Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
What the fuck is Tendo in Yakuza 7.
First phase takes half an hour, since spread of elemental attacks is awfull and in my trained and equipped team only Nanba had electro. So Nanba hit for 800, rest hit for 400 with fire, while he has thousands upon thousands of HP. I grind him down to stage 2, all nice and well. He does that cutscene with the brass knuckles. My goons debuff him again, Ichiban hasn't had a turn yet. He does his little God hand speech, I get the notification to interrupt it. He gets a second turn in a row, and oneshots Ichiban irrespective of HP. Fucking hell, so I had to start phase 2 with an anti oneshot buff on him with zero tells. and to retry I have to grind myself through that bosses gazillions of HP again.

This is legitimately the worst boss I have ever seen in any JRPG I ever played. Takes forever, super unfun and with bad RNG you get sent back to square one. Gotta grind up Zhao and the K*rean so that at least my team has decent electro damage output.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
That one-shot move is admittedly bullshit, but if all other measures fail, at least it can be perfect blocked.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Peerless Resolve is super crucial at that boss fight. A fucking horrible boss fight nontheless.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I was already quite miffed about Majima being pretty much unwinnable when you do not grind the Battle Tower at least halfway through. Arena's are only fun if they are optional. The game reeled me back in with the Kiryu fight, which felt tense and fair at the same time. But on the finish line it has to drop the ball again...

I shortly considered dropping it on the spot, but apparently all fights after Tendo are more cinematic than challenge, so time to thunder up and give him hell I guess. I really hope they drop the MC death = game over mechanic after Yakuza 7, it is pretty much the only reason why the two unfun fights (Saejima Taiga's punch oneshot my full health Kiryu on perfect guard full health) are so cancer.

Ivan

Arcane
What the fuck is Tendo in Yakuza 7.
First phase takes half an hour, since spread of elemental attacks is awfull and in my trained and equipped team only Nanba had electro. So Nanba hit for 800, rest hit for 400 with fire, while he has thousands upon thousands of HP. I grind him down to stage 2, all nice and well. He does that cutscene with the brass knuckles. My goons debuff him again, Ichiban hasn't had a turn yet. He does his little God hand speech, I get the notification to interrupt it. He gets a second turn in a row, and oneshots Ichiban irrespective of HP. Fucking hell, so I had to start phase 2 with an anti oneshot buff on him with zero tells. and to retry I have to grind myself through that bosses gazillions of HP again.

This is legitimately the worst boss I have ever seen in any JRPG I ever played. Takes forever, super unfun and with bad RNG you get sent back to square one. Gotta grind up Zhao and the K*rean so that at least my team has decent electro damage output.
yeah, I think it took me twice. I was pissed you had to start all over too. you'll get over it :)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
yeah, I think it took me twice. I was pissed you had to start all over too. you'll get over it :)

I have killed him after this post. The boss is pretty easy the second time, his only damage source is physical blunt, so a few Kongo armors reduce his damage per attack to 100 or so. Also his permanent instant death inflicts get rendered completely useless by Mr Masochist. He did the same spiel again, target Ichiban with an instant kill attack before he gets a turn in phase 2, but I applied Mr Masochist in the last turn of phase 1.

The gameplay was not that good, but the ending credits have a way to let one forget a lot of flaws about a game. If this mixture of well written characters, fun sidequests, tons of minigames, varied pacing and boatloads of soul is present in every Yakuza game I can see why people like this series so much. Now that it is a traditional JRPG I would say it is good enough to kick the PS4 up a notch as a JRPG machine. I was highly disappointed in Sony before this generation, as it seemed every rpg worth jackshit went to Nintendo.

I highly enjoyed it and will wait for the next turn based Yakuza. Maaaayyybeee I will conquer my hatred of brawlers and play Kiryu's games aswell, but time has to tell for that.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Maaaayyybeee I will conquer my hatred of brawlers and play Kiryu's games aswell, but time has to tell for that.
You should. While the turn-based combat of Like a Dragon is perfectly serviceable, I would lie if I said I didn't miss the action of earlier titles; it's not particularly deep, but I found it incredibly fun and I missed the hyper-violent heat actions - knocking poor thugs down and stomping on their faces never got old; I think it's something about the sound design. And Ichiban is pretty great, and it's a testament to the writers how well he works as a replacement main character, but Kiryu's mix of stoic badassery and goofiness when faced with ridiculous situations remains unsurpassed. (not to mention Best Boy Akiyama but if you decide to play the earlier games it'll be a while before he's playable).

I'm kinda drunk so sorry if this post is a bit incomprehensible.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Yes, majima is a dumbfuck.

HjXWMRt.jpg

But also a MAJESTIC dumbfuck.

Well, i suppose to be almost at the end here.

I gave up majima rts, absolute boring garbage.
I also can't play baseball for shit.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
i'm about 7 hours into y6 now, hoping the story manages to gain momentum; i've played 0-5 and this has been the only one i'm not digging. y7 is looking like it'll be a breath of fresh air.

playing on hard was a little difficult for once, at least. but only until you open up ways to make money..

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Judgment may not coming to PC ever, what's more the series can be axed because of that. https://kotaku.com/report-judgment-series-is-ending-over-pc-version-disag-1847271300

In short, Takuya Kimura's agency reportedly doesn't like the possibility of his model can be modded.

Report: Judgment Series Is Ending Over PC Version Disagreement
Takuya Kimura's talent agency has never seemed enthusiastic about computers.

Sega scored a big coup by signing up Takuya Kimura, one of Japan’s biggest celebrities, to star in its Judgment games. With Kimura comes bonafide star credentials and, of course, talent agency power. That last point, according to one report, could be the budding franchise’s downfall.

According to weekly publication Nikkan Taishu, a Japanese entertainment world insider is quoted as saying that the upcoming Lost Judgment will be the last entry in the series. “Because,” the insider explains, “those on the side of the game developer and those on the side of [Kimura’s talent agency] Johnny’s are said to have been unable to reach an agreement regarding the platforms to sell the game.”

Kotaku reached out to Sega for comment but did not hear back prior to publication.

Judgment was originally released on the PlayStation 4, but a remastered version came out on PlayStation 5, Stadia, and Xbox Series X/S. Lost Judgment will be released this fall on PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and Xbox One.

However, this past spring, when the game was announced, the Japanese website listed Windows 10 and Steam. Yakuza fan site Tojo Dojo points out that even after the listings were removed, the website code still showed a Steam logo—something Twitter’s Wario64 also noticed.

“The game is being announced for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One,” a Sega spokesperson later told PC Gamer. “Sega has no plans to bring Lost Judgment to PC at this time.”

According to Nikkan Taishu, Kimura’s talent agency will not okay the release of the game on PC, which might seem odd because the previous game was released on Stadia (but, to be honest, it’s unclear if the agency fully understood the platform). The issue appears to be due to allowing a proper PC release and how that would impact the talent agency’s management of Kimura’s likeness and general dislike of a PC-based platform.

The point of contention, as explained on Nikkan Taishu, is that Sega apparently sees the PC as vital from a business point of view. For Johnny’s, which still hasn’t quite fully embraced the internet like others in the music business, releasing a game directly online through a PC platform could be problematic for their business model. Because of this apparent disagreement, Nikkan Taishu reports that Lost Judgment is said to be the last in the series. (If so, I do wonder if the franchise will continue with another big star attached to a more amiable talent agency.)

Some background: Johnny’s is responsible for Japan’s biggest boy bands and has traditionally been internet shy. As Music Times explains, “Johnny & Associates had, in the past, refused to allow photos of its talents from press conferences to be published online and has since kept all of its artists from using social media.” Johnny’s didn’t open a YouTube channel until 2018!

The control that Johnny’s has over the likenesses of its artists has meant power. By allowing Takuya Kimura, one of the agency’s most famous stars, to appear in a game released on an open platform like PC, the agency might think it’s giving that up. Thus, this could explain why Johnny’s is rumored to be against a possible PC version.

Kimura was previously in a boy band called Smap, which imploded after three of the group’s members left Johnny’s in 2017. Another former member, Masahiro Nakai, left Johnny’s last year, and Kimura is now the only ex-Smap member still belonging to the powerful boy band agency.

The source tells Nikkan Taishu that Kimura, who is said to be quite the gamer, really got into the role of Judgment’s Takayuki Yagami and very much wants the series to continue. Because Kimura is such a huge star in Japan, he has operated under slightly different rules from other talent in the agency, including, most famously, his marriage and kids were not a secret.

If the talent agency is, in fact, preventing that from happening, hopefully Kimura can help bring about a compromise that ensures more future Judgment games.

Endemic

Arcane
Sounds like Kimura has the bargaining power to contract independently? Not sure why he didn't leave already.

Terra

Cipher
Just when Sega (just about) gets its own house in order, in walks another out of touch company to pick up the slack- why wouldn't you want your product on as many platforms as possible? Whatever the outcome, were I Sega I'd make sure never to work with that talent agency again.

"We'd rather make no money than lots of money because our talent's likeness may appear on mysterious digital distribution stores on PC, leading to increased profits and fame." Completely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Interesting,that would explain why there are no pc ports despite comments from Sega that they are very happy with the sales of the various Yakuza pc ports.

I guess they didn't expect to run into so backwards thinking people at this age when they signed the contract with the actor

I hope they port Fist of the North Star to Steam instead

flyingjohn

Arcane
This is actually good. That agency is a monopolistic control freak with crazy terms.
The judgement series has no future if it connected in any way or shape with them.And considering the product is digital they don't have to be afraid of tv blacklisting.

Nirvash

Liturgist
SEGA are hopeless idiots as usual, this is what ALWAYS HAPPENS then you use some big name faggot actor as MC, i bet they also got some "this can exist for 5 years top".

I hope they port Fist of the North Star to Steam instead

Likely in the usual western manga rights limbo, let's hope for a SEA release like super robot taisen.

mogwaimon

Magister
Sadly, your only option is still Stadia.

if you're at that point just get a used PS4 for christ's sake, no one should be subjected to friggin Stadia.

EDIT: We already got an English Fist of the North Star version on PS4, there shouldn't be any sort of manga rights issues involved here unless the company that allowed for the English PS4 release is as retarded as the Judgement guy's talent agency.

Nirvash

Liturgist
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand kiwami 2 done, way better than 1 but worse than zero.
Battle system improved a bit at the very end.

AUQ8faZ.jpg

Sorry haruka, no more dating, you eat too much and i refuse to play baseball.

Lol a the finale, the set up and the surprise.
Still big blonde boy was a absolute dumbass all game, lol muh dragon.

Ok yakuza 3 in download, no clue about what the story gonna be about.

Man, i wanted more minicar racing.
Golf was so so, also missing bowling.
Very nice virtual on and fighter in arcade but... NO SEXY CATFIGHT?

ABSOLUTE SHIT karaoke songs selection, really wtf.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
aaaaaaaaaaaaaand here we go, yakuza 3

I'm impressed, is not that ugly and gameplay is more fluid.

BUT

agPvFes.jpg

I GOT DUMPED?!

KAORUUUUUUUUUU WHAT THE FUCK

And wait, that rapist son faggot is the new tojo big boss? Did he aged 20 years in this 6m(?) timeskip or what?

I adore the new location, if the story don't go full retard (ah ah ah yes sure) this gonna be way better than both kiwami.
I LOVE FISHING.

But holy damn how useless is the map in this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom