Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, we'll see what happens. If it IS Fargo, it could be part of a scheduled publicity blitz he's planning for Torment, hence why it is being kept a secret for now.

Or it could be someone else. What other "very cool group of people" is out there? Heck, it could be anybody. Even Obsidian.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Though, I doubt Fargo has that kind of money.

He doesn't need money to sponsor them on Steam. He provides a shortcut to bypass Greenlight, and in exchange he gets a cut of their profits.

If all they get is a shortcut to Steam it sounds like a sour deal to me. They would've gotten greenlighted eventually unless the game turns out being bad. Also no GoG. This could be related as well. If the publisher gets a cut of Steam sales part of the deal might logically include very competitive distributors being left out.

It looks like a bad decision but there might be things weighing in that we don't know about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If all they get is a shortcut to Steam it sounds like a sour deal to me. They would've gotten greenlighted eventually unless the game turns out being bad.

And how long would that have taken? Dudes gotta pay their rent. Not everybody is you, Charles. ;)

Also no GoG.

Says who?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
If all they get is a shortcut to Steam it sounds like a sour deal to me. They would've gotten greenlighted eventually unless the game turns out being bad.

And how long would that have taken? Dudes gotta pay their rent. Not everybody is you, Charles. ;)

Also no GoG.

Says who?

People are really getting the wrong impression. :roll: Edit: I guess it could be worthwhile, depending on what the Greenlightstats were like in the first place and how big the cut was.

Was GoG announced? If it wasn't I'd say it is a fair assumption that they won't be getting it. Perhaps they refused it because it didn't get huge press (KS was really close). What they lose from GoG (if confirmed) might have made up for the Steam delay.

This is just an impression obviously. I don't know their numbers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
What a disappointing turn of events. What irks me is the last-minute addition of multiplayer, and the assholery atitude of the developers, claiming to release at the end of the month, even when there was another plan. And Grunker praising the devs because they would deliver on the release date. :lol:

Yeah, just a bunch of fucking liars, like the Banner Saga devs.

And to be honest, I don't think Fargo is involved in this.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am glad the game got delayed. I would get frustrated that everyone enjoys it while I'm playing Brutal Legend. This way maybe I can finish (or get bored of) BL before Expeditions is released. ;-)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Avonaeon I have to say that you guys probably shouldn't have added MP to the game before its release, even if you had the time and it was ready to be added. It just looks bad. The Kickstarter crowd really doesn't like the notion of "tacked on multiplayer". It's not worth the PR headache.

The delay on its own is bad enough, and by adding multiplayer on top of that you compounded the controversy. You should have saved it for a post-release patch. Heck, you could have implemented the multiplayer and not told anyone, and then released a patch that just unlocks it a week after the game's release.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Interesting, so they've found someone who'll let them bypass the usual Steam approval process in exchange for a cut of the Steam profits. That explains the delay. I hope it doesn't come back to bite them on the arse.

Hmmm: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kickstarter-watch.70894/page-82#post-2502336

My gut is telling me that it won't be an issue because who we are talking with is a VERY cool group of people.

I wonder if it's the same person. And I wonder if it's Brian Fargo.
Any company that does business with Steam (like selling steam keys) should be able to do that. Both GG and GMG do that. My guess it's the latter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
whoa, holy Mary mother of God, there's a pushed back release date?

STOP THE PRESS, SEND AWAY THE DORITOS, THIS IS VERY SERIOUS SHIT

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Avonaeon I have to say that you guys probably shouldn't have added MP to the game before its release, even if you had the time and it was ready to be added. It just looks bad. The Kickstarter crowd really doesn't like the notion of "tacked on multiplayer". It's not worth the PR headache.

The delay on its own is bad enough, and by adding multiplayer on top of that you compounded the controversy. You should have saved it for a post-release patch. Heck, you could have implemented the multiplayer and not told anyone, and then released a patch that just unlocks it a week after the game's release.

Indeed. Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20, and there's not much we can do now, but roll with the punches. It should be stressed that multiplayer isn't the reason for the delay though.
To be honest, I'm quite surprised at how negatively it's being received. I was genuinely excited to announce it, but that feeling has very quickly subsided. Right now, I personally think we should have just not said anything and let people be surprised when they got it, like you said.

AC Sleighter

Novice
Also, if the underlying cause in this is issues with publishers and distributors getting involved as it appears, it also looks really bad to the Kickstarter crowd. The Kickstarter crowd believes they are "donating" to help fund projects that would otherwise be unable to get published and bypassing publisher involvement.

I think it's obvious that, if they are successful with their Kickstarter project, some of these developers are going to enter into business with publishers for future development, future distribution and future projects. But these Kickstarters should be hands free from publisher involvement. Developers need to be, and should be allowed to make money and improve their business. Getting involved with publishers is often going to be the way for some of them to move forward. However, the "right" thing to do (IMO) is to fulfill the promises of those people who initially funded you first. Fiinish the game as described and intented in your Kickstarter campaign. Release it in the ways available to you to the people that backed it. THEN you can enter into a deal with a publisher for further distribution.

But as it is now, it certainly looks as if your kickstarter backers are getting the shaft, because of a deal with a publisher. Basically you are undercutting your original funders, and that's fucked up.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's because none of us have any friends so multiplayer is kinda pointless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom