Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryan muller

Educated
santa monica was great for what the game should be
If the devs focused on making only two Santa Monica like hubs the game would be amazing. The beach house is like a verticals slice of all of the options that get nullified once you get past Monica. Such a shame.
They should've focused on making less content that is more polished and fleshed out. On top of lackluster second half, the game is way too buggy. Troika never had a stable and polished game which is funny since Fo1 was actually very polished and tim cain was pretty much directing the whole thing.

Last edited:

Saldrone

Educated
Dues Ex - I played this years ago, don't remember much story wise and have problems running it on modern PC that I'm too lazy to fix.
Have you tried the replacement executable from kentie.net? No need for compatibility headaches.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
VTmB - 5/10. voice acting & atmosphere are top notch, santa monica was great for what the game should be, but when half of the game is just grinding shit dungeons (fuck you if you're not a combat focused character) , terrible gameplay.
It starts to go really downhill once you hit Chinatown. The first two hubs are pretty good. Santa Monica is top notch. I think if you asked people who've played it, what were their favorite parts of the game, at least 3 out of 4 of those would probably be moments in Santa Monica. If the entire game were as good as Santa Monica, it would have probably been at the top of the list for years.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
VTmB - 5/10. voice acting & atmosphere are top notch, santa monica was great for what the game should be, but when half of the game is just grinding shit dungeons (fuck you if you're not a combat focused character) , terrible gameplay.
It starts to go really downhill once you hit Chinatown. The first two hubs are pretty good. Santa Monica is top notch. I think if you asked people who've played it, what were their favorite parts of the game, at least 3 out of 4 of those would probably be moments in Santa Monica. If the entire game were as good as Santa Monica, it would have probably been at the top of the list for years.
Hollywood has some really good stuff. It just shits the bed once you go into the Warrens.

Well, it still is at the top of lists at least here. #6, #6, #5, #6 on votes across 11 years. I just don't see it. If the other areas were of Santa Monica's calibre or at the very least remained pretty good, that would be fine, but the latter half of that game is a tragedy.

Ryan muller

Educated
Hollywood has some really good stuff. It just shits the bed once you go into the Warrens.
Tbf theres barely any content in there before the sewers. Theres like what? 5 quests in holywood?

Falksi

Arcane
Don't get so triggered that I talk shit about your normie Chrono Trigger & Witcher 3.
"Normie" sums them up nicely. Simple games for simple people.

I'd wager 98% of people who rate these games 9/10 or higher have never beaten a game in any in-depth way possible (e.g. No-deathed Ghouls N' Ghosts or 1CC'd Hellfire on a Harder difficulty setting)

They're the type of people who use Dark Souls as an example of difficulty, and most won't actually be aware of what good challenge design entails, because they've never even experienced it.

Ryan muller

Educated
Don't get so triggered that I talk shit about your normie Chrono Trigger & Witcher 3.

I'd wager 98% of people who rate these games 9/10 or higher have never beaten a game in any in-depth way possible (e.g. No-deathed Ghouls N' Ghosts or 1CC'd Hellfire on a Harder difficulty setting)

They're the type of people who use Dark Souls as an example of difficulty, and most won't actually be aware of what good challenge design entails, because they've never even experienced it.
I actually do enjoy challenge runs so your entire point falls flat.

Dont be butthurt because i rated the emo VN a 6, its still a positive rating, althought as said, only decent since what it does well, DE does better and it doesnt do very good in any other area, hence why its obsolete.

You couldnt even argue against my criticism, only try to shove Other game into it to hide the fact you know i was right.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Deus ex -
I hate stealth in games, and Deus Ex is like of like Henry Ford's statement of "You can have a Ford in any color you want as long as it's black." when it comes to stealth. Tried it a few times, realized they really want you to do stealth, and I dropped it. 3/10.

I also hate stealth in most games but a stealth sniper in Deus Ex is very retarded and very fun.

Ryan muller

Educated
Deus ex -
I hate stealth in games, and Deus Ex is like of like Henry Ford's statement of "You can have a Ford in any color you want as long as it's black." when it comes to stealth. Tried it a few times, realized they really want you to do stealth, and I dropped it. 3/10.

I also hate stealth in most games but a stealth sniper in Deus Ex is very retarded and very fun.
If you dont invest a single point at it, hip fires are 100℅ precise, therefore you can become a sniper god without knowing how to actually snipe, definitively retarded fun

flyingjohn

Arcane
If you dont invest a single point at it, hip fires are 100℅ precise, therefore you can become a sniper god without knowing how to actually snipe, definitively retarded fun
Try using a sniper against Commandos and MIB's at untrained. Also the rifle skill is useful for the other weapons in the category. Especially, shotguns with the extra body damage. Also max rifle skills makes the sniper a lockpick/anti camera, handy.

Ryan muller

Educated
Try using a sniper against Commandos and MIB's at untrained. Also the rifle skill is useful for the other weapons in the category. Especially, shotguns with the extra body damage. Also max rifle skills makes the sniper a lockpick/anti camera, handy.
Untrained gives you a 100℅ precise hip fires, this isnt part of my OG point about skills not being that important tho, its a flat out glitch.

Falksi

Arcane

Dont be butthurt because i rated the emo VN a 6, its still a positive rating, althought as said, only decent since what it does well, DE does better and it doesnt do very good in any other area, hence why its obsolete.

You couldnt even argue against my criticism, only try to shove Other game into it to hide the fact you know i was right.
Do you?

Such as?

Ryan muller

Educated

Do you?

Such as?
Recall the "rate your top 3 in the 90s thread"?

I didnt criticize Contra HC without understanding it, i had the cartridge as a child, so i trained it until i managed to beat it w/o deaths

In fact i spent so much time with OG contra and HC that i know those games in their entirety, which is why i currently find them quite mediocre.

The series i most do these kinds of runs can be considered quite normie tho, since i mostly do a bunch for classic megaman, probably the games i can mostly proudly point out i have mastered, since i in fact atleast once no damaged every single game in the series (exception being MM & Bass)

Aside from that i Already runned a solo run in Baldurs gate 1

Did all kinds of retarded Bruiser, 1 agility builds in Fo1

And the obvious not so much challenge runs, nightmare modes 1 death/ ironman on doom/quake which everybody should atleast once.

Falksi

Arcane

Do you?

Such as?

I didnt criticize Contra HC without understanding it, i had the cartridge as a child, so i trained it until i managed to beat it w/o deaths

In fact i spent so much time with OG contra and HC that i know those games in their entirety, which is why i currently find them quite mediocre.

The series i most do these kinds of runs can be considered quite normie tho, since i mostly do a bunch for classic megaman, probably the games i can mostly proudly point out i have mastered, since i in fact atleast once no damaged every single game in the series (exception being MM & Bass)

And the obvious not so much challenge runs, nightmare modes 1 death/ ironman on doom/quake which everybody should atleast once.
I mean, stuff like Hard Corps is challenging for sure, so fair enough, but it's still "Normie" challenging.

I'm talking about stuff like Dodonpachi Daioujou Death Label, Dodonpachi Saidaioujou on Expert Mode with the TLB Inbachi, or Mushi Futari Ultra Mode. That takes game analysis to another level all together. I'd suggest playing those, then jumping into Chrono Trigger after, and you'll see what I mean.

But fair enough, you've got more balls than your average Chrono Trigger lover.

Ryan muller

Educated

Do you?

Such as?

I mean, stuff like Hard Corps is challenging for sure, so fair enough, but it's still "Normie" challenging.

I'm talking about stuff like Dodonpachi Daioujou Death Label, Dodonpachi Saidaioujou on Expert Mode with the TLB Inbachi, or Mushi Futari Ultra Mode. That takes game analysis to another level all together. I'd suggest playing those, then jumping into Chrono Trigger after, and you'll see what I mean.

But fair enough, you've got more balls than your average Chrono Trigger lover.
CAVE games arent as obscure here compared to probably how they are on NA, so i wouldnt necessarily say them wont fit a normie challenge status, althought they are much harsher ofc

But i usually only attempt challenge runs in games i loved or liked to a bigger degree since i like the idea of replaying such games in a different way. I used to love contra as a child, i just grew to dislike them over time

And aside from contra the only game i attempted a challenge run w/o loving it was OG baldurs gate, but i did like its sequel a lot.

Ash

Arcane
Deus Ex stealth...if not working for you (not sure why, the AI is deaf dumb & blind) why not try combat?

Untrained gives you a 100℅ precise hip fires, this isnt part of my OG point about skills not being that important tho, its a flat out glitch.

Wow, completely forgot about this as it was one of the very first things I fixed, over a decade ago now. Anyway, true statement. The game has rough edges, it is legendary despite the fact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom