Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 55 JRPGs

Grimlorn

Arcane
Fuck objectivity
said every pleb noob ever

Objectivity has no place in opinion polls. It totally defeats the purpose of the poll in the first place.

"Vote for your fave games...but you must consider how everyone else views them in the process". It's bollocks.
Look it's Jason Schreier. Objectivity is the only way you can get an accurate measurement of something. Why even have scores if you don't care about objectivity.

Only really weak people need objectivity as an excuse to protect their opinions. The rest just say what they like or don't, with no fucks given for how the rest of the world views or judges something.

I'm not saying that objectivity isn't a valid measure of something or doesn't have a place, I'm saying that place is for fucking gays who haven't the bollocks to stand by their own opinion.
Which makes you a retarded faggot like Jason Schreier who also argues that objectivity isn't important either which they then use to justify misleading people. Kind of like this poll misleads people. It's not just Chrono Trigger which somehow got the most votes out of all games (and suspiciously the most down votes) even the recent most popular RPGs that have hundreds of pages somehow didn't get as many votes as it. Shining Force 2 is also suspiciously around 50th. Pokemon games are rated highly and in the RPG section. While I enjoyed Vagrant Story as a kid, it's just a storyfag game and it doesn't belong above the games it is on the list. Lufia 2 is not a top 20 RPG. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a strategy game but also on the list, and Sengoku Rance just looks like a Nobunaga's Ambition game without a map for your units to move around on. The list is fucked but at least it would be less fucked if more people had voted on it to raise some of the other RPGs up and down vote shit like Pokemon down. Jesus Christ. Pokemon is 4/5? Give me a fucking break.

Falksi

Arcane
Fuck objectivity

Objectivity has no place in opinion polls. It totally defeats the purpose of the poll in the first place.

"Vote for your fave games...but you must consider how everyone else views them in the process". It's bollocks.
Look it's Jason Schreier. Objectivity is the only way you can get an accurate measurement of something. Why even have scores if you don't care about objectivity.

Only really weak people need objectivity as an excuse to protect their opinions. The rest just say what they like or don't, with no fucks given for how the rest of the world views or judges something.

I'm not saying that objectivity isn't a valid measure of something or doesn't have a place, I'm saying that place is for fucking gays who haven't the bollocks to stand by their own opinion.
Which makes you a retarded faggot like Jason Schreier who also argues that objectivity isn't important either which they then use to justify misleading people. Kind of like this poll misleads people. It's not just Chrono Trigger which somehow got the most votes out of all games (and suspiciously the most down votes) even the recent most popular RPGs that have hundreds of pages somehow didn't get as many votes as it. Shining Force 2 is also suspiciously around 50th. Pokemon games are rated highly and in the RPG section. While I enjoyed Vagrant Story as a kid, it's just a storyfag game and it doesn't belong above the games it is on the list. Lufia 2 is not a top 20 RPG. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a strategy game but also on the list, and Sengoku Rance just looks like a Nobunaga's Ambition game without a map for your units to move around on. The list is fucked but at least it would be less fucked if more people had voted on it to raise some of the other RPGs up and down vote shit like Pokemon down. Jesus Christ. Pokemon is 4/5? Give me a fucking break.

The poll was there, people had chance to vote, if they didn't its tough shit.

I love Shining Force 2, I think it's a mint game which is really well paced and offers a nice bit of replayability experimenting with different squads. But it's obviously not rated that highly by others. I'm not gonna cry about that and claim it's objectively better than games higher up the list. It's the opinion of those who voted.

Different people like different things.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I never played it but how can it be right that sengoku lance is number one? This list is like those 4chan lists that avoid putting the obvious candidates at the top only to show how well versed the list maker or makers are with esoteric crap that are decent at best

Falksi

Arcane
I never played it but how can it be right that sengoku lance is number one? This list is like those 4chan lists that avoid putting the obvious candidates at the top only to show how well versed the list maker or makers are with esoteric crap that are decent at best

What's the major malfunction of some people in this thread? Don't you get how voting works FFS? :lol:

Sengoku "Rance" is top because......*drumroll*....it met the voting criteria to finish top!

You haven't played it, how can you even begin to question its position when you don't know how good or bad it is? Has every poll in the world got to marry up with all the normie spastics who've never even heard of these games?

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I watched a part of a video playthrough of rance [sic] so I can begin to question it absolutely
I'm questioning the motives of the voters, not the number of votes the titles received

Grimlorn

Arcane
Fuck objectivity

The poll was there, people had chance to vote, if they didn't its tough shit.

I love Shining Force 2, I think it's a mint game which is really well paced and offers a nice bit of replayability experimenting with different squads. But it's obviously not rated that highly by others. I'm not gonna cry about that and claim it's objectively better than games higher up the list. It's the opinion of those who voted.

Different people like different things.
Hey retard. The Codex has never been about placating the people who just like what they like. The Codex has always held itself to higher standards when it comes to judging and rating games objectively. Otherwise we'd have the same opinions as other sites like IGN in our ranks and give into the whole people like what they like nonsense, let's not offend anyone, we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings nonsense.

But do go on and rationalize the fuck ups in this poll and with how it was biasedly ran. Also it's amusing how you and Gastrick have to constantly upvote each other's posts and negatively rate anyone who points out what dumbfucks you guys are. Gotta have that positive reinforcement before you give each other reach arounds am I right?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Those of you crying about Chrono Trigger's ranking can probably thank me for that. It came in first place in the original poll, so when we did the better poll I made sure to remind everyone that it is in fact a piece of shit game. Those of you who don't believe me should go back and replay it. It's fucking trash. The only people who think it's good are going off memories they made when they were still wetting the bed or they are literally retarded. That or they haven't played enough JRPGs to even be commenting on the subject.

Codex Year of the Donut
I like the party combo attack system in chrono trigger

but I still think it's vastly overrated, lufia 2 is the best snes jrpg
good plot for a jrpg + good combat + good puzzles + good dungeons + lots of side content
very few weaknesses

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
Those of you crying about Chrono Trigger's ranking can probably thank me for that. It came in first place in the original poll, so when we did the better poll I made sure to remind everyone that it is in fact a piece of shit game. Those of you who don't believe me should go back and replay it. It's fucking trash. The only people who think it's good are going off memories they made when they were still wetting the bed or they are literally retarded.
The only problems CT have are somewhat simple mechanics (combo attacks and positioning should've mattered more) and lack of difficulty, but that is understandable because it's not meant to be a hardcore JRPG. Everything else it does it right: graphics, one of the greatest soundtracks ever, light but well constructed story, fantastic pace, sense of discovery, multiple endings... you underestimate how incredible this game was for JRPG standards in 1995. Playing it now in 2022 as a jaded man does that to you.

Then again, it inspired Daikatana so I can understand why one would be mad at its existence.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Only really weak people need objectivity as an excuse to protect their opinions.

sorry but this is just retarded

an opinion is an opinion, while fact is fact

people who cannot accept facts hide in the "everything is subjective" bullshit

its the same in movie circles when people say tarkovsky (the greatest) is overrated. no u are just an idiot who knows shit about cinema

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Those of you crying about Chrono Trigger's ranking can probably thank me for that. It came in first place in the original poll, so when we did the better poll I made sure to remind everyone that it is in fact a piece of shit game. Those of you who don't believe me should go back and replay it. It's fucking trash. The only people who think it's good are going off memories they made when they were still wetting the bed or they are literally retarded.
The only problems CT have are somewhat simple mechanics (combo attacks and positioning should've mattered more) and lack of difficulty, but that is understandable because it's not meant to be a hardcore JRPG. Everything else it does it right: graphics, one of the greatest soundtracks ever, light but well constructed story, fantastic pace, sense of discovery, multiple endings... you underestimate how incredible this game was for JRPG standards in 1995. Playing it now in 2022 as a jaded man does that to you.

Then again, it inspired Daikatana so I can understand why one would be mad at its existence.
I played it when it was relatively new and did not enjoy it enough to finish it. Tried again this year due to my butthurt over the original poll and liked it even less.

It has no character building, I don't give two shits about the story or characters, time travel is an excuse to be lazy and reuse assets, and enemies respawn every time you leave the screen, forcing you to do the same battles over and over in some instances due to revisiting areas and some encounters being hard to avoid if not mandatory. It's a very lazy and uninspired game. The best thing you can say about it was already mentioned by Rusty, but the group mechanics aren't that interesting to me.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The Codex has never been about placating the people who just like what they like. The Codex has always held itself to higher standards when it comes to judging and rating games objectively. Otherwise we'd have the same opinions as other sites like IGN

this is why codex is becoming like reddit

u have these noobs who are allowed to praise trash like Skyrim, Witcher 3, PoE, Fallout 76, etc.

Grimlorn

Arcane

I played it when it was relatively new and did not enjoy it enough to finish it. Tried again this year due to my butthurt over the original poll and liked it even less.

It has no character building, I don't give two shits about the story or characters, time travel is an excuse to be lazy and reuse assets, and enemies respawn every time you leave the screen, forcing you to do the same battles over and over in some instances due to revisiting areas and some encounters being hard to avoid if not mandatory. It's a very lazy and uninspired game. The best thing you can say about it was already mentioned by Rusty, but the group mechanics aren't that interesting to me.
No you're a retard. This isn't about Chrono Trigger either. I gave a list of like 10 things wrong with the poll. There are many more. Others have pointed out there were other problems, like certain games being on the list that didn't belong. Other games missing etc. I figured the poll would be redone in a year or so and republished with a better consensus, but Infinitron published it anyways.

And the things you're complaining about exist in every game. Random battles are a staple in JRPGs where you fight the same enemies over and over. You didn't care about the characters and story because you went in looking to hate on it because you're a hipster that can only enjoy things people don't like and hate things people do, which is why your criticism is nonsense because it exists in every other JRPG.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

No you're a retard. This isn't about Chrono Trigger either. I gave a list of like 10 things wrong with the poll. Others have pointed out there were other problems, like certain games being on the list that didn't belong. Other games missing etc. I figured the poll would be redone in a year or so and republished with a better consensus, but Infinitron published it anyways.

And the things you're complaining about exist in every game. Random battles are a staple in JRPGs where you fight the same enemies over and over. You didn't care about the characters and story because you went in looking to hate on it because you're a hipster that can only enjoy things people don't like and hate things people do, which is why your criticism is nonsense because it exists in every other JRPG.
Why are you replying to me when what I said had nothing to do with any of your posts? You seem extremely butthurt to the point of thinking that people are talking about you when they aren't.

Also Chrono Trigger doesn't have random battles you fucking idiot. If you don't even know that then I'm extremely happy that you did not participate in the poll. Yes I was such a hipster when I played Chrono Trigger as a teen in the early 2000s and did not like it. I was so hipster that I was a hipster before they even existed. This is probably the most retarded post I've seen since TemplarGR quit posting. Stop posting before you embarrass yourself further.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane

No you're a retard. This isn't about Chrono Trigger either. I gave a list of like 10 things wrong with the poll. Others have pointed out there were other problems, like certain games being on the list that didn't belong. Other games missing etc. I figured the poll would be redone in a year or so and republished with a better consensus, but Infinitron published it anyways.

Why are you replying to me when what I said had nothing to do with any of your posts? You seem extremely butthurt to the point of thinking that people are talking about you when they aren't.

Also Chrono Trigger doesn't have random battles you fucking idiot. If you don't even know that then I'm extremely happy that you did not participate in the poll.
I figured you were replying to me since Chrono Trigger was one of the things I mentioned. Also I didn't say Chrono Trigger had random battles. I said random battles where you fight the same enemies over and over are a staple in JRPGs, because you were complaining about fighting the same enemies over and over when returning to a screen which you don't have to do that often.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I figured you were replying to me since Chrono Trigger was one of the things I mentioned. Also I didn't say Chrono Trigger had random battles. I said random battles where you fight the same enemies over and over are a staple in JRPGs, because you were complaining about fighting the same enemies over and over when returning to a screen which you don't have to do that often.
Random battles would actually be superior in this case because at least it wouldn't be the exact same encounter in the same spot every time.

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)
You haven't played it, how can you even begin to question its position when you don't know how good or bad it is? (snip...)

Ah, the good old "how can you know it is bad if you haven't played it" argument. Brings me back to when Fallout 3 was being released.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Random battles would actually be superior in this case because at least it wouldn't be the exact same encounter in the same spot every time.
iu

You're actually braindead if you're suggesting that random battles would be a better system in a game so when backtracking through that one place in the woods outside the castle you don't have to redo the same battle. All this handcrafted content and battle system with positioning mattering, let's scrap that to return to the random battle formula, where there are the same 5 encounters in every area. My head hurts.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
iu

You're actually braindead if you're suggesting that random battles would be a better system in a game so when backtracking through that one place in the woods outside the castle you don't have to redo the same battle. All this handcrafted content and battle system with positioning mattering, let's scrap that to return to the random battle formula, where there are the same 5 encounters in every area. My head hurts.
Imagine defending bad design like this. The devs are the retarded ones for putting an unskippable battle in a spot you have to revisit multiple times. If you can't admit that is a big flaw then you are a simp. "Random" battles are hand crafted too. There's nothing special about that bro. Other games have done placed battles with enemies visible on the map much better. See DQXI or any of the mainline Neptunia games for an example. Chrono Trigger didn't do it well and being one of the first isn't an excuse for it being shit.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Anyone who voted on this list should be banned. Not because the list is bad per say but because they are JRPGs and we shouldn't talk about that weeabo shit at the Codex. Most the people who play them are faggots.

somerandomdude

Learned
Garbage elitist/hipster list that puts obscure games over more popular/mainstream ones just to feel smug/superior. It’s objectively wrong not to have Final Fantasy VII or X in the top 55. There aren’t 55 jrpg’s better than those.

Sengoku Rance at #1 is a pure autism take.

Also no Legend of Mana or Chrono Cross. And finally, no King’s Field is the biggest indicator that this is trash tier.
I honestly never heard of this Sengoku Rance game until I saw that it was #1 on this list. Maybe the game is as good as they say it is, or maybe codexers just have a sense of humor and are looking to fuck with wojaks like you?

6xf9dm.jpg

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Don't you get how voting works

I don't actually know how this poll works. If a game only gets one vote but it's a 5, does it score higher than a game that got a dozen votes including multiple 5s? I'm not a polling scientist or anything but that doesn't seem like a good way to conduct a popularity test. In fact it seems like a good way to make a list of every obscure AF game in the genre....

I'm not surprised it's full of niche games, but it's like someone went through and gave 5s to all the bad niche games. I know many JRPG fans IRL and none of them have ever played a single SaGa game, or probably even heard of the series. Yet you're telling me everyone got together on this forum and voted Unlimited SaGa, hands down the most hated game in the series--borderline unplayable--over the recent new titles, the re-releases of older games, and even the original classics that did make it to the west? Oooookay. Sure.

Gastrick

Cipher
If a game only gets one vote but it's a 5, does it score higher than a game that got a dozen votes including multiple 5s?
It isn't counted then, that's why Uncharted Waters and the Metal Max games aren't on it. It only counts once 7 people play it.

over the recent new titles
The only other Saga game that's come since is Scarlet Grace, and it's tied with Unlimited Saga. A very prestigious poster who was able to rate almost every game on the list gave it a 5, so that's good enough for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom