Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1029/view/reviews/load/374/page/1

Gameplay - 9: Fantastic with the right amount of challenge for all levels. So long as you don’t mind some obvious dice-rolling, PoE offers a deep, satisfying experience.

Visuals and Sound - 9: The handcrafted environments and well-paired score are beautiful and create a well-realized game world. Character models are low detail but it’s easy to ignore during gameplay.

Polish - 8: Very few bugs. Menus are a little cumbersome and overly busy, and the game relies pretty heavily an intimidating Cyclopedia, but the overall package is well-done.

Longevity - 9: With a meaty campaign and tons of side content, Pillars of Eternity offers dozens of hours of content on a single playthrough. Seeing how things unfold with different choices easily multiplies that.

Value - 10: With a $45 asking price, and a huge amount of content, this value proposition is clear. This is a steal for what you’re getting.

Final Score

I like how one of his complaints near the end is basically that it's not an MMO. True to his site's mission, I guess.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

accismus

Literate
Speaking of Mass Effect...

pcgamer said:
If your might stat is above 12, you can grab him by the shirt

Someone on a stream did this to another NPC as well.

Shepard's collar grabbing skillz live on? :troll:

Shadenuat

Arcane

Hmm, this one is actually not as positive as I expected.

Quests are fairly stock, characters forgettable, and even the longest serving party members made little impact on me. ... In keeping so close to the Baldur's Gate/Infinity Engine template, Pillars of Eternity can't help but inherit a few old flaws, and it would have been nice to see a bit more personality of its own shine through its carefully traditional design and shell.

It often feels like real-time that would have been better off just being turn-based, heretical as that absolutely is.

Hah.
This part is more interesting and very Sawyer, No Avellone allowed:
At times it seems like the Dyrwood national pastime is reciting history to every passing stranger, and even when not, this is a very dry, humourless game for the most part. Tastes vary of course, and there's nothing wrong with a stock fantasy setting played straight, but I soon longed for a Minsc or a Morte to lighten the mood and add a spark more humanity to the action.
Should have kept MCA characters, I knew it.

Oh I also forgot to tell how I hate when viewshitters get gaem first and hype the shit out of it "oh classiK rpg we must be kool about it it's important today, classic is new call of duty, NINE OUT OF TEN NINE OUT OF TEN"
Gamers should be the judges day 1, gamers and backers especially.

Last edited:

Wulfstand

Prophet
Holy SHIT are the reviews hyping me the fuck up. Can't even remember the last time when that Bunnyhop guy praised a game, I kept waiting for the punchline, but it didn't come.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, seeing as MCA's new job since NV is being the DLC bitch, can we expect the expansions to be true MCA experiences?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

VERDICT
Critical Hit

I have few complaints to make, none of which tainted my playthrough in a significant way. Pathfinding can sometimes be an issue (as has always been the case with Infinity Engine games), with party members failing to find an obvious route through other characters. Items could also be a messy business, the unlimited stores of your cache becoming full with page after page of cheap items to be sold wholesale at the nearest merchant. Unfortunately merchant pages would then display all of these items in case you wanted to re-buy them, making the process of collection and exchange unnecessarily annoying. Finally, there are a series of difficulty spikes in the early sections of the game which even a vet like myself found difficult to overcome. Though in honesty these are minor dents in PoE’s suit of alluringly polished armor that I forgive with ease. Everything promised has been delivered in a labour of love that proves how deserving Obsidian was of such an outpouring of faith.

Take my advice: abandon your fancy graphics, action game mechanics, and weapons without a ‘+10’ in their title and rediscover how things used to be done.

First score under 9.0?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This part is more interesting and very Sawyer, No Avellone allowed:
At times it seems like the Dyrwood national pastime is reciting history to every passing stranger, and even when not, this is a very dry, humourless game for the most part. Tastes vary of course, and there's nothing wrong with a stock fantasy setting played straight, but I soon longed for a Minsc or a Morte to lighten the mood and add a spark more humanity to the action.

Haha, yeah, that does sound like Sawyer alright.

Gord

Arcane
German magazine Gamestar.de postponed their review to tomorrow because the reviewer didn't manage to finish the game yet. :lol:
He likes it, though, and didn't want to rush it just for the sake of having the review ready.

PCGames.de gave it 91%:
Pro:
Tactical challenging combats
multiple paths in quests
no black-white morality
Con:
character levels restricted to a lowly lvl 12
lost potential with the stronghold
some problems with characters getting stuck during combat

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just got my Adventurer's Edition. Everything is bilingual, including the map (Polish version is on the other side).
Just got mine too. Not opening it though, until I see what the KS box is like.
My KS box will only have the manual, so I cracked this one open to enjoy the guide and check Polish take on the naming.

I also listened to the soundtrack CD, but it is pretty disappoinitng - only 8 tracks and around 20 minutes total length.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom