Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
in 1.0 version called static server meshing world will be divided into zones and each zone will be handled by different server. So for example Planet A will be handled by server 1 and planet B by server 2. This is compared to now where whole system is handled by one server that tries not to fry up. That alone is not something that is not seen in industry the major difference is that this is completely seamless and you can send missile from server A that will arrive on server B to hit something.
That version alone can reduce server strain and multiply amount of people on server a lot. Say something from 100 currently into 1000s

2.0 version called dynamic server meshing will be like name suggest dynamic version of this where world will get divided in smaller and smaller chunks depending on load and servers will spin up and spin down depending on that load. Say you have 10000 people on planet, that's too much for one server so planet gets divided into different servers where oner server handles city second one outposts third one caves and last one surface stuff. But then you have still 5k people in city so city itself goes from one server and it divides works between more and more servers distric A will have separate server district B will have another etc. But then it might be that all 5k people will want to be in same disctric so district itself will get divided into more servers. So bar will be separate server, hotel separate server, corridor separate server. The whole point of this system is to enable massive amount of people in same place at the fidelity of what you can see they are trying to do including stuff like physics, destruction system and so on. And the most important part it all works in background seamlessly so player never notices it. This kind of version has theoretical capability to hold essentially all millions of players in the same world without any instancing.

Most of MMO games work on instancing where each server can handle so much people at the same time and can't handle more than X amount of people so you need to switch server essentially starting from start or interacting with completely different people.

Then there is cutting corners. For example you won't find in any MMO advanced physics because it is nightmare to have shitload of particles that all synchronize with clients and interact that would instantly make server cry, same with complex gameplay. You can have creature attack you but it's pathfinding will be very limited because server has to do not only few creatures attacking you but also everyone else on server.

Here in theory with their magical dynamic server meshing you can have true one world without instancing or cutting corners. In theory at least. Who knows if it will be possible, only attempt at it can show if it works or not.

The ironic part is that nobody really wants, or needs, this. Their game design makes it a really shit idea. You can't have virtual hangars on planets or stations, they have to be actually existing ones. During patches we already have the issue that we often get stuck in spaceports because too many people (realistically probably less than a dozen, considering the server size at the moment) are trying to leave the space port, so there are often no hangars available to retrieve your ship so that you can leave the station. This happened regularly during the exo threat event earlier this year, and it's going to keep happening during events and especially when everyone is suddenly in the same instance.

Not to mention that if we ever see anything like a real release for Star Citizen, you're just going to have whales with $12321321 ships camping outside spaceports all the time and shooting any new players trying to play the game. And there won't be anything anyone can do about it, because you're playing on a single instance with everyone else.

Perkel

Arcane

Not to mention that if we ever see anything like a real release for Star Citizen, you're just going to have whales with $12321321 ships camping outside spaceports all the time and shooting any new players trying to play the game. And there won't be anything anyone can do about it, because you're playing on a single instance with everyone else.

Armstice zones already are in place. Their end goal is to completely remove them as their law system gets upgraded. Even now it is pretty nifty so if you kill someone you get crimestat and can't land on any UEE station unless you want to get shot down.
You can even attack station defenses but this will start to spawn more and more UEE navy around space station.

If you have crimestat there is bouty hunter guild which basically means there is price on your head and target on your forehead for everyone. It even spawns missions to hunt you.

Perkel

Arcane
Basically they are splitting builds for public in two.

Do you like new features but everything is broken ? You will use preview version which is effectively what LIVE is now.
Do you want stable game without bugs ? You choose LIVE which will be new "LIVE" that will be much more stable.

The issue came from PES going online in 3.18 when it basically broke game for half a year.

This way if something major like PES is about to release they can safely work on it, patch it and bugtrack it for let's say a year on preview channel while rest will be playing on live servers with smaller features coming that will not break game.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Some more details on pyro.

- it is effectively what people at citizencon played in pyro booth
- 8 hours a day for next two weeks with rotating access
- pyro as proper preview for more people will come later this year, this is not full release for public.

ADL

Prophet
Looks fun and I've heard good things about today's preview channel release but I don't want to touch it until we get the new interaction menu stuff. Missions in Pyro appear to be a lot more open ended as seen in the Citizencon gameplay from a couple years ago where you can tackle the same mission using different approaches (going loud/stealth/diplomacy).

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Looks fun and I've heard good things about today's preview channel release but I don't want to touch it until we get the new interaction menu stuff.
Same. The CitCon presentations reignited my interest, but I don't want to deal with the old Inner Thought/Starmap/Inventory after seeing the new stuff.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Basically they are splitting builds for public in two.

Do you like new features but everything is broken ? You will use preview version which is effectively what LIVE is now.
Do you want stable game without bugs ? You choose LIVE which will be new "LIVE" that will be much more stable.

The issue came from PES going online in 3.18 when it basically broke game for half a year.

This way if something major like PES is about to release they can safely work on it, patch it and bugtrack it for let's say a year on preview channel while rest will be playing on live servers with smaller features coming that will not break game.

Yeah, of course they found some way to make money off the shitshow, lmao.

They could have done this without charging for it.

Myobi

Liturgist
"We" caught up ^^; After 12 years of development the biggest brag about this project is "... but look how much money we dumped at it.".

Claiming its been badly managed is just a coping mechanism for those who don't understand how a massive company operates. Part of the project is almost finished the single player game is feature complete and in polish phase, the MMO will take a little longer.
^ This project is a gold mine.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Lol, Star Citizen reddit, most of posts with 1-100 upvotes, then there is this: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/15p56dv/im_unsubscribing/

Reminds me the "WoW killer" bullshit, as if CiG needs Starfield or any other fucking game to fuck it all up.

I signed my then-teenaged son and I up for a 2 year journey in 2014 when the release date "was 2015 or 2016". He's now 25yo and his 2nd child should be born in the next couple of weeks. CIG still hasn't released their 2nd solar system.

Beastro

Arcane
People want to get scammed. It's the only reasonable explanation.
Religions, in a nutshell.
It's not that, it's people wanting to reach out and touch something greater in their life. It's sad that for these people it's this game, which really, is just a world being created that they want to live in rather than live in this one.

The same impulse that makes any sort of great striving in people happen is behind this, it's just that it can go astray.

This is the essence of sacrifice and how fundamental it is to the human condition.

Myobi

Liturgist

Answer the call! Hold the line! Hope restored!
Apologize to Chris Roberts n buy an Idris now!

It's money printing TECH.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So since I recently got upgraded to fiber optic internet I decided to give this a go again. Downloaded the 90+GB in about 30 minutes so that was impressive.

Unfortunately, even with my 10900K and 4090, the tutorial is utterly incapable of running over 60fps. Even if you turn the settings down to low it actually runs worse.

Oh, and I tried to just eat the burrito like it says to do but it didn't register that I ate it so I was being told to eat a non-existent burrito before it would allow me to open the door to go out and explore. Imagine such a fate!

Horrible.

P.S. Just for giggles I posted basically the same thing in the global chat and half the responses were an acknowledgement of the ongoing performance woes but the other half were blaming first my internet connection then my CPU then saying I needed to buy an AMD 3D processor. I snorted so loudly I think some migrating geese above my house may have altered their course momentarily.

Myobi

Liturgist
P.S. Just for giggles I posted basically the same thing in the global chat and half the responses were an acknowledgement of the ongoing performance woes but the other half were blaming first my internet connection then my CPU then saying I needed to buy an AMD 3D processor. I snorted so loudly I think some migrating geese above my house may have altered their course momentarily.
wut? Not even one "brah... do you even SSD?!?"?

They should put Star Citizen on Stadia so people without the proper hardware can play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom