Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 55 JRPGs

S.torch

Arbiter
Imagine defending bad design like this. The devs are the retarded ones for putting an unskippable battle in a spot you have to revisit multiple times. If you can't admit that is a big flaw then you are a simp. "Random" battles are hand crafted too. There's nothing special about that bro. Other games have done placed battles with enemies visible on the map much better. See DQXI or any of the mainline Neptunia games for an example. Chrono Trigger didn't do it well and being one of the first isn't an excuse for it being shit.

This guy talking about "bad design" when some of the games in the list are almost unfinishable because of how broken they are....

The absolute state.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Imagine defending bad design like this. The devs are the retarded ones for putting an unskippable battle in a spot you have to revisit multiple times. If you can't admit that is a big flaw then you are a simp. "Random" battles are hand crafted too. There's nothing special about that bro. Other games have done placed battles with enemies visible on the map much better. See DQXI or any of the mainline Neptunia games for an example. Chrono Trigger didn't do it well and being one of the first isn't an excuse for it being shit.

This guy talking about "bad design" when some of the games in the list are almost unfinishable because of how broken they are....

The absolute state.
I didn't make the list. Wow you really are retarded.

S.torch

Arbiter
But you're bragging on how great the list is while at the same time saying that Chrono Trigger is terrible because muh broken mechanics. Make up your mind.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
But you're bragging on how great the list is while at the same time saying that Chrono Trigger is terrible because muh broken mechanics. Make up your mind.
Where did I brag about how great the list is? All I said was Chrono Trigger is shit. You are getting more retarded with each post. Just stop.

Ash

Arcane
It's not a conspiracy against FF, it's just different people's opinions.

Meh. Fuck people's shitty opinions. Haven't seen a gaming poll result that I came close to respecting in decades anyway. Shadow Hearts: Covenant is lame but whatever, at least it tries. I can respect that it has an entry, however on the other hand we got total storyfaggot non-games like Suikoden 2 or Chrono Trigger...Same gay shit as the Codex CRPG lists where the storyfaggot entries come out on top. It's just another day in the world of decline ruin (FF6 reference just for you cause I know you hate it, bitch).

Also to reiterate, Koudelka > Sissy Hearts

Ash

Arcane
As I mentioned before, it has a lot of charm in art/music/characters/story, but the gameplay is literally kindergarten levels of involvement. This is the case for a lot of "pure" JRPGs, but not 90s FF (except 4), so that's my trigger point. This is without factoring in the insane production values of FF6-9 that is leagues above any other classic JRPG, nobou's musical mastery, and the distinct lack of animu faggotry that dominates most JRPGs (it's still there, especially in 8, but more restrained and they took a lot of inspiration from western culture, art, architecture/environments etc).

FFV being the only one to make the list makes it clear that there was some real edge involved. But at least it wasn't FF4, which is the one that usually makes these gay lists, cause that game sucks and was a dumbed down sellout.

Last edited:

Gastrick

Cipher
FFV being the only one to make the list makes it clear that there was some real edge involved. But at least it wasn't FF4, which is the one that usually makes these gay lists, cause that game sucks and was a dumbed down sellout.
FFT and FFVI are both on the list. FFVI is quite far down.

somerandomdude

Learned
As I mentioned before, it has a lot of charm in art/music/characters/story, but the gameplay is literally kindergarten levels of involvement. This is the case for a lot of "pure" JRPGs, but not 90s FF (except 4), so that's my trigger point.

There is a fan made rom hack of Chrono Trigger that bridges the story between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. It's fairly well done for a fan game. It's had several different names at various stages of development, like Crimson Echoes, or Flames of Eternity (the final revision I believe). Squeenix issued a cease and desist order, but the rom hack can still be found on the internet. The rom hack has enhanced difficulty, I was actually surprised when I got dumped during a normal encounter which would have never happened in the original CT. I was careless and treated it like regular Chrono Trigger, by using emulation speed boost with normal attacks and expected to take marginal damage. No, my guys got 2-3 shot. Oh wait, I actually have to use some of these techs now in regular fights, and can't X mash my way through the game anymore like it's Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, or even worse an auto-battle walking simulator like XII. /shrugs. Anyway, it's worth playing Flames of Eternity for those who enjoyed the original.

Falksi

Arcane
It's not a conspiracy against FF, it's just different people's opinions.

Meh. Fuck people's shitty opinions. Haven't seen a gaming poll result that I came close to respecting in decades anyway. Shadow Hearts: Covenant is lame but whatever, at least it tries. I can respect that it has an entry, however on the other hand we got total storyfaggot non-games like Suikoden 2 or Chrono Trigger...Same gay shit as the Codex CRPG lists where the storyfaggot entries come out on top. It's just another day in the world of decline ruin (FF6 reference just for you cause I know you hate it, bitch).

Also to reiterate, Koudelka > Sissy Hearts
Like I said, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with other folks. If you think the opinions who made this poll are shit fair enough.

I'm just saying there's no conspiracy there.

Falksi

Arcane
I like the party combo attack system in chrono trigger

but I still think it's vastly overrated, lufia 2 is the best snes jrpg
good plot for a jrpg + good combat + good puzzles + good dungeons + lots of side content
very few weaknesses

I'd definitely go with that, Final Fantasy 5 is up there with it for me because of the job system.

Chrono Trigger is nice, but fuckinghell the combat is so fucking dull. Even those combo attacks (which are good) aren't really needed because of how the enemy setups. The idea is good, but the implementation rarely makes much difference.

I'm genuinely shocked at the people getting butthurt about Chrono Trigger on a forum like this. I'd have thought anyone raised on PC dungeon crawling and engaging PC games would have wanted more than what amounts to a beginners JRPG which is pretty wafer thin once you look past the graphics and music. Lufia 2's way better.

Falksi

Arcane
Only really weak people need objectivity as an excuse to protect their opinions.

sorry but this is just retarded

an opinion is an opinion, while fact is fact

people who cannot accept facts hide in the "everything is subjective" bullshit

its the same in movie circles when people say tarkovsky (the greatest) is overrated. no u are just an idiot who knows shit about cinema

But....polls are based on opinion not fact? How don't you get that?

Black

Arcane
Where Dragon's Dogma. Horrible list. Horrible users. Shame on you all.

Ereshkigal

Educated
I took the bait, I clicked, and now I'm outraged. And I'm letting you know this while I click on all the ads.

That's what lists are for, right?

S.torch

Arbiter
I'm just saying there's no conspiracy there.

Not quite honest here. The OP himself shared this image of the most played games in the poll:

8GiHzZL.png

Chrono Trigger and other games where one of the most played. Yet they obviously didn't end on the list because they have legions of brainlet haters who are going to always give them bad ratings (case on point: that guy above). This causes that votes from people who likes them and negative votes to null each other out, giving these games a mediocre position.

But the same doesn't apply to lesser known games, since less people known them, they have less haters. And basically end up in the top positions by default and not because they are the most loved.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Pokemon Heartgold / Soulssilver instead of Platinum or Black/White 2? Who will answer for these warcrimes?

HGSS had an inferior pokemon roster, worse music and infinitely less cool characters than DPP/BW2. DPP had great starters, great music and Cynthia. BW2 had the widest roster, Skyla, the best music and OK characters. How can such a mistake happen en masse to so many people?

HGSS Pokedex: https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/heartgold-soulsilver
Platinum Pokedex: https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/platinum
BW2 Pokedex: https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/black-white-2

Alex

Arcane
Chrono Trigger is gay for sure. Never got the hype.
Well, Chrono Trigger has some good qualities. Unfortunately most of them adjacent to gameplay. Its graphics looked pretty good for the time (for a JRPG, at least) for instance. Its music was pretty good and catchy as well. Perhaps most surprisingly, its story isn't a big steaming pile of anime crap, something that the people who made Chrono Cross were sure to fix thoroughly.

The gameplay isn't much worse than the average JRPG. You get a damage system with 4 different elements (with the shadow element usually being the result of combining the others), besides physical damage you get from normal attacks and some physical based special ones. Each character in the game gets exactly 8 abilities (some of these being spells and some not, depending on the character). While this number is low, most (all but one) characters also get three combination abilities with each other character, giving an extra bit of tactical depth when choosing your party. Some combinations might give you access to an elemental damage that you would otherwise lack, or give you some good defensive ability, or a cheap ability that heals everyone, etc.

I think the most aggravating part of CT is that it has a whole system set up for positioning in the battlefield to matter. When you encounter monsters, a combat begins, with both your characters and the monsters being placed in specific positions on the map. Various skills work on some kind of area, usually circles (around the character using them or around the target) and lines (between the character and a target or with a pre-set angle, such as horizontal). Ranged characters, when attacking an enemy that is near them, will switch to a melee attack as well (I believe that is weaker, although I am not sure if that is because ranged characters have lower strength or because the ranged weapon itself has a different damage value for melee). Despite all this, this hardly matter, especially later on in the game. Spells that affect the entire battlefield appear in the mid-game. And while they are at least expensive in mp, you eventually find an accessory that lower the mp price of all abilities by 3/4 of the total cost. Furthermore, while ranged characters switch attacks when the enemy is near, melee characters can attack any enemy at any time no matter how far it is from him. They just jump or walk to the enemy no matter the distance. And while monsters are shown to be moving around or playing or even sleeping in the stage while you are exploring, once you touch them, they will be positioned according to pre-select positions instead of letting you take advantage of whatever position they have. Finally, you don't even get the option to position your own characters. Not when the battle start, and not after it; the only way your characters will change its position in the battlefield is if some enemy ability moves him.

Still, despite being lacklustre in this aspect, and despite this huge missed opportunity, the game can be fun to play, doesn't take very long to finish and can get you excited with its simple but fun story. So I can see why people would remember it fondly, especially when you are comparing it to other JRPGs.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
however on the other hand we got total storyfaggot non-games like Suikoden 2 or Chrono Trigger
Dude...
You're defending FF7 inclusion is which even worse in that regard :lol:

Pokemon Heartgold / Soulssilver instead of Platinum or Black/White 2? Who will answer for these warcrimes?
4th gen is where Pokemon's mechanics peaked
And Johto was the best Pokemon campaign
These are cold, hard facts
Anyone who disagrees, sucks cock by choice

:rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom