Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RoboCop: Rogue City - new game from Terminator: Resistance devs

kroki

Literate
i had to alt f4 at the dead whore investigation side quest. couldnt stand the sheboon dragging on words and lip smacking into my ear. its a pity because first story mission was kinda kino

The Decline

Arcane
I was looking at the developer's history and holy shit they have come a long way. The first decade of their existence was as a developer of handheld/console shovelware.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I mean, the game was fun enough to finish. The shooting parts were good but everything in between the shooting parts was horrible. Whoever wrote the sidequests deserves to be drowned in a septic tank. What kind of maniac would think it would be fun gameplay to walk back and forth getting a bunch of dorky cops to sign a card?? Plus that harpy reporter, I ruined every quest she puked onto me on purpose but they just loved her so much that they couldn't allow her to fuck off from the game. Why would she keep asking you to do things for her when you snub her every single time?? I stopped talking to any politician after the second guy and then at the end I was accused of supporting one of them. As if. Then there are the parts where you're *sloooooowly* walking around that decrepit detroit neighborhood looking for lame, minor crimes. Painful.

So, I would give this :4/5: if they cut out all the non-shooting parts of the game, but as it stands it pissed me off enough that I have to shave a point off. :3/5: and this is me being nice because the credit roll was very small.

Melmoth

Educated
Slam dunk nostalgia cash grab. If you were hoping for something akin to terminator resistance's para deus ex, it's not here. And Peter Weller must have consumed the entire audio budget himself.

There are some cute ideas, but everything is haphazardly implemented. The ricochet squares only showed up in the last level for me, for instance. There are maybe five turrets you can hack in the whole game, and maybe five safes you could crack as well. The armor tree was the most on point. The real issue is that they couldn't make playing as robocop fun, so they settled for making elements fun or adding twists or gimmicks. I liked that the mercenaries couldn't be headshot. The fuel canisters from terminator resistance also make a return appearance.

The plot has the nothing at stake problem, and feels like the second film, a random jumble of incoherent ideas that pay homage to the first film in some kind of mediocre way. The game as a whole is underdeveloped and linear. I don't think anyone had any expectations from terminator resistance, and I didn't even after reading about it here. This went the exact opposite way. The main city hub is essentially copy and pasted four times for you to visit serially. Whereas resistance had giant sprawling maps, with all kind of weird side missions and outposts. Not to mention gameplay. What the hell happened?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just found out about this game the other day and have been thinking of buying it. Think I might go ahead and get it tonight. I'd been curious to try their previous game, the Terminator one but never got around to it, but this one definitely caught my more immediate interest.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
rb3H7e0.jpg

Freedos

Novice
I'm glad, they deserve it. They are improving with each game, and following the right direction. I hope they know who listen to after a much more positive reception of the audience about a game with only two priorities: being fun and a good Robocop experience.

agris

Arcane
Patron
for those that played this (and liked it) and terminator: resistance, which is better?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
for those that played this (and liked it) and terminator: resistance, which is better?

This is definitely better in all aspects.
Resistance's open world sections with side quests are a bit boring and there is a lot more jankiness but still a really good game, especially if you like Terminator movies. Great atmosphere and T-800 are really scary.

Edit: Also both games are different in play style. In Resistance you have to be careful and sneaky for most the of the because of the terminators.
In RoboCop, you are the motherfucking Terminator, spreading death and justice to low life scum.

Freedos

Novice
I played both games and liked both, but Robocop: Rogue City is better on almost everything: gunplay, sidequests, rpg elements, etc. Maybe Terminator Resistance is a bit more solid as a tie-in with the movies storyline, but I think Robocop: Rogue City has better characters (not only the old ones). Anyway, both are dream games for its fans, respect their source material and work as the "third entry" better than the official movie sequel (not a difficult task, lol). But, again, Robocop is the superior game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Would love to see their take on:

1. Demolition man
  2. Total Recall
  3. Beverly Hills Cop (this would be GTA Vice-City like in some aesthetic senses)
  4. Lethal Weapon
  5. Escape from New York
As well as Judge Dredd as others have said

So is this actually good or is really nostalgia speaking?
I demo'd it for about an hour yesterday and uninstalled. Seemed like typical modern boring cinematic shooter. On top of that runs like crap while not looking noticeably better than games from 10-15 years ago.
I had the same feelings about their previous Terminator game - just a regular modern shooter. And yet a lot of people were fapping to that one as well. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with quality of these games and everything to do with skins they are wearing.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is this actually good or is really nostalgia speaking?
It is actually good.
The fact is that this is probably the most unique FPS I have played in at least a decade.
And as others have said, this one is actually very faithful to the source material.

It dares to not just be another boring shooter, but instead is drastically different from most others. From the gunplay to actually making the player a slow AF tank on legs, plus the welcome little RPG sprinkle.
It's not a concept that would last 40 hours, but the 15-20 hours that the game is long are just condensed fun.
Definitely one of my games of the year.

Not sure what Multidirectional is smoking tbh, but that shit is not good for him.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Both games are shit.
Fucking awful dreck getting a pass because they don't rape the source material.
Awful games though. Most 90s shooters are better than this manure.

Zlaja

Arcane
Some people (a.k.a autistic subhumans) whine about the stuff in between shooting segments being "boring", but those parts are nesseceary to properly set the mood and let the game's comedic/satirical nature fully shine. Almost every sidequest and every bloody dialogue in this game has a comedic undertone to it. In the end, it's what makes the game fun and worth experiencing more than anything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom