Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PtD source code download link

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I am still working on that one, it is not included in this release.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Alright I fixed the damn flooring in the caves, this game is full of hackish stuff that flied in DX7 for some reason.

I have been trying to reproduce the other things you described here but I haven't managed to get the crashes. If you have a save where it always, or almost always happens (ie. load game, do this and that and crash), that would help a lot.

Still haven't figured out where the save files are located.
There's not a lot of 100% reproducible bug, usually, it looks like the more you do and the more you travel and the more it's susceptible to crashes.

Modron

Arcane
In the install directory, note the saves seem to be randomly numbered or something so you'll want to open them up with notepad/wordpad whatever and read the save name from there.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
In the install directory, note the saves seem to be randomly numbered or something so you'll want to open them up with notepad/wordpad whatever and read the save name from there.

I didn't even check there but now I think about it, it makes sense since I cloned my previous install, old saves were also present ...

:shredder:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fron previous version 1.2 64bits, didn't test the new version yet

• Keyboard response is slow, if you type at a normal/fast pace, it doesn't register half of what you wrote.
  • On many occasions: fast travel -> don't move -> fast travel again (or location compass this time) --> CTD
  • Kellen dwellers cave, CTD at the bottom of the cave in the corridor between the second dwellers encounter and the isolated monster with a few items on the ground, worked fine on reload.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
New version 2.0 64 bits

In the Citadel, locations from local map disappeared (had 2 from quests), went to talk to the watcher guy, asked him to add all citadel locations and ... Nothing happened.
Didn't get anything like that in previous fixed version nor the original game.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Got a crash and this error code in the 2.01 64 bit exe while scrolling:
IoCsVU0.png

Location was the mantis caverns south of the academy, almost don't want to point out they have that old issue of floor textures behind the wall there since it's such a small location.

Just a some minor nitpicking but the original music for the Academy has a static pop at the end of the track loop. It seems like it's after the end of the music in academy1.ogg so it might be as simple as trimming bit off it.

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Thanks for the testing and the reports !
We added the message boxes with exception reports to gather more forensics but it will be hard to exploit in this form. I'll cook better reporting messages and next version should help us to get to the bottom of this.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Got a crash and this error code in the 2.01 64 bit exe while scrolling:
IoCsVU0.png

Location was the mantis caverns south of the academy, almost don't want to point out they have that old issue of floor textures behind the wall there since it's such a small location.

Just a some minor nitpicking but the original music for the Academy has a static pop at the end of the track loop. It seems like it's after the end of the music in academy1.ogg so it might be as simple as trimming bit off it.

The floor is rendering beyond the walls? Do you have a screenshot? It seems correct here:

PcJZ25e.png

The tiles on the edge do have a vertex beyond the wall, but that is how it happens in the original 1.8 game also. We can improve this in the future, but current goal is fixing crashes and stuff that differ from the original.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah 1.8 install, 2.01 64 bit exe and dependencies dropped on top. Oh and something I forgot to mention a while ago: you can equip whole stacks of items into each equipment slot like 4 helmets, 7 swords, et cetera (haven't tested if this gives godly damage/damage resistence yet).

asfasdf

robot
Patron
I have been investigating some strange issues with party reputation and it seems to not exist at all in 1.8? events.txt refer to it quite often, but it has no matching function in the source/items.txt. Does anybody knows if things related to reputation work on 1.8 vanilla? Can you even get the evil ending in that version?

We got a new release, now with core dumps:

https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1/-/releases/2.02

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Meaning that if you're lucky, when the game crashes, you might see a message box with a lot of info that will interest us.
You will aussi find a core.dmp file in the game directory that might help us debug the issue.

Modron

Arcane
I have been investigating some strange issues with party reputation and it seems to not exist at all in 1.8? events.txt refer to it quite often, but it has no matching function in the source/items.txt. Does anybody knows if things related to reputation work on 1.8 vanilla? Can you even get the evil ending in that version?

IIRC evil ending was unlocked by virtue of choices during the Rebellion questline in Land's End and then by picking a certain option much later in game. I don't think you need reputation along the way for it. As far as I know party reputation was more used in certain quests and dialogs.

Unrelated note but's it been pretty smooth sailing in 2.01 crash wise. Only had that 1 crash in the caves earlier and one when selecting a destination in map but selecting not to go there. About halfway done with the game.

Was looking through the game files and realized the Journal entry desriptions from Journal.txt aren't being displayed in you quest journal.

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron

IIRC evil ending was unlocked by virtue of choices during the Rebellion questline in Land's End and then by picking a certain option much later in game. I don't think you need reputation along the way for it. As far as I know party reputation was more used in certain quests and dialogs.

Unrelated note but's it been pretty smooth sailing in 2.01 crash wise. Only had that 1 crash in the caves earlier and one when selecting a destination in map but selecting not to go there. About halfway done with the game.

Was looking through the game files and realized the Journal entry desriptions from Journal.txt aren't being displayed in you quest journal.
Do you get any message box or core dumps out of this ? :)
If the game exits without notice, info might be lurking in debug.txt, also.

But I'm glad that the situation stability-wise is getting better !

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
2.02 64 bit all new saves I make cause straight to desktop crashes without errors when loaded, older saves from 2.01 load fine. Thought it might be an issue of just carrying saves forward from older versions so I made a new party and tried loading those saves and got CtDs as well.

Thought maybe I'll try the 32 bit version, loading saves: CTD, so was going to try starting a new game in 32bit and it crashes the second opening video ends or is skipped.

Am I alone in this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom