Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PtD source code download link

Modron

Arcane
Getting fairly high rate of CTDs just opening my inventory in 64 bit exe, will try the 32 bit.

If you open your inventory 10 times in either 64/32 bit exes the game crashes to desktop, consistently less if you examine a lot of items/open the map but it's not a linear reduction. Had crashes examining items and opening the map.

Can confirm barter window suffers from the same ctd upon repeated openings. Purchasing of ammo through dialog triggers it as well.

Seems like bringing up dialog windows a lot can cause the updated exes to crash as well, leveled up speech skill clicking on a cow wondered if I could farm it for more bam crash to desktop (I think only the first dialog with a character awards skill exp anyways).

In addition to the journal having bugged graphics, the map system is bugged and will display the whole game map regardless of what location you pick instead of the smaller minimaps. It will load up the right minimap markers but not so much the correct spots for them in both the 32/64-bit versions.

Weapons only seem to be displayed at certain angles. However, in the lupin cave I noticed that they are like 10 rows below the character when not displayed properly (which doesn't appear to be the case outside of smaller locations).

Minor Unimportant Issues
Vaunis and Antius wedding two of the guests in the crowd were lying down in sleeping positions instead of standing up.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Double posting because information might be overlooked in edits, I've done all of Kellen so far no quest related issues moving on to Land's End tomorrow.

CTDs

Had a CTD on a random encounter load on the 64 bit exe, probably just related to whatever is responsible for those progressively more likely ctds on opening inventory/conversations/item examination/map opening. Bit difficult to recreate in the 32 bit just by virtue I have to skirt dangerously close to causing a CTD to happen in the first place then wait for an encounter to happen, I guess I could just play in the 32 bit for a while and hope for it to happen organically.

Minor Issues

One time I started the game and loaded a save only for my character's textures to not load:
18U0sCC.png

This was in the 64 bit exe and the issue persisted across a save and reload. Exiting the game and restarting it fixed the display issue so it was just a trivial inconvenience.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not a programmer by trade,

but if I want to run this, I download the source, open it with something like CodeBlocks, set it for g++, and compile to make an exe. then run?

Modron

Arcane
As per the readme: https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1

How to install/run​

Windows:
  • Install the 1.5 version of the game;
  • Replace the prelude.exe executable with the generated prelude.exe;
  • Run the executable.
Though in this case they are looking for 1.8 testing so just grab the 1.8 install and drop their exes and included dependencies on top of that from: https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1/-/releases/1.0

See Shagnak's post below for 1.8 install
I uploaded this for someone at the 'Watch, but thought I better mention here, what with this once being the *official* PtD forum and all.
Anyway, here's a new link for PtD v1.7, just in case (a) people are having probs with v1.8, (b) the old v1.7 links are dead (?).

v1.7 (more stable for some):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfrpzi7zz96o536/PreludeInstall1.7.exe?dl=0

v1.8 (FINAL but may be unstable):
http://www.mediafire.com/?dnetngwnmjj
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jo3zopeo1i9los/Pyrrhic_Tales_Prelude_to_Darkness_v1.8_[final].exe?dl=0

Enjoy! Or not.

(Big thanks to AdolfSatan for the dropbox upload!)

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, that seems simple enough, I'll give it a shot over the weekend.

Quoting you below so its easier for me to find the links for installing.

I found a link to the 1.41 installer https://web.archive.org/web/2004120...al/temp/306443/PreludeInstall.exe&asid=306443

You can find a 1.50 patch at https://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/3213/7/

Dunno if that gets you what you need.

Edit: there is a fixed exe for 1.41 at https://gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_prelude_to_darkness.shtml if you need that as well.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If you want to actually compile it get Visual Studio 2017, or if you are using linux just run make.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I doubt I could be much help debugging the program with how busy I am, but I have written a few lines of c++ here and there in the past year.

I understand the basics, but I'm far from a software developer. I just like to poke around and read.

I think I understand the process to "install" the game now though.

Codex Year of the Donut
Getting fairly high rate of CTDs just opening my inventory in 64 bit exe, will try the 32 bit.

If you open your inventory 10 times in either 64/32 bit exes the game crashes to desktop, consistently less if you examine a lot of items/open the map but it's not a linear reduction. Had crashes examining items and opening the map.

Can confirm barter window suffers from the same ctd upon repeated openings. Purchasing of ammo through dialog triggers it as well.

Seems like bringing up dialog windows a lot can cause the updated exes to crash as well, leveled up speech skill clicking on a cow wondered if I could farm it for more bam crash to desktop (I think only the first dialog with a character awards skill exp anyways).

In addition to the journal having bugged graphics, the map system is bugged and will display the whole game map regardless of what location you pick instead of the smaller minimaps. It will load up the right minimap markers but not so much the correct spots for them in both the 32/64-bit versions.

Weapons only seem to be displayed at certain angles. However, in the lupin cave I noticed that they are like 10 rows below the character when not displayed properly (which doesn't appear to be the case outside of smaller locations).

Minor Unimportant Issues
Vaunis and Antius wedding two of the guests in the crowd were lying down in sleeping positions instead of standing up.

Double posting because information might be overlooked in edits, I've done all of Kellen so far no quest related issues moving on to Land's End tomorrow.

CTDs

Had a CTD on a random encounter load on the 64 bit exe, probably just related to whatever is responsible for those progressively more likely ctds on opening inventory/conversations/item examination/map opening. Bit difficult to recreate in the 32 bit just by virtue I have to skirt dangerously close to causing a CTD to happen in the first place then wait for an encounter to happen, I guess I could just play in the 32 bit for a while and hope for it to happen organically.

Minor Issues

One time I started the game and loaded a save only for my character's textures to not load:
18U0sCC.png

This was in the 64 bit exe and the issue persisted across a save and reload. Exiting the game and restarting it fixed the display issue so it was just a trivial inconvenience.

layman tl;dr: older software ported to 64bit requires going over the codebase with a finetooth comb
don't use the 64bit executable until they say it's actually safe to use, stick to 32bit

I'd expect all saves from 64bit to be broken, and incompatible with 32bit until more work is put in btw.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
layman tl;dr: older software ported to 64bit requires going over the codebase with a finetooth comb
don't use the 64bit executable until they say it's actually safe to use, stick to 32bit

I'd expect all saves from 64bit to be broken, and incompatible with 32bit until more work is put in btw.
Why is that? Is it something to do with the change in register size or something?

Modron

Arcane

You'll notice I was able to replicate most issues with the 32 bit exe. They are reverse engineering stuff to improve compatibility and add further patch content to the game since the provided source was a handful of patches behind the last official patch. Bound to be issues to be ironed out especially since the game was really buggy to begin with and that's why I am playing it to help identify and improve it.

Saves work just fine so far between the base 1.8 exe and the updated 32/64 bit exes.

asfasdf

robot
Patron

Why is that? Is it something to do with the change in register size or something?
It is complicated, many errors come from code using variables and pointers interchangeably. While they are often 32 bits in x86, they have different sizes in x64. So you cast a pointer into a 32 bits var and lose part of the data. Another common issue (which happens a lot in ptd) is writing/reading from disk using var size as the metric, and say writing a var that is now 64 bits wide, but using a 32 bits one as metric, etc

Fixing those is hard, since you have to find these cases. That is why Modron work here is very useful. Finding bugs that only happen in 64 exes will point us to 64 bits conversion errors.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is complicated, many errors come from code using variables and pointers interchangeably. While they are often 32 bits in x86, they have different sizes in x64. So you cast a pointer into a 32 bits var and lose part of the data. Another common issue (which happens a lot in ptd) is writing/reading from disk using var size as the metric, and say writing a var that is now 64 bits wide, but using a 32 bits one as metric, etc

Fixing those is hard, since you have to find these cases. That is why Modron work here is very useful. Finding bugs that only happen in 64 exes will point us to 64 bits conversion errors.
Would it help to have 1-2 people dedicated to playing one version only? To create comparison points I mean. I'd be willing to do one if it would, I've wanted to play this game unbroken for ages.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Would it help to have 1-2 people dedicated to playing one version only? To create comparison points I mean. I'd be willing to do one if it would, I've wanted to play this game unbroken for ages.

It would help with other things, there are still several bugs arising from the porting into 1.8 from the weird source we have. If you are looking for a more smooth play through go for the 32 bits version. We fixed quite a few things already, but they are currently only in the repo, not in the release, I might create a new release soon with the latest improvements.

Modron

Arcane
In both 64/32 exes loading a few times will ctd the game as well, 4-5 times.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
We have been busy and now there is a new release:

https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1/-/releases/1.01

Several bugs were fixed, the lighting issues have mostly been fixed. Local lights are still broken somewhat, often illuminating the whole scene instead of only the location, so more work to do.

No more crashes with inventories, and a few other stuff.

I disabled quit on ESC also.

Also, whole new audio system.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Note: we only support 1.8 from this version on.

As always with testing, if you report a bug, please specify the version you're using and please join a save state and a clear repro state !
Thanks a lots, we won't be able to go much further without your help, guys.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
asfasdf Tramboi

So, I have to install the dependencies and replace the exe file with the github one?
BASS isn't necessary anymore for 1.8 + new exe (64 bits)? (not mentioned on github)
Is it alright if I don't pick the exact versions of glfw and glew mentioned? More recent versions are available.

EDIT:
There is no install for GLEW, do I put the files in the PtD directory? Which ones? bin, doc, etc directories or the glew one containing them?
Same question for GLFW.

EDIT 2: I added both the main directory and what's inside for both programs in the PtD directory and it won't run... Missing glew32.dll

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Darth Canoli , you can find the dlls in https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1/uploads/764c811a43eb47f96eca791c9bd78620/dependencies-32.zip and https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1/uploads/49add9dd503f960a79debc8db20ed97f/dependencies-64.zip
Just unzip the one that matches near to the new executable, in the game directory, and it should work. Try to stick with the provided dlls, they have to match with the library used for the build.
We'll try ship releases in a convenient zip with the dependencies, in the future, I guess !
Tell me if it works

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Darth Canoli , you can find the dlls in https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1/uploads/764c811a43eb47f96eca791c9bd78620/dependencies-32.zip and https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1/uploads/49add9dd503f960a79debc8db20ed97f/dependencies-64.zip
Just unzip the one that matches near to the new executable, in the game directory, and it should work. Try to stick with the provided dlls, they have to match with the library used for the build.
We'll try ship releases in a convenient zip with the dependencies, in the future, I guess !
Tell me if it works

It does work. :bro:

During the character creation, azerty keyboard isn't detected (it's probably in qwerty by default), I can't remember if it was the case for the original game, probably.
Also, I can't use capital letters.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Tell me if it works

It does work. :bro:

During the character creation, azerty keyboard isn't detected (it's probably in qwerty by default), I can't remember if it was the case for the original game, probably.
Also, I can't use capital letters.
Nice if it works !
I fixed the SHIFT issue.
And I fixed the layout remapping for A-Z keys for now.
Next release should work better, please endure this one for now :)

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I've bartered, talked, walked around, scrolled and no crash so far, seems highly supernatural.
Good work.

Is there a way to fix the intro and fight sluggishness? I remember it took me three tries to muster the strength to get past it back in the days and I only did it years later because of the praises in some Codex PtD thread.

Edit:
Tramboi I still have earlier saves and it seems the games sorts the save files with higher game days first, i'll probably have to find the save folder and store them elsewhere, it would be nice it they were stored by latest played in real time but it doesn't seem any real date is attached to do that.

First crash
Outside of the starting village, from the map screen, I clicked Jerrock (the square right next to it) and CTD!

Last edited:

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Game sluggishness bothers me also. Maybe after we fix all these bugs we can look into options to speed up combat clock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom