Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2022 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Suggestion for next year: List the games, but add a checkbox first, and only allow voting after said checkbox has been ticked.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Suggestion for next year: List the games, but add a checkbox first, and only allow voting after said checkbox has been ticked.
So... Your solution to have people avoid going through a list and deciding whether to vote on them is to have a list to go through and vote on, to make a list to go through and vote on.

Are you a member of a city council or something similar?

So... Your solution to have people avoid going through a list and deciding whether to vote on them is to have a list to go through and vote on, to make a list to go through and vote on.

Are you a member of a city council or something similar?
I am your sysadmin!
But I dunno. I get that some might not like games, but I've seen that previous polls have this separation between people who play or don't play games, so it could be a good variable to include.
ONE MORE EXCEL SPREADSHEET TO COMPLETE!!!! I HAVE TO MAKE MORE!!!

mediocrepoet

Patron
I am your sysadmin!
But I dunno. I get that some might not like games, but I've seen that previous polls have this separation between people who play or don't play games, so it could be a good variable to include.
I think it's very likely that I don't understand what your idea actually is. What is the first list that determines the actual vote? At first I thought you meant a checkbox to determine what games are actually included in the GOTY poll, but it seems that this isn't actually what you're driving at.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I feel like their needs to be some kind of pre-filtering done on this list. Too much random shovelware that obviously doesn't belong in such a contest.

Shaki

Arbiter
I used to do it like that, before redditors voted visual novel in as an RPG of the year for the sake of it. Now I understand when you're surrounded by retards, you have to adapt and act like them.

It's literally a member only poll this year. Do you think there is some grand conspiracy for redditors to sign up on an obscure RPG forum to vote for Elden Ring in a poll?

To be clear, I've often criticised the poll being shared on twitter/outside the site in previous years, but that's just retarded.

No conspiracy, but like anything else on the scene, Codex is not immune to decline. You can easily notice how every year Reddit and Resetera crowd is becoming more visible here, slowly taking over the site. DE winning GOTY was the tipping point, now I'm 100% sure retards became a majority, so I behave accordingly. Elden shit shouldn't even be on the poll, the list is usually a meme, but it used to be irrelevant, since the anime shit, action games and visual novels were naturally filtered by voters having a brain. But now, thanks to the previously mentioned majority of retards, who lack the brainpower to do anything else but vote on the Popular Thing , reasonable people have to do the opposite to counteract the decline.

This is essentially why I'm not voting. I haven't played enough of the games to be able to form an opinion about the relative quality of the ones I did play. My vote would thus be more about popularity than quality, and therefore meaningless.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
This is essentially why I'm not voting. I haven't played enough of the games to be able to form an opinion about the relative quality of the ones I did play. My vote would thus be more about popularity than quality, and therefore meaningless.
you must play at least 50% of listed titles for your vote to count

Viata

Arcane
you must play at least 50% of listed titles for your vote to count
If so, there will be 0 votes at the end.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
No one gives a shit, i know, but i finally have to say this:
(because when i'm around, i make the same thoughts [each time] but never voice them)

- I voted because it's the Dex and if my participating helps cultivate a busy forum image, done my duty.
- I did not want to vote because as usual, felipepe adds 578352448 titles that have zero quality, class or relation; we probably look bad just by referencing them. Lesbian games? Fucking die man.
- I did not want to vote because as usual, felipepe will provide us with a mean, median and mode, along with graph tables and 3 different explanations of the results! It won? It won! Waaait, wait!
it was voted the best by most, true, but in relation to 'x' as found within 'y', it actually got less, so maybe. Let's have a graph on this too.

And then i want to smack him, but he's too far away for me to do that and i get even more pissed off. Life sucks sometimes, lol

That said, a brofist to the man for doing all the work. I just honestly hope to God someone else does it next year. Sorry.

* Also, /incline we're finally doing this logged in only. That's the way it should have always been.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:deathclaw:

I didn't make a poll this year because i doubt that there is enough people interested in rpgs on the kodex this days.

Sooo you liking me or hating me aside,should i make a curated poll for goty like the last few years or i should bother??

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
:deathclaw:

I didn't make a poll this year because i doubt that there is enough people interested in rpgs on the kodex this days.

Sooo you liking me or hating me aside,should i make a curated poll for goty like the last few years or i should bother??

Can't be worse than felipepepe's poll consisting of 7 trillion obscure shovelware titles.

For me, the best use of these "Game/album/whatever of the Year" polls is to discover something good that I may have missed during the year, but that's impossible on this current list because it's too big and too full of garbage. A smaller list of more carefully curated titles would certainly be a lot better.

Viata

Arcane
It's like when you look for interesting indie games on steam. Back when there was the steam greenlight, you could find a good one just by searching for indie games. But now, it's literally impossible to do so and you have to pray the dev did a good job promoting his game otherwise no way people will buy it.
So when felipepepe puts 158 games and you decide to search for any game that is not triple A or from any dev you already know about and after looking for two or three that are literally trash, you just give up and assume they were put there just to say a lot of RPGs are being released every year.

Drowed

Arcane
you just give up and assume they were put there just to say a lot of RPGs are being released every year.
I mean, they were for sure.

That said, the year was not as bad as it seems at a superficial glance. When I first started looking at the list I thought, "oh shit the year was that awful"? Then you hit on two or three good(-ish?) ones and remember that in fact, they came out last year. The number of random/trashy games put on the list ends up erasing the ones that really stand out. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a good year, but it wasn't as bad as the list makes it sound.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So when felipepepe puts 158 games and you decide to search for any game that is not triple A or from any dev you already know about and after looking for two or three that are literally trash, you just give up and assume they were put there just to say a lot of RPGs are being released every year.
This is a poll, not a recommendations list. We need to do the poll with the 158 games precisely so we can then sort out which ones are actually noteworthy - then everyone can easily search them.

mediocrepoet

Patron
This is a poll, not a recommendations list. We need to do the poll with the 158 games precisely so we can then sort out which ones are actually noteworthy - then everyone can easily search them.
I agree: Nothing will ever be perfect. If you curate it independently, people will whine about why XYZ that no one except (maybe) them played, or sperg out about how technically this random phone game that was only available in Buttfuckistan should have been on there because it had a shovelware PC port released on December 31. And then if you have a poll to decide what games are on the poll, either people complain about that one in the way they're complaining here, and/or only vote in one or the other and then complain about that too.

Might as well just lump everything in there and rely on people to scroll through on their own and vote accordingly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom