Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It seems that sensitive MRYfags are kind of upset with my comments. Nevertheless, I must inform you that you can't demand from someone -especially me- to stop posting without trading it with something. Don't be such predictable cheap bitches.

Here's how it goes, if you manage to bring Dave Gilbert here to share his opinion about RtMI with us, I fucking promise to all of you I'll stop posting. But don't even fucking think of bringing a fake alt account pretending to be Gilbert, I want the real faggot!

-I WILL know if he's a fake faggot-

Bring him here and I'll be gone. If you don't, forgetti.

you sound butthurt, maybe apply more lube next time

Brancaleone

Prophet
If you don’t think that fans buying and positively engaging with The Secret of Monkey Island had any causal relationship to LeChuck’s Revenge getting made, I don’t know how to persuade you.
Except MI didn't sell very well in the beginning (it sold rather less than Loom), but MI2 was made regardless (and published barely 14 months after MI, which means it was greenlit well before MI had any chance to sell a significant amount). So, no, sorry.

And by the way, the whole "if you want great games support the developers" is a load of crock, and serves only to encourage mediocrity (or worse) and to keep having has-beens who live on the past glory of their lucky shot churning out rubbish. If you want great games, buy the great games, and only those, and stay the hell away from anything you don't like, regardless of who developed them. This is the only message that you should be sending: "I want a game of this caliber". Not: "I want this developer to make games, no matter how crappy".

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
I think that, if you find a specific game to be good, it is particularly fair to pay for it. I mean, of course, most games you have access to, barring special circumstances, should be paid for. But it is particularly important to do so for good games. Whether that will mean the author/company/whatever will make similar games in the future or not, the justice of the issue remains the same.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles releases a pixel art game in 2022, gets great reviews from players and game journalists and sells over a million copies but we can’t have pixel art Monkey Island, ThAt WoUld Be a ThrOwBacK. As if it would not have sold just as well or better with pixel art.

The desire to appear cutting edge and modern is what made every game have to be 3D in the early 2000s and spawned the graphical horrors that are Gabriel Knight 3, Simon the Sorcerer 3D and Escape. Now we’re back in the same position, we can’t have pixel art, that’s old shit, we have to have new shit.

Pixel art is just another medium choice, like oil paint or watercolours, it’s really annoying that it gets shat on like this and dismissed as outdated.
As much as I hate the artstyle and would have preferred oldschool pixel art, even that wouldn't have made the writing, jokes, and puzzles better.

Hellion

Arcane
All the "complete playthrough" videos I've seen omit to include that "letter from Ron Gilbert" that spawns at the end of the scrapbook after you've beaten the game. One could just as well read that letter and skip the entire game, it conveys all of his points, aspirations, feelings and experiences to the point that 30+ year-olds will even feel sympathy for him and his team.

Brancaleone

Prophet
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles releases a pixel art game in 2022, gets great reviews from players and game journalists and sells over a million copies but we can’t have pixel art Monkey Island, ThAt WoUld Be a ThrOwBacK. As if it would not have sold just as well or better with pixel art.

The desire to appear cutting edge and modern is what made every game have to be 3D in the early 2000s and spawned the graphical horrors that are Gabriel Knight 3, Simon the Sorcerer 3D and Escape. Now we’re back in the same position, we can’t have pixel art, that’s old shit, we have to have new shit.

Pixel art is just another medium choice, like oil paint or watercolours, it’s really annoying that it gets shat on like this and dismissed as outdated.
As much as I hate the artstyle and would have preferred oldschool pixel art, even that wouldn't have made the writing, jokes, and puzzles better.
It's an artystle meant to:
1) be very cheap to animate
2) obfuscate the absolute lack of artistic talent (which means more money saved, since you can commission it to cheap fucks, not to good artists who want to get paid properly)
3) provide plausible deniability to the two points above (since you can sell it to the public as 'quirky' instead of simply being a cheapskate choice)

If we add this to content, tone, humour, diversity requirements, etc., this game is a close match to the garbage we are witnessing on other media and platforms (series with cheapo CGI and terribad actors to keep costs down, content made to fit ideological requirements, etc.).

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
Darth Roxor

SX5BBNU.png

l52DMvi.png

Brancaleone

Prophet
Such a bizarre thing.
"I'm utterly washed-up, and since MI games have always been about my current existential state, it's only right and fair that RtMI should be washed-up as well. Yes, I'm telling you this only after you bought the game, otherwise you probably would not buy it."

Last edited:

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Don't really agree with "games has to grow up with the audiences". Assuming they'll usually have kids, you'd rather want to show to the children why the game was fun back in the day. It won't seem like fun to a child if it's about some old washed up protagonist whose life is completely played out, I'd think.
Sure, you can show them the original game.. Which in the case of Monke Island, is clearly what you should do.

Ravielsk

Magister
The thing is if this was written earnestly in 2020 then its a testament to his own failure. Basically nothing he outlines in the last paragraph is true about the game. Guybrush is older only in the sense that he now has a stubble. He is not really associated with anything from the past and is in fact treated more like a washed up joke. The story does not re-capture any sort of strength or youthfulness unless you count the constant memberberries the game throws at you. And in the end Guybrush just gets a repeat of the ending we already saw once.

For all intends and purposes if this letter is legit and this is what he set out to do then by his own admission he failed 100% of the way because this game does not add any closure to the old games nor does it really move the series... well in any direction really. Its existence quite literary changes nothing aside from adding another stinker to the series.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, I'm older, and not the same person as I once was. Thanks for the insight Gilbert. And now that I'm older, everything must revolve around this fact - having fun with things taking me back to a simpler time must be damned. Time to die.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.eurogamer.net/fans-think-lucasfilm-games-is-teasing-a-maniac-mansion-return

Fans think Lucasfilm Games is teasing a Maniac Mansion return​

Return to Monkey Island has just come out, and the reception to it has been overwhelmingly positive. This reception has, of course, not been missed by those at Lucasfilm Games, or more specifically, Craig Derrick who worked with Ron Gilbert and co to get the game released.

Now, Derrick has shared his delight at all the positive feedback for Return to Monkey Island in a heartfelt Twitter thread.

This alone is nice but not especially newsworthy. However, at the end of his thread, Derrick wrote some simple words that have caught the world's eye: "I'll be standing by when it's time to go BACK TO THE MANSION!"

Many have now surmised that the mansion Derrick is referring to is that of Maniac Mansion, Lucasfilms' first self-published game from 1987.

This game was designed by Gary Winnick and a certain Ron Gilbert, and saw players solving various puzzles as they made their way through the mansion of the fictional Edison family.

While this tweet alone may not be enough to conclude that Derrick was indeed teasing a revival of the point and click adventure, others have pointed out that he similarly tweeted about his desire to return to the mansion back in August.

Again, with a confident use of capitals, Derrick tweeted: "I know that I must... GO BACK TO THE MANSION!" Accompanying this tweet was a trailer for the 1989 EGA enhanced version of Maniac Mansion.

SBnt86p.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom