Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
Well it seems like they are going there... for 4.0 they plan to add interiors to cities. They are going into full production of this feature at the end of 2023Q1.

They hinted at it for a long time. First with landing pads on Microtech where you could land on buildings and take/deliver packages, then with Orison with completely open spaces to land and sometimes to even reach some of the shops and orison attack event having interiors in that city where fights took place.

It's clear that step by step they opened more and more cities and getting inside of buildings seems like logical progression of it especially considering player housing that was always on roadmap but up to that point mostly as patch of land somewhere in space rather than apartment. They plan to use procedural generation in making them so i guess Shenmue 2 will have its spiritual sequel (?).

Naturally another thing to add to pile of features that are yet to be delivered but it seems like logical expansion of what they were doing right now rather than just new feature out of the blue. The player made cities are far harder to make and create compared to rather systemic proc gen made interiors of buildings.

------------------
------------------

CIG runs tests today and it seems that open PTU is set to release shortly. Moreover in message with PTU they said that 3.18 LIVE will follow it shortly so probably they just want to push it even if it has a lot of bugs.

From roadmap perspective. 3.18 was supposed to release fall 2022Q3 but it is now to release 2023Q1 so two quarters slip and according to testers it is still in pretty rough shape. After they release 3.18 they move to server meshing directly with 3.19 patch in between mostly with 3.18 codebase.

Original plan for 4.0 was maybe "if everything goes smooth" Q1 of 2023 but it seems from what I can see it is more like 2024Q1.

NAILED IT !

image.png

Half a year slip is still less than i expected considering what they were trying to do though.

Perkel

Arcane
City interiors? What crazy thing will they come up with next?

They already did. Player made villages. They are already making whole tool that will be used by devs as well as it will be given to players down the line in future.

When i see both of them I can already see Chris eyes turn into dollar signs. Imagine the amount of money they will make when players will have to buy furniture to their houses, pay for land etc.

second life devs wet dream.

ADL

Prophet
Star Citizen gonna deliver the urban verticality I wanted from Cyberpunk 2077. I don't give a fuck how long it takes, no one else is doing anything remotely close to it and this is rad.

Myobi

Liturgist
I don't give a fuck how long it takes

What a coincidence, because neither do they.

I agree however, no one else is doing anything remotely close, and thank fucking lord for that.
It's just a game of chicken, waiting to see who dies of natural causes first, the devs or the customers.

Suuure, but in this case chicken is utterly retarded, and lays golden eggs like crazy, and unlike the other dumb ass farmer, instead of butchering the damn thing, this one is milking it like a boss.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Angthoron

Arcane
City interiors? What crazy thing will they come up with next?
Isn't this game like about spaceships? Why are buildings more important than ships?
Don't tell us your space fantasy doesn't involve having to save the world from spacefaring squirrels that are about to crash a Javelin into a full interior, fully player housed Trade Federation HQ.
RAM Requirements: All of it.
Chris comes from an era when you could just download more RAM any time.

Myobi

Liturgist
3.18 is the patch with the vulkan shit that's supposedly going to improve performance by a fuck ton, the one that was hopefully coming out last year according to Anally Drilled Lardass, right?

ADL

Prophet
3.18 is the patch with the vulkan shit that's supposedly going to improve performance by a fuck ton, the one that was hopefully coming out last year according to Anally Drilled Lardass, right?
The Gen12 (multithreaded) renderer is still DX11-based. Once that's out the door in the next couple weeks, a Vulkan client, further optimizations, enhanced shaders and stuff like ray tracing and AI upscaling will start being added to the game.

Gen12 brings some performance gains but DX11 is still bottlenecked given the game Star Citizen is. Not that I'd notice any of this since I'm on a 5800X3D and I'm getting 4K/120 already :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom