd rather have tough times and reload some battles dozen times than to deliberately skip quest/bounties so the latter part of the game won't get piss easy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's a separate xp reduction mod, no need to contend with everything that comes with DD. But maybe I'd suggest turning it on only after you've completed tutorial island. On PotD, the tutorial island is balanced extremely well and you'll have an unreasonably tough time with XP reduction. Not that it can't be done, but it will boil down to luck rather than tactics.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, I remember first island to be pretty hard - digsite exterior fights were manageable, but the crypts with skeletal warriors/mages I've always skipped.
Deadfire POTD beginnings seem to be way tougher than PoE1 ones, so guess I'll switch the mod on somewhere before Neketaka.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Holy fuck, does anyone else has the lagging mouse issue in inventory screen?

Years ago I had the same problem and thought it was the lack of SSD, but it's exactly the same on my new laptop.

Lios

Cipher
Problem with POE 2 deeply flawed writing is that it's "F.R.I.E.N.D.S the RPG". Sitcom and adolescent mentality in the words used, the ways people talk, the personal relationships etc. Which is a shame. As for companions, apart from Xoti, no one seemed offensively bad to me. Mostly mediocre. It's just, as per tradition, their quests lack any significant resolution and/or choice-and-consequence ethos.
*As a side note and unpopular opinion, POE 1 companions are fine, great even, if you don't mind the fact that they cannot abandon the party and/or slaughter each other due to differences of ideology.
why is Xoti bad?

Mainly because she made me get turned off by southern accents, I believe.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
why is Xoti bad?

Mainly because she made me get turned off by southern accents, I believe.

I like the Southern accent and I quite like her character, what annoys me is that those traits are paired with a dusky Pajeet-like portrait. She should be a freckled red-head or GTFO (in fact there's one of the portraits that suits her much better).

Mechanically though, I've seen Reddit type complains about the weakness of the Contemplative multiclass, and the weakness (falling-off) of her signature weapons. It's all a bit unsatisfactory, in that it doesn't hang together, since her character as portrayed is both pious AND feisty, so she's not really a pure Priest, but full Monk doesn't fit either.

I reckon she would have been absolutely perfect as a Zealot (Priest + Streetfighter - one of the Nexus class change mods offers that IIRC), but then I suppose the devs thought a pure Rogue option for newbies to blunder into would have been really wrong for her.

There's a cool Contemplative build for her on the game forums that compensates for the weakness of Contemplative and has her dual wielding Twin Eels, but that's a very late blooming build.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like the Southern accent and I quite like her character, what annoys me is that those traits are paired with a dusky Pajeet-like portrait. She should be a freckled red-head or GTFO (in fact there's one of the portraits that suits her much better).
She's Readceran Savannah Folk. They're all brown.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
She's Readceran Savannah Folk. They're all brown.

I know, that doesn't make it any less jarring.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What is it that makes it jarring? There is nothing inherently jarring about them speaking that way, no? Its a fantasy world and there is no reason the they couldn't have that accent.

Compare that to the Valians... People from sub-tropical equatorial regions inventing and popularising northern Italian fashion, fucking lazy and ridiculous world building.

Having traders be from the equivalent of ssa is fine, having them speak with an Italian accent is also fine, having them be carbon copies of renaissance northern Italians, except black, is just retarded.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What is it that makes it jarring? There is nothing inherently jarring about them speaking that way, no? Its a fantasy world and there is no reason the they couldn't have that accent.

Compare that to the Valians... People from sub-tropical equatorial regions inventing and popularising northern Italian fashion, fucking lazy and ridiculous world building.

Having traders be from the equivalent of ssa is fine, having them speak with an Italian accent is also fine, having them be carbon copies of renaissance northern Italians, except black, is just retarded.

Yeah the lore is jarring in lots of ways, Black Vailians included - though tbh I think it's quite good just in terms of the story aspect of it (who did what when), i.e. the world picture it builds up does hang together pretty well. But a Southern drawl coming from a pajeet's portrait is particularly silly.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
But a Southern drawl coming from a pajeet's portrait is particularly silly.
But she's not a pajeet. Savannah Folk are Mexicans.
That's an interesting angle. I always assumed Soyer was trying to be nice to (to "represent") an evangelical but the portrayal came across a gratingly patronizing. If she were a Day of the Dead type Indio Catholic who knows?

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm quoting from the wiki, because I'm not home to be able to check if this is actually in the game, so:

"Pale Elves have borderline albinism".

"Skin: Extremely pale and translucent, ranging from snow white to fair. Their skin often lacks any warmth other than their faintly visible circulatory system."

"For one reason or another, Rymrgand has preserved their souls, protecting them against soul entropy over the twelve thousand years of their habitation in the White that Wends. Every pale elf was reborn intact as a pale elf, in an unbroken continuity of souls stretching back thousands of years. The Glamfellen were unaware of this until a Watcher visited one of the clans and revealed this to them upon examining their souls."

So they're not typically vampires. "Vampirism" is very weird in Sawyer's realm. It's stupid, and I don't want to get into it.
For example, Caedman Azo and, obviously, Glasvahl are Pale Elves. One's an animancer/researcher. The other's crazy wizard trying to kill himself.
And in PoE II: the only one that I know is Winking Audr. And the only reason why I know her is because she's one of the best navigators in the game on your first playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom