Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

GreatPretender

Educated
It's pretty much confirmed how the game will play out now. Chris Roberts said that he constantly plays Dark Souls and loves its online element, so basicaly those of you who played Dark Souls know how the SP/MP interactions will look like.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm still not completely in favor of F2P, even when it's handled well. For myself, I'd prefer that the game be a self-contained universe and that no outside factors such as real-life money influence the game.

When F2P is handled well, though, I'm rarely disgruntled by it. The most insidious F2P games are built from the ground up to punish those who don't pay at every turn, but I respect Chris Roberts enough to feel confident that Star Citizen won't be one of them. If a premium game with ongoing server and development costs is worth putting a lot of time into, you ought to be willing to continue paying into it. Bear in mind that several months after release, lots of people might have earned their Constellation, and those who spent $225 explicitly to obtain it (rather than because they wanted to support the project to such a degree) might regret their decision.

If you want to see some pay-to-win horror stories, Google up some premium text MUDs (still actively played to this day) such as Achaea or DragonRealms. Some people who play these games love them so much that they'll pay tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars into the game for "artifacts" and other advantages, which would take an impossibly long time to obtain without paying, and do indeed allow them to totally crush people who haven't spent as much. The fans of these games are well aware that they're pay-to-win, by the way, but support the system anyway because it's what keeps the game profitable.

GreatPretender

Educated
You two still don't understand how the MP will work. The game will be a big lobby, and when you intercross with someone in space a p2p connection is enabled and you start a fight. You play alone and you don't see other people so it's a SP game in essence and you probably will need to have an item or smth for the MP mode to work..There is no 'ongoing server' like mmos have. All the content there is, is on your pc and not on the server. There is only a server to function as a matchmaker for the world. That's why there are no fees.

Go and play dark souls if you can't understand the concept.

Here is quote from Chris

I really like [console-only Dark Souls predecessor] Demon’s Souls, though. It was a combination of the most frustrating and rewarding game I’ve played in a long time.” “So in this, I don’t think we’re gonna be quite as tough as Demon’s Souls, but there needs to be some penalty. You won’t be able to just blast away and then respawn again. So if you go out in space and your ship gets destroyed, you’ve lost it. And i love the MP aspect aswell.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, I do. I've read all (or nearly all) of the publicity material for this game. I understand that it won't be a full-blown MMO in the traditional sense, but that's irrelevant. There will be ship loss, you'll be able to engage in combat with other players, and there will nevertheless be persistent elements to Star Citizen. It's right there in the Kickstarter and elsewhere: Players' actions will have a lasting effect on the game world.

Just because the concurrent player count is limited and everyone won't be "in space" with each other all the time, doesn't somehow massively change this discussion about F2P and so on.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Has the hardware for next gen consoles been decided? The last rumor I heard about the Xbox was pathetic, now 2 generation old mid range gpu.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Has the hardware for next gen consoles been decided? The last rumor I heard about the Xbox was pathetic, now 2 generation old mid range gpu.

So, same as the current Fagbox then? Or no, that was only one generation old laptop hardware.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Xian-profile-300x238.png
turtle power

Gord

Arcane

So, same as the current Fagbox then? Or no, that was only one generation old laptop hardware.

Even if they are going to use the equivalent of a GTX680 or HD7970 in there (unlikely due to high cost), it seems they are pushing hard towards higher resolution, higher fps and who knows, probably 3D.
Essentially that means that the games will still look mostly the same, just more smoothly and with more pixels.

High resolution (eyefinity, etc.) is pretty much the only reason to go for anything above mid-class GPUs already.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Even if they are going to use the equivalent of a GTX680 or HD7970 in there (unlikely due to high cost), it seems they are pushing hard towards higher resolution, higher fps and who knows, probably 3D.
Essentially that means that the games will still look mostly the same, just more smoothly and with more pixels.

This. Most of these aformentioned increases already eat up most of the power. Throw in larger levels and higher population densinity due to more RAM and well, that's it. Same shit.

GreatPretender

Educated
By the time this gets released (2014) next-gen consoles will be horribly outdated by pc hardware specs. Today we can buy 4gb graphic cards, in 2 years 8gb will be the standard with 16gb highest video cards and 32gb memory ram.

GreatPretender

Educated
By the time this gets released (2014) next-gen consoles will be horribly outdated by pc hardware specs. Today we can buy 4gb graphic cards, in 2 years 8gb will be the standard with 16gb highest video cards and 32gb memory ram.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
High resolution (eyefinity, etc.) is pretty much the only reason to go for anything about mid-class GPUs already.

True, but that's only because graphics have stagnated at around 2006-2007 levels, due to everyone switching to console games and only making shitty ports for the PC. If they continued improving from Crysis levels, who knows where we could have been by now?

So if next-next-gen consoles have better hardware, we might see at least SOME improvement. By the time this game gets done, who knows what we'll be running?

Gord

Arcane
True, but that's only because graphics have stagnated at around 2006-2007 levels, due to everyone switching to console games and only making shitty ports for the PC. If they continued improving from Crysis levels, who knows where we could have been by now?

So if next-next-gen consoles have better hardware, we might see at least SOME improvement. By the time this game gets done, who knows what we'll be running?

Partly, yes. Although I'd say that there have been improvements, only mostly in terms of additional effects like SSAO, higher AA modes and such, that don't offer a really substantial improvement to graphics, but demand lots of resources.
And considering how old those consoles are, it's still relatively impressive that they manage to pull off games like BF3 on them, which does look good even on the consoles.

Every bigger pc game being a port from shitty console hardware sure does aggravate the whole issue, though.
Plus it means that there isn't that much AMD and NVidia can do about it, so pushing for insane resolutions is about the only real selling point for high-end GPUs.

But if the new console generation will be used first and foremost to get higher fps and resolutions, I wouldn't expect a too big leap in graphics.
More important would anyway be if they manage improvements in terms of gameplay - with more memory and better cpus it should be possible to leave corridor levels behind, IF the devs actually want to do it.
Then again, it would have been possible on current-gen consoles, as well. After all, much larger and more complex games have been made on pcs in the 90ies whose hardware was ancient compared to even XBawks360 and PS3.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Even on the current consoles there are games with open worlds. Oblivion and its Fallout cousins, Red Dead Redemption, etc. It's possible but it seems like publishers (and consoletards) want their Cinematic Experience(TM). Derp sells.

BTW I thought BF3 looked shit on the consoles. Pretty much every PS3 game I have looks bad due to the low resolution, Final Fantasy 13 being the only one I can think of that actually runs in 1920x1080

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BTW I thought BF3 looked shit on the consoles. Pretty much every PS3 game I have looks bad due to the low resolution, Final Fantasy 13 being the only one I can think of that actually runs in 1920x1080
Maybe you shouldn't look the TV from a 50 cm distance. Playing from a normal 2-3m distance shows a much better picture.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Even on the current consoles there are games with open worlds. Oblivion and its Fallout cousins, Red Dead Redemption, etc. It's possible but it seems like publishers (and consoletards) want their Cinematic Experience(TM). Derp sells.

MGS4 and GT5 both run at 1080.

On the 360 not a single AAA game runs at 1080.

Also, corridors are popular because thumbsticks are an imprecise aiming tool and you need a relatively small area to not experience lots of frustration.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

MGS4 and GT5 both run at 1080.

On the 360 not a single AAA game runs at 1080.

Also, corridors are popular because thumbsticks are an imprecise aiming tool and you need a relatively small area to not experience lots of frustration.

Never played those so I wouldn't know. I know about the 360 being even more underpowered though, that's why I never bothered with it.

It's just retarded trying to aim with a thumbstick, that's why I always laugh my face off at people trying to play an FPS on a console. But most of the games that are corridor based don't need accurate aiming anyways. The excuse they normally give is that fewer gameplay options allow more foucs on the sotry and IMMERSHUN and CINEMATIC EXPERIENC0RZ, which is what they are pushing big time nowadays. Like "cinematic" is somehow a good thing in a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom