Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A buddy of mine bought me Red Dead Online last month and I already have 125 freakin hours in it. The drip feeding of earnings, the multitude of activities, the masterful use of negative space, gorgeous graphics and understated music, all work together to create an experience both relaxed and rewarding, solo or with friends. At the same time one can easily see the consumerization of design, particularly in that you always need more money, and a big bag of premium currency is always just a few clicks away. Somehow I don't mind it. I like this about a million times as much as GTA Online.

ADL

Prophet
A buddy of mine bought me Red Dead Online last month and I already have 125 freakin hours in it. The drip feeding of earnings, the multitude of activities, the masterful use of negative space, gorgeous graphics and understated music, all work together to create an experience both relaxed and rewarding, solo or with friends. At the same time one can easily see the consumerization of design, particularly in that you always need more money, and a big bag of premium currency is always just a few clicks away. Somehow I don't mind it. I like this about a million times as much as GTA Online.
Have you touched RedM at all yet? That's where all the real fun is. People are doing all sorts of shit with lua scripting and custom asset support.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
upload_2021-8-19_18-10-18.png

Ivan

Arcane
it's this shit right here that just made me eyeroll at the plot throughout. The wolrd is great, would love a more hardcore survival sim, I don't get the praise this gets for its narrative

Hellion

Arcane
Arthur's character development and personal narrative is great, but Dutch's constant schemes were indeed the epitomy of retardation. Every single time he proposed another genious "final heist" I wish there was an option to just say "NO, YOU IDIOT".

Ivan

Arcane
Arthur's character development and personal narrative is great, but Dutch's constant schemes were indeed the epitomy of retardation. Every single time he proposed another genious "final heist" I wish there was an option to just say "NO, YOU IDIOT".
character work definitely > plot. voice acting was well done.

How was Arthur's character development great? He was the ultimate beta in a genre made for lone wolf alphas. John Wayne > Clint Eastwood > Arthur "The Cuck" Morgan?

Spent the entire game running errands for his "daddy" Dutch, following him into one obviously dumb situation after another, like some sort of a Stockholm Syndrome victim, only to get completely cucked at the end.

Ivan

Arcane
I liked the defeatist/fatalistic turn at the end. I had the production values behind the VO in mind. rip lenny!

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
How was Arthur's character development great? He was the ultimate beta in a genre made for lone wolf alphas. John Wayne > Clint Eastwood > Arthur "The Cuck" Morgan?

Spent the entire game running errands for his "daddy" Dutch, following him into one obviously dumb situation after another, like some sort of a Stockholm Syndrome victim, only to get completely cucked at the end.
Beta cuck morgan speaks to modern faggot gaymers the truth is Man with no name would not even let mr cuck outlaw morgan shine his shoes but we live in cucked times so modern heroes are subservient beta faggots.

Man with no name didnt need anyone to get shit done.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I always enjoyed the final gunfight scene and soundtrack of The Grand Duel honestly. Underrated movie overall

Edit: here it is in English if you want to watch.

Additionally, another good western. And one that even Patrice O'Neal liked:

Axecack

Literate
3. UI and controls
As we know, good UI makes the game. For PC version, RDR2 UI and controls are horrible. From the get go you need to change the horse camera and controls. Still the horse handling will be terrible.The item and gun wheel that force you to use lots of keys and scrolling through items is good for consoles, but for PCs its horrible. Game takes your weapons into your horse, despite setting default equipment. It's annoying to take of the guns from horse -worse if you forgot them and mission already started. Re equipping hat-ugh, why not do this automatically when i get on a horse?

Yeah, this and the slow character animations are my biggest gripe with this game. I want to like it but it's impossible to enjoy my time when the act of simply playing this game is a chore. I've noticed a noticeable trend in Rockstar games, starting with GTA 4, where they started trying to make "realistic" games at the expense of the player. In GTA SA, I could run, fight, shoot like a standard videogame character, and in GTA 4, I felt like the character had arthritis or something. Same issue with GTA 5, although less pronounced, but even more of an issue with RDR2. Is it really necessary for it to take 5 minutes to skin an animal, or 30 seconds to pick something up from the ground? And then rifle though 5 menus to actually find the item you picked up? Jesus.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
3. UI and controls
As we know, good UI makes the game. For PC version, RDR2 UI and controls are horrible. From the get go you need to change the horse camera and controls. Still the horse handling will be terrible.The item and gun wheel that force you to use lots of keys and scrolling through items is good for consoles, but for PCs its horrible. Game takes your weapons into your horse, despite setting default equipment. It's annoying to take of the guns from horse -worse if you forgot them and mission already started. Re equipping hat-ugh, why not do this automatically when i get on a horse?

Yeah, this and the slow character animations are my biggest gripe with this game. I want to like it but it's impossible to enjoy my time when the act of simply playing this game is a chore. I've noticed a noticeable trend in Rockstar games, starting with GTA 4, where they started trying to make "realistic" games at the expense of the player. In GTA SA, I could run, fight, shoot like a standard videogame character, and in GTA 4, I felt like the character had arthritis or something. Same issue with GTA 5, although less pronounced, but even more of an issue with RDR2. Is it really necessary for it to take 5 minutes to skin an animal, or 30 seconds to pick something up from the ground? And then rifle though 5 menus to actually find the item you picked up? Jesus.
In RDR2 it is deliberate and intentional that things take some time. The game wants you to relax and smell the flowers so to speak. It's OK to say "but I mashed the buttons really fast where's my xp nao nao nao nao" but you're missing the point.

Axecack

Literate
3. UI and controls

In RDR2 it is deliberate and intentional that things take some time. The game wants you to relax and smell the flowers so to speak. It's OK to say "but I mashed the buttons really fast where's my xp nao nao nao nao" but you're missing the point.
Well then that's objectively bad design. Wasting a player's time to try and force them to play a certain way? That just reeks of pretentiousness. If I want to "stop and smell the roses" then I can do so at any time and in pretty much any game. For example: I tend to take my time with Souls games, drink in the scenery, and read item descriptions. I do this because the settings interest me. They earn my interest and then provide more flavor should I decide to look for it. Rdr2 on the other hand is like a wet blanket that prevents you from ever truly enjoying yourself.

cruel

Cipher
That's not only 'bad design', but more like 'retarded design'. At least give the player an option in settings to toggle 'realistic item collection' on or off. That's one of the reasons I couldn't stand playing this game and sold it after few hours (wasting players time + retarded controls).

If you want me to 'smell the flowers', let me do it on my own accord, not by forcing me to watch item picking or skinning animations all over again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Zombra

Patron
If skipping content is acceptable, then so is demanding to skip needlessly protracted animations that only contribute to busywork and padding.
First, I acknowledge your agenda, but secondly, no. It's OK to not like a game, but insisting that all games you don't like need to be changed from games into toys is highly destructive to the variety of games available. Even "Just make it an option" rarely turns out well.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
3. UI and controls

While there is some merit, under some circumstances in certain situations to this, there are also tenfold of matters where this is just bullshit. There's nothing about sniffing flowers or gazing at sunset when basic primary function like pressing UI button requires you to hold the key down 10 seconds (yes, I exaggerated) instead of registering the key-press instantly. If the game's immersion relies on waiting that white circle fill around the interaction button then something else has failed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom