Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There’s only one person on the whole Codex who could have written a proper review on WOTR. It is…

What a waste of opportunity. DarkUnderlord I want my money back.

S.torch

Liturgist
He does not play the game. He makes builds, tests them, and publishes them on his Steam page or wherever. He is not interested in the story itself. IMHO, it's worse than hate; it's exploitation.

That would explain why he can't read a single sentence correctly. You can't expect anything else from the buildtards.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So I guess they failed? Because it's pretty clear she's a bad case of CE from the start.
People who stick with her do "lmao evil" playthrough or are just curious.
Not gonna lie, I enjoyed this somewhat edgy anime writing in a cRPGs, just from novelty perspective.

Also, bitch is fun to build.
Another companion points out how obvious she is, that's not the surprise. The surprise is that she's unfixable, unlike Wendu and Arue (who showed up fixed but still has a lot of angst about it).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But what about spells man????

Lich spells are great but the greatest problem with the game is that once you merge spellbooks, you becom too powerful too quickly. It destroys the spell progression. Many spells copied from kingmaker like ice prison where bugged from months till they patched. The game is not bad, but Kingmaker is much better.

flabbyjack

Arcane
... Kingmaker took me over 100 hours to complete; WotR took over 200. In fairness, I spent a large portion playing in turn-based mode, but even if I had stuck with real-time, it still would have taken significantly more time than the 80 hours they claimed to be targeting.
This explains why Infinitron likes Solasta so much, the turn based combat in that game is so unbearably slow.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
There’s only one person on the whole Codex who could have written a proper review on WOTR. It is…

What a waste of opportunity. DarkUnderlord I want my money back.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker + Wrath of the Righteous Retrospective Review by Desiderius filled with Steve Sailer-style digressions about race, gender and politics.
Desiderius how much will you charge if I commission it?
Like any good mod I only do it for free. My brain has been too fried by this iPalantir to write in any form longer than 280ish characters.

As for Sailer he’s on the Haplo level. He has a style all his own. My only goal is to shake Owlcat (devs in general?) out of their Californication-induced stupor so they can re-connect with their rich roots, whether that’s Appendix N or Chekov.

Desiderius

Patron
So I guess they failed? Because it's pretty clear she's a bad case of CE from the start.
People who stick with her do "lmao evil" playthrough or are just curious.
Not gonna lie, I enjoyed this somewhat edgy anime writing in a cRPGs, just from novelty perspective.

Also, bitch is fun to build.
Another companion points out how obvious she is, that's not the surprise. The surprise is that she's unfixable, unlike Wendu and Arue (who showed up fixed but still has a lot of angst about it).
Real surprise. They did the same shit with Val. No man gonna fix me! Yawn.

Desiderius

Patron
Played crusade on story mode, opinion invalid.
Can you explain what benefits can be gained from playing crusade mode as intended? The easier difficulties just modify your resources gained and the amount of recruits you can buy per week by 2/3 and story mode fixes it so you the game doesn't fail if you hit -50 morale (which I never got remotely close to). It seems to me that this just means you have to do a lot more day-skipping and possibly spend a lot more of your own money to get the stack you need to beat the various armies on the map. As far as I'm concerned this doesn't make it worthwhile.
I’ve never skipped a day. It’s faceroll now on any difficulty if you buy Irabeth’s Army so I’m skipping that next run to see how I do.

Yes, balancing the various trade-offs (buying mats at certain points, taking the loan in P:K, etc…) is an integral part of any HoMM-style game.

As with P:K the benefit of managing your crusade/kingdom well is getting to the build-arounds (and global boosts in P:K) earlier so you can do more content with them in addition to you know defeating the Demon Army which is kind of the point.

Quality of implementation is a different question than the point of the thing in the first place. What is the point of playing the game at all?

Desiderius

Patron
Real surprise. They did the same shit with Val. No man gonna fix me! Yawn.
Valerie is a dynamic character with an arc. The point of Cam is that she's static.
As if. If she had an arc she could get an alignment change like Reg and reclaim her destiny. Needlepoint Knight FTW!

We both know why that isn’t allowed current_year. Don’t play stupid.

Humanophage

Arcane
I am currently in the middle of Act 4 at level 16 as a true neutral Witch Aeon, playing on Hard. My party mainly uses Seelah (mounted), Greybor (mounted), Camellia, Daeran (pet wolf), and Nenio.

My impressions are quite positive, and I definitely enjoy the game. The writing gradually improves and becomes fairly good by Act 4, although the start of the game is cringe with the SJW bombardment. In general, the game starts slow and keeps getting better, in contrast to Kingmaker, which is shockingly good early on (it felt like the second coming of Baldur's Gate after the prologue). I prefer each consecutive act and did not like the beginning, except in terms of combat. In fact, the early combat on Hard was so tough I even sacrificed some content to gain an edge by killing the elf woman to get her +3 bow - I liked that.

I would very strongly recommend getting the autobuff mod. No reason to skip it. With regards to difficulty, I think mods and changing difficulty make Steam achievements unreflective of preferences. Polls suggest many people play on Core.

Pros
- Itemisation is spot on. This is rare. Lots of memorable unique items for interesting combos. They are distributed well rather than simply getting more powerful all the time. There is reason to keep items from early stages.
- Lots of build diversity. Plenty of space for creativity. Good interaction between items and class abilities. Mythic levels make it even more diverse, all the while maintaining challenge.
- Fun strategic combat and many challenging encounters. I tried switching to Unfair, and it was a bit too tough, although I tried it in a tough area (Blackwater modified demons).
- Characters can make good combos with each other. E.g., my Greybor is pointless without the Paladin's finger, but he is extremely strong with it.
- Length. I like long good games. Complaining about it being long is preposterous, given that it actually gets better over time. If you're tired, drop it, you don't have to be completionist.
- Good amount of reactivity when it comes to mythic classes (although little reactivity with regards to non-mythic).
- Non-obligatory, missable joinable NPCs. Although it's still at the level of BG2 rather than BG1 in that sense (but then BG1 NPCs are bare-bones).

Neutral
- The setting is so over the top it was ridiculous at first. But then you get into the power metal groove.
- The theme of changing other characters is a bit cringey - however, it's not obligatory and you can change them for the worse.
- The writing is OK, starts bad but improves. There is sufficient branching. I keep Camellia around just because I like her, she's actually not that useful (I'd rather have Ember).
- The strategic layer is OK, it adds a bit to the atmosphere, and it's good to have a wacky module like this. The interface for it is straight up dumb though; why do you need a loading screen for every post. It's also far too trivial.
- The mounted combat seems a bit silly at first, but it makes sense given the huge size of the demons in the same areas. Mounts are OP for melee, however.

Cons
- Encounters towards the end get too heavy on early nuking and initiative, as in most turn-based games.
- Except in a couple of places (early tavern and end of act 3), there is no reason not to rest frequently.
- Trash encounters are a thing. The worst part were ghouls in the southeast in the chapel. But it matters less as nuking intensifies.
- Exploration is worse than in Kingmaker, although it is still not too railroaded.

I would not call it more of the same when it comes to P:K. P:K played just fine as RTwP, but here turn-based is the way to go for the vast majority of encounters.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
My main beef with recent crpgs is simple. The story and quests are completely unremarkable. Pillars had the same issue. Maybe crpgs need to go small in scope. I dont know.

Ryzer

Arcane
This game has surprising high amount of C&C and is considerably better than most RPGs in the top 100 RPGs list as well as significantly more polished now. The Crusader mode feels unexploited and expediated which is a shame, it could have been a good HoMM clone.
I actually liked the first act, how it immerses you into a shattered land with a main quest that finally matters and impacts the world in an RPG. Then as the world unfolds, it reaches a much bigger scope and you learn more and more that the real villain in this world becomes to be in fact the player.
Which is great, I always felt that Kingmaker allowed you to be a mass-murderer hero without consequences and that didn't make any sense.
There is a ton of reactivity to the actions made by the player, that's a plus Owlcat isn't praised enough.
While I do agree that the game suffers from many boring walls of text, it does have many interesting dialogues.

The game certainly has flaws but it's better than most shit released these days. Obshitian wishes it released a game as good as Kingmaker or this game.

Good game tbh.

Last edited:

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This explains why Infinitron likes Solasta so much, the turn based combat in that game is so unbearably slow.
I will never, ever trust anyone who ever claims that the turn-based combat in any RPG is too slow, UNLESS that game happens to be Wizardry 8 (which uses phase-based anyway).

I mean what the fuck do you expect from a turn-based game? Speed? Quick reaction times?

Get off the Ritalin ffs.

Desiderius

Patron
I am currently in the middle of Act 4 at level 16 as a true neutral Witch Aeon, playing on Hard. My party mainly uses Seelah (mounted), Greybor (mounted), Camellia, Daeran (pet wolf), and Nenio.

My impressions are quite positive, and I definitely enjoy the game. The writing gradually improves and becomes fairly good by Act 4, although the start of the game is cringe with the SJW bombardment. In general, the game starts slow and keeps getting better, in contrast to Kingmaker, which is shockingly good early on (it felt like the second coming of Baldur's Gate after the prologue). I prefer each consecutive act and did not like the beginning, except in terms of combat. In fact, the early combat on Hard was so tough I even sacrificed some content to gain an edge by killing the elf woman to get her +3 bow - I liked that.

I would very strongly recommend getting the autobuff mod. No reason to skip it. With regards to difficulty, I think mods and changing difficulty make Steam achievements unreflective of preferences. Polls suggest many people play on Core.

Pros
- Itemisation is spot on. This is rare. Lots of memorable unique items for interesting combos. They are distributed well rather than simply getting more powerful all the time. There is reason to keep items from early stages.
- Lots of build diversity. Plenty of space for creativity. Good interaction between items and class abilities. Mythic levels make it even more diverse, all the while maintaining challenge.
- Fun strategic combat and many challenging encounters. I tried switching to Unfair, and it was a bit too tough, although I tried it in a tough area (Blackwater modified demons).
- Characters can make good combos with each other. E.g., my Greybor is pointless without the Paladin's finger, but he is extremely strong with it.
- Length. I like long good games. Complaining about it being long is preposterous, given that it actually gets better over time. If you're tired, drop it, you don't have to be completionist.
- Good amount of reactivity when it comes to mythic classes (although little reactivity with regards to non-mythic).
- Non-obligatory, missable joinable NPCs. Although it's still at the level of BG2 rather than BG1 in that sense (but then BG1 NPCs are bare-bones).

Neutral
- The setting is so over the top it was ridiculous at first. But then you get into the power metal groove.
- The theme of changing other characters is a bit cringey - however, it's not obligatory and you can change them for the worse.
- The writing is OK, starts bad but improves. There is sufficient branching. I keep Camellia around just because I like her, she's actually not that useful (I'd rather have Ember).
- The strategic layer is OK, it adds a bit to the atmosphere, and it's good to have a wacky module like this. The interface for it is straight up dumb though; why do you need a loading screen for every post. It's also far too trivial.
- The mounted combat seems a bit silly at first, but it makes sense given the huge size of the demons in the same areas. Mounts are OP for melee, however.

Cons
- Encounters towards the end get too heavy on early nuking and initiative, as in most turn-based games.
- Except in a couple of places (early tavern and end of act 3), there is no reason not to rest frequently.
- Trash encounters are a thing. The worst part were ghouls in the southeast in the chapel. But it matters less as nuking intensifies.
- Exploration is worse than in Kingmaker, although it is still not too railroaded.

I would not call it more of the same when it comes to P:K. P:K played just fine as RTwP, but here turn-based is the way to go for the vast majority of encounters.
Okay LannTheStupid here’s my review. Excellent job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom