Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
he gods aren't gods
:hmmm:

"This thing that acts exactly like a god? Yeah, it isn't a god because it was created."

Wow, they should have dropped this startling revelation on the bhaalspawn about bhaal in baldur's gate

This is you making a conclusion. I don't care what you think personally - we were discussing what the writers' intent was. And their intent was to let your character RP their own answer (as opposed to your position that the game gave you a clear one - something clearly disproven both by own false statement that the companions always had the reaction you claimed they had, as well as your misunderstanding of Iovera's point).

Codex Year of the Donut
he gods aren't gods
:hmmm:

"This thing that acts exactly like a god? Yeah, it isn't a god because it was created."

Wow, they should have dropped this startling revelation on the bhaalspawn about bhaal in baldur's gate

This is you making a conclusion. I don't care what you think personally - we were discussing what the writers' intent was. And their intent was to let your character RP their own answer (as opposed to your position that the game gave you a clear one - something clearly disproven both by own false statement that the companions always had the reaction you claimed they had, as well as your misunderstanding of Iovera's point).
Oh come on, you're just doing damage control. Nobody puts a character like that right before the last boss without it intended to be an "OMG PLOT TWIST" moment.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
When have I denied it was a plot twist? I call it that in my review *as well as in the current discussion we're now having*

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also who's doing damage control? You still haven't even reacted to the fact that your claim about companion reactions was objectively false (well, beyond a non-sensical 'fake news' reaction, that is)

Codex Year of the Donut
Also who's doing damage control? You still haven't even reacted to the fact that your claim about companion reactions was objectively false (well, beyond a non-sensical 'fake news' reaction, that is)
because I'm not downloading pillars to prove it wrong and there's no way to browse the dialogue online, go do it yourself

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
because I'm not downloading pillars to prove it wrong and there's no way to browse the dialogue online, go do it yourself

so NJClaw photoshopped the reactions and the ending slides? :lol:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah she’s right about how the gods became gods, but what is the functional difference between an omniscient, omnipotent, immortal mortal and a god?
I kinda agree with what you're saying, but the Engwithan gods are neither omniscient nor omnipotent. Their own nature of being the embodiment of a collection of concepts makes them deeply flawed, and this is especially clear in the second game. They fail in their endeavors, they have to rely on mortals to further their agenda, and, worst of all, sometimes they get bested by a mortal in physical and verbal confrontations. You can defeat the avatar of Rymrgand in his very own domain, and IIRC with enough Intellect/Lore you can "win" a dialogue with Ondra, convincing her of your positions.
Whoa yeah all this would be really weird for gods.
*checks greek mythology*

:shredder:
Rusty you look unable to process very simple statements, are you ok? I'm not saying that that's weird or would in any way shape or form discredit them as gods, I'm responding to someone who said they are omniscient and omnipotent. Seriously, is everything alright? Did those ugly red wizards kill your girlfriend in your last BG playthrough?

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah she’s right about how the gods became gods, but what is the functional difference between an omniscient, omnipotent, immortal mortal and a god?
I kinda agree with what you're saying, but the Engwithan gods are neither omniscient nor omnipotent. Their own nature of being the embodiment of a collection of concepts makes them deeply flawed, and this is especially clear in the second game. They fail in their endeavors, they have to rely on mortals to further their agenda, and, worst of all, sometimes they get bested by a mortal in physical and verbal confrontations. You can defeat the avatar of Rymrgand in his very own domain, and IIRC with enough Intellect/Lore you can "win" a dialogue with Ondra, convincing her of your positions.
*checks greek mythology*

Rusty you look unable to process very simple statements, are you ok? I'm not saying that that's weird or would in any way shape or form discredit them as gods, I'm responding to someone who said they are omniscient and omnipotent. Seriously, is everything alright? Did those ugly red wizards killed your girlfriend in your last BG playthrough?
Nothing shows they aren't omnipotent and immortal though.
Saint's War was a proxy war between the gods, kith were pawns.

If you dare to question the gods in deadfire, as powerful as the watcher is -- probably one of or the most powerful kith in existence, he just gets poofed out of existence. I know because I picked that choice at every opportunity.

Delterius

Arcane
if it was about roleplaying, there would be a choice to call her a fucking retard for being so retarded btw
iovara asks 'hey what are your characters motivations' but that conversation is not about roleplaying

image.png

like, ok

Delterius

Arcane
If you dare to question the gods in deadfire
ah the game where the gods can't destroy a big statue

if it was about roleplaying, there would be a choice to call her a fucking retard for being so retarded btw
iovara asks 'hey what are your characters motivations' but that conversation is not about roleplaying

image.png

like, ok
Where's the option to call her a retard for being retarded?

were you vaccinated as a child

Parabalus

Arcane
*checks greek mythology*

Rusty you look unable to process very simple statements, are you ok? I'm not saying that that's weird or would in any way shape or form discredit them as gods, I'm responding to someone who said they are omniscient and omnipotent. Seriously, is everything alright? Did those ugly red wizards killed your girlfriend in your last BG playthrough?

If you dare to question the gods in deadfire, as powerful as the watcher is -- probably one of or the most powerful kith in existence, he just gets poofed out of existence. I know because I picked that choice at every opportunity.

Makes no sense given your comparison with Greek gods, who aren't omnipotent.

Codex Year of the Donut
*checks greek mythology*

So the bar is pretty low for being a god, and they clearly show all the qualities of a god.

Wow, it's a good thing obsidianites have obsidian to tell them how to think or they might be heretics

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
*checks greek mythology*

photoshopped

Codex Year of the Donut
*rides magic carpet made out of souls to bottom of bottomless pit that you would have died trying to go down if not for a god's help because you just talked to the gods*
*talks to the ghost of a woman who was damned for eternity by gods for her heresy who insists the gods aren't real*
hmm, yes, this is very good writing obsidian, thank you

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
who said anything about it being good writing? you're trying so hard to move the goalposts you've ended up playing football on Neptune

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom