Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Fairfax

Arcane
Ok, do I have to turn on party AI? My characters still seem to do fuck all.
And how do I respec? Something happened to how my chars worked and a bunch of "drunk orlans" wiped my party in seconds. WTF.
Not sure about the AI, not playing until they fix the blurry text/map.
To respec you have to go to a tavern and click on the dice icon when trying to look at the menu.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game is the second best selling on Steam and the expansion is on third place (Sweden).
The expansion is also doing well on GOG. Another slam dunk?
:slamdunk:

Deleted member 7219

So how does it work? Do you continue with the same party, going to investigate some new disturbance in the force, or start from scratch?

Yes. On loading a save you get a message to return to Caed Nua. New playthroughs require you to reclaim Caed Nua first. I had a save ready right before the endgame, with me stood outside the stronghold. All I had to do was load, and walk straight in.

I haven't played much more due to performance issues. FPS is now terrible and loading times are enormous.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just started downloading the Pillars of Eternity: White March... that's under DLC Installers in GoG Galaxy, anyone know if I need to download and install the 1.06 > 2.0 patch first? Or will the expansion patch it at the same time?
In case anyone is wondering, you do have to patch first. Well, when I ran the PoEWM installer it told me to update my game, so I assume it wants that 2.0 patch installed. If that doesn't work I'll be back to whine about it. Should have queued both while I slept :negative:.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes. On loading a save you get a message to return to Caed Nua. New playthroughs require you to reclaim Caed Nua first. I had a save ready right before the endgame, with me stood outside the stronghold. All I had to do was load, and walk straight in.

I haven't played much more due to performance issues. FPS is now terrible and loading times are enormous.

Might want to go to the Obsidian forums and complain about it, because I'm not seeing many similar complaints right now: http://forums.obsidian.net/forum/104-pillars-of-eternity-technical-support-spoiler-warning/

Game runs fine here and loading is great once I reached White March. Really liking it so far, seems like it's even funny at times.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

LizardWizard

Prophet

No performance issues here.

How old is your save? There was a massive save bloat issue initially after release iirc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh-posts

Difficulty settings are still designed around an expected average party level. With The White March coming out, the potential range of levels in the endgame is between 7 and 14. That's why we have an additional check for very high level characters.
:what:

I would say it was a huge mistake to tune the crit path so it could be completed at level 7. That's nuts. Should have been level 9.

Personally, I think a 7th or 8th level party is a good fit for TWM's crit path, but the side content is meant for characters that are 11+.

We didn't design new stronghold content for Part I, but it's been a focus for me for Part II.

The squeaky whiners get the grease.

For the next patch, I've lowered some of the more eye-watering requirements and BMac has made a code fix that allows a fall-through for class or race-specific damage/kill requirements at 5x the base value. E.g. if you've massacred every wizard in the game and have a weapon that requires 5 wizard kills, you can fulfill the requirement by killing 25 of anything with the weapon.

Balance Master does it again.

When is part II scheduled to come out?
Not for at least several months. We've just recently started on it. Sorry.

The Steam page says winter, so I'd guesstimate late January 2016 at the earliest, but probably February or even early March. Another accurate Roguey prediction.

Regarding complaints about how the wizard cross-class talent is a measly 2 magic missile castings per rest:

Letting people have levels of spells is much more complicated than offering individual spells or abilities. I did not receive a lot of feedback on the cross-class Talents from the team or QA, but it's not difficult to tune existing abilities/talents up.

We'd like to keep making games in the PoE world. I don't know what metrics the owners would require for us to move forward with that, though. A lot of us have talked about ideas for PoE2 but we haven't done any work beyond that.

On an unrelated note, I've had conversations with Feargus about doing a small scope turn-based historical low fantasy game and they haven't ended with me being kicked out of his office/the building.

Yes, I would be more interested in playing that than a Pillars sequel.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Balance Master does it again.
Why even have those stupid kill ten rats in the first place though? Incentive to do side encounters after filling bestiary?

Regarding complaints about how the wizard cross-class talent is a measly 2 magic missile castings per rest:
Is it really just magic missiles? P. insulting for all the people that were hoping for those awesome self buffs. :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why even have those stupid kill ten rats in the first place though? Incentive to do side encounters after filling bestiary?

A lot of players respond well to this stuff http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_challenges

Is it really just magic missiles? P. insulting for all the people that were hoping for those awesome self buffs. :lol:

Yeah, that wasn't going to happen. With a watered-down self-buff you'd likely get "Why am I wasting time even casting this."

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah, that wasn't going to happen. With a watered-down self-buff you'd likely get "Why am I wasting time even casting this."
I wonder which class is even worth dipping into. Considering it's balanced of course. Is there a list of the minor class features you get?

Fairfax

Arcane
Ok, temporary fix for the blurry shit if you really want to play it before the patch (I don't, but I wanted to test it):

- Go to the game properties on Steam
- General -> Set launch options...
Add:
-force-d3d11

Or do the same thing to a shortcut if you're playing DRM-free: go to properties and add -force-d3d11 after "C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity.exe" or something.
This command will force DirectX 11, which actually improves the performance a bit (at least in my experience), but breaks the in-game maps. Some of them become completely useless, others just have some black spots all over it but are still readable.

PS: -force-opengl seems to fix it without breaking the maps, but performance takes a big hit (10+ FPS here). Trying to force d3d10 or 12 does nothing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are these posts from the paywall forum? Game's own director doesn't explain stuff on the official forums.

Josh sez he can only access his Obsidian account at work.

Way back when, someone claimed he created an alt to talk about Eternity during the backer beta based on the poster's writing style and extensive knowledge of the mechanics, but who knows how true that is (I intentionally ignored the majority of beta-chat).

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm afraid to try this. Any first impressions so far? Has the game become less boring? Or was Sensuki right again?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Combat AI seems to be very interesting. It seems to have made combat much easier on Hard, at least for the first few levels. Now I can concentrate on setting up the battlefield and micro'ing my PC, and the fact that "tanks" can only peel off a few enemies isn't that bad at the moment. I can use my Cipher to peel and punish as necessary.

I do hope it gets harder, then again I found the game easy later on, on previous play-throughs, due to characters having more abilities. Not sure what is balanced on the combat side on this patch aside from Defender being useless and AI changes.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expansion still in Top 5 on Steam, base game at #2. Maybe tehre were

The Steam page says winter, so I'd guesstimate late January 2016 at the earliest, but probably February or even early March.

Why would it take more time to release than this part did?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom