Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Is anyone actually playing this? is there a list of the "multiclass" talents somewhere?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Uh...my little narrative?

If you bash Pillars of Eternity or Obsidian, you're going to get a visit from

Jdlorgbadge_s2.jpg

The cat came out of the bag completely over the last few months.

Lhynn

Arcane
wtf the monk's one. :lol:

Rogue one sounds like the best. P. easy to apply those conditions so it's like having +5 might for dps.

Thanks btw.
They look like really shitty feats. This was the big thing the game was getting? fucks sake, laughable doesnt even begin to describe it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you bash Pillars of Eternity or Obsidian, you're going to get a visit from

Jdlorgbadge_s2.jpg

The cat came out of the bag completely over the last few months.

Hah, all this time I thought that image was supposed to be a description of YOUR rebellious attitude. Like a "Fight the Power!" kind of thing. Now I get it, it's a JIDF symbol or something.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Hah, all this time I thought that image was supposed to be a description of YOUR rebellious attitude. Like a "Fight the Power!" kind of thing. Now I get it, it's a JIDF symbol or something.

Hands are usually a fascist/authoritarian symbol. I didn't notice the star until your post. Sensuki is just butthurt because PoE is a great game and his neutoric criticism doesn't affect us.

Lhynn

Arcane
Never played that shitty MMO. Please explain
its basically just selecting a second class and getting most of the benefits from it. completely changes the way you play the game as the breadth of options it opens is huge.

This is just.. so underwhelming. i was going to reinstall to check it out but fuck that. someone let me know if the writing ends up being not complete garbage.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I know right, when I first hit level 3 (or 2, I have a doubt) and witnessed the supposedly game-changing cross-classes talents I lost it. Not only they chose the most irrelevant shit for you to pick, they also tuned it down to make sure it's the worthless choice you could ever make :lol:
A lesser version of magic missiles, which was already the shittiest level 1 spell of the wizard, what the actual fuck were they thinking ?

On another note, it seems some areas got an encounter overall, got ambushed by dozens of spiders in the ogre cave at dyrford. I haven't played since the release so, is it an addition of 2.0 ? Are there other areas that got spiced up a bit since the release ?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The ogre cave has a ton of spiders in 1.06. In PotD, at least.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I know right, when I first hit level 3 (or 2, I have a doubt) and witnessed the supposedly game-changing cross-classes talents I lost it. Not only they chose the most irrelevant shit for you to pick, they also tuned it down to make sure it's the worthless choice you could ever make :lol:
A lesser version of magic missiles, which was already the shittiest level 1 spell of the wizard, what the actual fuck were they thinking ?

They're probably quite decent for Chanters, but that's more of a Chanter problem.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I don't know, chanters are quite versatile already and picking a little instant crush damage burst is the least of priority for either kind of chanter you wanna build. The only interesting feat, as stated above, is the thief's lesser sneak attack. Picked that for Sagani and, I don't know if they changed the ranger much, but oh damn is she kicking ass even with a hunting bow.

The ogre cave has a ton of spiders in 1.06. In PotD, at least.

Ok. I think it's because I did the dyrford region content after everything else I could do in act 2 back at release, I might have stomped a bit too much to notice how the encounters went. Anyway it was a cool surprise, I didn't bring any massive aoe damage since my first playthrough left me the impression it wasn't really efficient but the cave made me regret it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh defends his defender nerf http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81009-defender-20-beta-nerf/page-7#entry1722540
I adjusted Defender and Wary Defender down because they were contributing to close-to-unassailable Deflection values on fighters. Fighters should be exceptional tanks, but their Deflection values should still be approachable by enemies.

I think the question is what the drawback for enabling Defender should be. Hold the Line will grant you one additional target to Engage with no drawback. Defender grants you two and previously added a Deflection bonus with an attack rate malus. Cautious Attack also adds a Deflection bonus with an attack rate malus, so there's overlap there, especially since they are both modals. Engagement isn't primarily about forcing Disengagement Attacks, but holding (or at least slowing) enemies that may be attempting to rush around you. If you don't value that, you probably won't value Defender no matter what its drawback is. But if you value that, the question is still what the drawback should be.

Defender could inflict an Accuracy malus to offset the additional Engagement, but some players might view that as worse than a Deflection penalty. I do not have a strong attachment to Deflection being the drawback on Defender, and we will be continuing to tune the game after 2.0 and The White March, so I don't have a problem with shifting the drawback to a different stat.

Most of the feedback I saw on Defender was negative, but I saw one or two people in favor of the changes. Granted, the pool of people commenting wasn't large, maybe 6-8. I'd like to see more feedback on it in play. Fighters with >10 Con have more Endurance now and Constant Recovery scales (though it starts with a lower base value). Between the changes to Defender and Wary Defender, it's a loss of 20 points of Deflection -- a lot, but D/WD shield-based fighters were incredibly far ahead of other characters in the late game. The alternative I proposed was reducing Accuracy, but for a character who's just attempting to hold a line, that may not be a meaningful drawback for the modal.

He'll also be revisting cross-class talents for the patch after the one coming next week. :M

Bit more extreme than that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Defense_League

Fairfax

Arcane
Defender could inflict an Accuracy malus to offset the additional Engagement, but some players might view that as worse than a Deflection penalty.
No shit.

I do agree that the late game fighter could be too strong as a (pure) tank, but this is a double penalty if you consider the change to Perception. 4/6 attributes are basically offensive now, and Constitution is not the "tank stat" Sawyer seems to wish it was. The engagement slot isn't even that much of a perk after 2.0, where enemies constantly switch targets and disengage. Pre-2.0 sure, with the right gear you could have up to 9-10 enemies engaging the two frontline tanks, but it's not the case anymore.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is anyone actually playing this? is there a list of the "multiclass" talents somewhere?
Some try, you are even punished for finishing the game as the expansion is not playable after beating the main campaign. Quite a few people complain about this cause they dont have pre end saves left or playing on ironman. Beautifull design decision again,as for why i still bother, its because i preordered it on obsidian site before even playing POE when i was young ,naive , full of joy and optimistic.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well that's dumb. Why would they block you from doing it after finishing the game? Specially since the expansion is supposed to have some high level areas.

Fairfax

Arcane
Some try, you are even punished for finishing the game as the expansion is not playable after beating the main campaign. Quite a few people complain about this cause they dont have pre end saves left or playing on ironman. Beautifull design decision again,as for why i still bother, its because i preordered it on obsidian site before even playing POE when i was young ,naive , full of joy and optimistic.
The expansion is available as soon as you get the stronghold, and the game generates an autosave called "pre-endgame" before you jump in the pit. I used that one.

DemonKing

Arcane
I only managed to fit an hour in last night and so far haven't got off the first map on Cragholdt - so far every encounter has been combat apart from one sleeping dude I had to accidentally wake up first prior to combat.

I'm not against combat but I hope there's a bit more to the expansion than this.

LizardWizard

Prophet
Stole a sweet ring off some chick that was burning to death.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom