Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I also don't play on anything below POTD in either POE1/2. So I didn't feel I was overleveling the content earlier on, where game is most difficult.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Started a new playthrough for the sake of comparing the engine with WL3, and damn I must say Deadfire really makes PoE1 UI and visuals feel dated.
Also I can confirm that despite WL3 looking okay, PoE1 and 2 remain the best looking games from the GKR era

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE2 - yeah, 1 not so much. The 3D models clash very badly with the background art imo, but they somehow managed to fix this in 2 and it indeed looks amazing.

ferratilis

Magister
I still think that PoE1 looks rather nice (I just prefer the grittier art style over something vibrant like Pathfinder or D:OS), but going back to it after playing PoE2 makes you realize how static and lifeless environments are. Almost nothing in a scene moves, other than some small effects on screen and NPCs of course. But then again, PoE2's vibrant environments came at a price of reduced party size and constant stutters. Still, art style makes up for it in both games and it could be a while before we get another fantasy cRPG in this style. Most developers are now obsessed with bright colors, for some reason.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It has been nearly 7 years
I still remember the days when Pillars was supposed to be the perfect mix of Baldur's Gate and Torment.
How is the game remembered after that much time?
Worse than it should have been. Better than the hardliners will give it credit for. Might have been a classic if Obsidian had used OGL instead of ersatz bullshit, or if they hadn't tried to out-wordcount Torment.

A-Minish

Educated
It has been nearly 7 years
I still remember the days when Pillars was supposed to be the perfect mix of Baldur's Gate and Torment.
How is the game remembered after that much time?
It will depends on who you ask. Some people like me discovered this genre with PoE, Dragon Age:Origins, Fallout3, Fable, etc. Of course each of those RPG are bad in some way or another, no doubt about that but we will probably remember them fondly. Now "old grunts" were certainly more knowledgable and sharper than us at the time and saw PoE1 flaws, combine this with the hype and it is no surprise it is still dissected today :). As best as you can be objectif about the game it is certainly not a masterpiece, a turde or bad. May be just good-enought ? *shrug* So I remember it fondly, better than PoE2 even if PoE2 is better in some ways(nostalgia, hell of a drug).

always wondered if Justin Bell found the inspiration for this :
As I loved PoE1 music i cannot thank you enought for sharing this one. Now i have another sweet music to add to my playlists. Thanks :love:

PS : Sorry for my english, not my fist language.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You mention "old grunts". Now I'm... not exactly young. Yet I've loved PoE1 from the start (a bit more love-hate with PoE2... but still more love, I guess).
It has issues, sure... but so did nearly most "classic" titles!

PoE are great games IMO. And that's from someone who played many "classic" titles on their release.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
You mention "old grunts". Now I'm... not exactly young. Yet I've loved PoE1 from the start (a bit more love-hate with PoE2... but still more love, I guess).

PoE are great games IMO. And that's from someone who played many "classic" titles on their release.
Let's have a good Malcachoa.

A-Minish

Educated
To clarify, by "old grunts" i meant : Very critical(objectivly or not) and experienced players, both on Tabletop and Computer games, more than anything else(not the hatefull ones). I am myself turning into one of them, maybe with a touch of cynicism too :smug:

As for PoE2 I can definitly relate to the feeling of Love-Hate. I liked it so much that I created my fist, very UNbalanced, custom class mod for it(it's still on the nexus i think). And I hated its shitty main-quest so much that I had to put my thoughts on paper(for once) and because there were so many shitty things to note :D

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
You mention "old grunts". Now I'm... not exactly young.
To be fair, "old grunt" is a translation of "grognard".
I count myself as one as well. Been here since Atari 800XE :salute: Long live to Infinity engine games and PoEs! I say all their naysayers are denizens of the Pit of Despairly Despair, their opinions and themselves deserving each other. Muhehehe.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I thought POE 2 is better than 1 in almost every way. it's held back by being a direct sequel, and the plot structure / fake urgency setting. it would be so much better to be a random sailor tasked to find ukaizo by the guilds instead of chasing a giant statue

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why all the disagreement? Pillars is a bad, a very bad game. It is known.

Is it just that this thread was filtered by time and is only visited by tasteless fanboys with no appreciation for functional gameplay? Because I can leave you be in your safe space, no problem.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

I thought POE 2 is better than 1 in almost every way. it's held back by being a direct sequel, and the plot structure / fake urgency setting. it would be so much better to be a random sailor tasked to find ukaizo by the guilds instead of chasing a giant statue
That's a well made point, I'd have welcomed that. However, many, if not all RPGs are designed with an imminent world's destruction at hand. Players can go traipsing around for ages instead of rushing to thwart the plans of the evil mastermind. Irennicus becoming a god is a threat to the whole world, he's certainly not one to slack in his progress. But wait, I need to solve the local villager's love affair and feel nice. And I actually fancy spending a week at the inn until the mad wizard finishes his potion, I am really curious what it's gonna do. Oh wait, I've another 3000 coins to earn so I can buy this cool looking sword.... :D So why mind it here, I wonder?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom