Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Piranha Bytes has shut down, Bjorn Pankratz founds new studio

BruceVC

Magister
After Piranha Bytes is now dead and gone, GameStar announced that Björn Pankratz and his wife formed a new studio. It's called Pithead Studios.

The article says that the two will finance the studio by themselves using the money they have from Piranha Bytes' sale to Nordic. They want the studio to be indie without a publisher.

No new game is announced but they said that the new games will be RPGs. They will be smaller and more dense in comparison in to the last Piranha Bytes-games. The games will also be more "brave" (I guess they mean more inmovative by that)

More info will be coming today.

Source: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/piranha-bytes-zukunft-bjoern-pankratz-pithead-studio,3416007.html
Terrible news. Its depressing that such a prestigious and iconic studio like PB has gone under :(

Maybe it’s just my cynicism speaking, but I have zero confidence that the same lead that failed for years to capitalize on the Gothic franchise and to keep up with the rest of the industry will suddenly be able to start a new studio and write a smashing success story… on a tighter budget and with none of the past expertise his employees accumulated over the years.

I think they are done.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Maybe it’s just my cynicism speaking, but I have zero confidence that the same lead that failed for years to capitalize on the Gothic franchise and to keep up with the rest of the industry will suddenly be able to start a new studio and write a smashing success story… on a tighter budget and with none of the past expertise his employees accumulated over the years.

I think they are done.
But that's the Codexian Dream. A guy who made a good game 20 years ago starting his OWN STUDIO and giving us THE NEXT REAL CRPG. Look at the success of PoE! Or Elite: Dangerous! Or...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Talking about making the next game smaller and tighter sounds like they were able to draw proper conclusions at the very least.

Whether they currently have capacity to actually produce and release anything is highly doubtful.

Odoryuk

Educated
Nothing lasts forever. Sometimes, even people who made something great, cannot replicate it, as there's too much variables that made Gothic 1 and 2 good games. I have no faith their new studio will come close. It's not enough to have one strong visionary, the whole company must work as one single entity, and I doubt many Gothic veterans are there.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Actually, having one great visionary - but also somewhat grounded / realistic and with organizational sense - might be enough. I'm just not convinced Bjorn has such a strong personality.

Chuck Norris

Augur
If the name and legacy is going to go away, it ain't no Piranha Bytes without Michael Hoge and Kai Rosenkrantz. :negative:

Michael Hoge has left game industry altogether, which is sad. This would be a golden opportunity to bring back the old team. But I think he and Bjorn might have had a falling out.

Also there are some rumors about how Bjorn was directly responsible for the decline of PB. So this could suck big time.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
HELL YA! Let's hope those RPGz will be zer gud! If their clothes are anything to go by game's story will be about AfD Disco Werewolves fighting against Globalist Gay Vampires for the freedom of Deutschland

Bjorn smells like german Tim Cain or even worse: german Feargus Urquhart. We'll see, we'll see... His wife from video must have been top tier german gothic cutie back in 90s

Actually, having one great visionary - but also somewhat grounded / realistic and with organizational sense - might be enough. I'm just not convinced Bjorn has such a strong personality.
Hell, if anything I’m convinced he’s at least partially responsible of the current failure.

No hard evidence, to be clear. just putting together fragments of what I’ve heard over the years about his leadership.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
With so many other quality indie RPG Devs popping up like mushrooms after the rain, we don't depend on fate of this studio. Thanks for Gothic formula, if you can't any more deliver on it, new younger forces can

Eldrin

Literate
I doubt we will see any good games from them, Björn never seemed to be able to grasp what made the old Gothic games so beloved among the playerbase, or even what makes any kind of RPG "Good".

Michael Hoge as seen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNlLj6nxU0A (check it out, it's in English) - seems to be the one responsible for the Writing (Dialogues, Interactions, Narrative), as Michael at least demonstrated in the video shown that he understood what made the Gothic series so great. And all games that came after Risen 1, which were of dubious quality at best, completely atrocious at worst, were made after Hoge split away from the original Piranha Bytes.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Björn is one dude I wouldn't trust on delivering Gothic formula. He is the main reason Elexes are so meh.

It's over, PB is gone, no more even half decent games from them.

I'm not gonna wait for anythign Björn releases. He really has no idea what was good in early Gothics and Risens. Instead, at best we'll get another ELEX 2, at worst we'll get another Gothic 3.

Gandalf

Arbiter
As I understood correctly they will make indie games from now and answer people's questions every monday, so feel free to shoot one in the comments. The name Pithead translates to mineshaft, because they're located (or from, I frogat what the said) Ruhr region which has plenty of those. The also did not staed if they are husband or man and a daughter situation.

Now the question is this a diamond, gold or coal mine?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With so many other quality indie RPG Devs popping up like mushrooms after the rain, we don't depend on fate of this studio. Thanks for Gothic formula, if you can't any more deliver on it, new younger forces can
But can they, though?

Latelistener

Arcane
Polacks say that Bjorn and his wife left the studio in November, and the rest of PB wanted to cut ties with them and make a new IP using Unreal Engine 5.

Reading the internet, no one even remembers Gothic anymore. The general conclusion is that they were just making the same game that aged badly, although you all know that wasn't the case.

It somehow made me feel ancient and I'm not even that old yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom