Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

ADL

Prophet
Stadia did irreparable harm to the concept of cloud gaming because people assumed Google's offering would be peak when it was probably the worst service out there. When my GPU burnt out I was stuck using GeForce Now for my initial playthrough of Kingdom Come Deliverance and that was easily a hundred times better than my experience Stadia and I could barely tell that it wasn't running locally even though I had a pretty crap internet connection at the time, 40mbit/second DSL. I have no idea why anyone would touch something like Stadia when you're buying into their bullshit ecosystem rather than using something like GeForce Now where you're using your own digital libraries.

Since then I have tried other services like Xbox Cloud Gaming, Amazon Luna and ShadowPC. Stadia remains the worst one by far.

Perkel

Arcane
The problem here isn't with cloud but with technical capability of running games.

In mindlet view you have bunch of servers and they run games. Surely 256core Epyc server CPU for few thousands and enterprise MX300 also for few thousands can run games better than your 10 year old rig no ?

Well no. In server cpus and gpus stability and virtualization (aka more cores) is more important than running things fast because applications in cloud usually don't need any graphics and even if you have graphics involved it is usually highly specialized software that uses some part of gpu rather than full stack.

So you end up with hardware that is not build for playing games. Moreover unlike consumer hardware which is tasted for games that enterprise hardware is not which means even more trouble with running games in way of bugs, unoptimizations and so on.
Even nvidia geforce now doesn't give you 4090 with some high end gpu.

Then there is business aspect of cloud gaming.

Companies want to earn MORE money rather than less. Which means that at some point they have to take more money out of your pocket not less. Especially if they want to invest BILIONS into servers farms that all have failure rates, amortization, loans, maintance to keep lights on.

They wouldn't move in such way if at the end of this expensive road they will earn less.

The problem here isn't with cloud but with technical capability of running games.

In mindlet view you have bunch of servers and they run games. Surely 256core Epyc server CPU for few thousands and enterprise MX300 also for few thousands can run games better than your 10 year old rig no ?

Well no. In server cpus and gpus stability and virtualization (aka more cores) is more important than running things fast because applications in cloud usually don't need any graphics and even if you have graphics involved it is usually highly specialized software that uses some part of gpu rather than full stack.

So you end up with hardware that is not build for playing games. Moreover unlike consumer hardware which is tasted for games that enterprise hardware is not which means even more trouble with running games in way of bugs, unoptimizations and so on.
Even nvidia geforce now doesn't give you 4090 with some high end gpu.

Then there is business aspect of cloud gaming.

Companies want to earn MORE money rather than less. Which means that at some point they have to take more money out of your pocket not less. Especially if they want to invest BILIONS into servers farms that all have failure rates, amortization, loans, maintance to keep lights on.

They wouldn't move in such way if at the end of this expensive road they will earn less.
Besides there is the tiny issue of latency as well as QOS, which is not so much of an issue with business applications or even streaming but pretty much kills all games.

The sheer amount of data centres you would need to support low latency streaming by having everyone geographically close to a data centre would surely not ever pay for itself.

I think the people who found Stadia to work well must have had extremely favourable conditions, would be a minority.

Having said that I never tried Stadia however I did try OnLive in 2015 at a conference. The lag was noticeable even on a tiny screen. The one guy manning the booth clearly did not give a fuck either, he knew it wasnt going to last much longer.

Hobknobling

Learned
Stadia did irreparable harm to the concept of cloud gaming because people assumed Google's offering would be peak when it was probably the worst service out there. When my GPU burnt out I was stuck using GeForce Now for my initial playthrough of Kingdom Come Deliverance and that was easily a hundred times better than my experience Stadia and I could barely tell that it wasn't running locally even though I had a pretty crap internet connection at the time, 40mbit/second DSL. I have no idea why anyone would touch something like Stadia when you're buying into their bullshit ecosystem rather than using something like GeForce Now where you're using your own digital libraries.

Since then I have tried other services like Xbox Cloud Gaming, Amazon Luna and ShadowPC. Stadia remains the worst one by far.
This is a side-tangent of a side-tangent, but I am so fucking fed up with people glamorizing the FAGMAN companies. Most of the things they produce are complete garbage. They have entrenched positions in certain important markets and other than that, they just keep throwing shit at the wall and see if they can make it stick. Often the execution is embarrassingly bad from the get-go.

When you work in the IT industry you hear all the time how we should always follow these companies, how they have the best people and how they are the best in everything. It is so tiring.

This is a side-tangent of a side-tangent, but I am so fucking fed up with people glamorizing the FAGMAN companies. Most of the things they produce are complete garbage. They have entrenched positions in certain important markets and other than that, they just keep throwing shit at the wall and see if they can make it stick. Often the execution is embarrassingly bad from the get-go.

When you work in the IT industry you hear all the time how we should always follow these companies, how they have the best people and how they are the best in everything. It is so tiring.
The only thing I liked that G**gle have made was Maps, and even that they bought. Losers with an undeserved reputation for high caliber staff.

Hobknobling

Learned

The only thing I liked that G**gle have made was Maps, and even that they bought. Losers with an undeserved reputation for high caliber staff.
Google is probably the best company in the world when it comes to zero downtime and scalability. I can give them that.

But then you look at things like YouTube and it is just puzzling how bad they are at everything. I know that many of the decisions are motivated by their ad business and force-feeding slop to the average moron, but it is still unbelievable how mismanaged basic things like UI and incentivizing good monetizable content is. People like Mr. Beast (who just basically abuses the thumbnails and bad discoverability of content) are a living proof that the site is completely broken and working against itself in the long term. Just look at what Valve has done with Steam and then compare it to the short-term ADHD platform YouTube is being forced into and it all becomes quite evident.

To tie this all up back to Scam Citizen, I have witnessed medium-size IT companies drop 50-100 million to their own shitty "Metaverse" products. These investments are driven by bunch of unbelievably overpaid asshats with zero taste and even less technical understanding. It is basically the exact same circus of unfulfilled promises, but in a business-to-business setting.

Google is probably the best company in the world when it comes to zero downtime and scalability. I can give them that.
Downtime and scalability of what? Their ads platform? Anything good they have they bought it.
To tie this all up back to Scam Citizen, I have witnessed medium-size IT companies drop 50-100 million to their own shitty "Metaverse" products. These investments are driven by bunch of unbelievably overpaid asshats with zero taste and even less technical understanding. It is basically the exact same circus of unfulfilled promises, but in a business-to-business setting.
I have not witnessed that. While I worked for Arse-enture I saw enormous lip service to the meta verse but no real investment. Their implementation was completely clown, like some kid made it in Unity in a week.

The high up board, out of touch asshats thought it was a great idea and they don't understand anything about technical matters. But I think even they had their doubts and so there was no real investment in it, to my knowledge. It was a case of making bricks without straw. They wanted us to define it, sell it and then build it.

Really cringe and embarrassing. They've probably pivoted to "AI" now.

Can confirm. I've worked for one of these companies and at another of comparable size and there's nothing magic about the former. They have a lot of resources and operate at large scale, and they can hire very good people, but they also do a lot of cargo cult engineering and the executives are often clueless and out of touch.

In the end they're just large companies with the upsides and downsides that come with that.

Myobi

Liturgist
vmxve59dlq2c1.png

First he brutally fucked his wallet, next the girlfriend, Chris Roberts is truly unstoppable.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
vmxve59dlq2c1.png

First he brutally fucked his wallet, next the girlfriend, Chris Roberts is truly unstoppable.

Reminds me of that story about the guy who spent thousands on that Final Fantasy gacha game and got divorced. I can't imagine spending thousands on stuff that isn't real.

Was actually making me think about the height of WoW's popularity when people were losing their jobs, marriages/relationships, flunking out of school, etc. because they were so addicted to the game and didn't do anything else. Gaming addiction is a real thing.

Beastro

Arcane
vmxve59dlq2c1.png

Reminds me of that story about the guy who spent thousands on that Final Fantasy gacha game and got divorced. I can't imagine spending thousands on stuff that isn't real.

Was actually making me think about the height of WoW's popularity when people were losing their jobs, marriages/relationships, flunking out of school, etc. because they were so addicted to the game and didn't do anything else. Gaming addiction is a real thing.
A dude I knew on the main EQ emulator server before P99 dropped put of uni because he got so sucked into it. Saddest thing was a few months after that happened the server shut down wiping all his shit out.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I saw a guy flunk out of college because he got addicted to TinyMUD back in the early 1990s.
Whenever I go too far down a gaming hole, I always tell myself, "Well, be sure to tell everyone about your level 70 gnome wizard when they ask why you got fired, I'm sure they'll all be impressed!" Tends to get me focused. :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw a guy flunk out of college because he got addicted to TinyMUD back in the early 1990s.
Whenever I go too far down a gaming hole, I always tell myself, "Well, be sure to tell everyone about your level 70 gnome wizard when they ask why you got fired, I'm sure they'll all be impressed!" Tends to get me focused. :lol:
Roll barbarians instead. Far more likely to impress.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Roll barbarians instead. Far more likely to impress.
True, true. You're welcome to my cardboard box party. :lol:

Myobi

Liturgist
SC Community: Went in debt and my wife is divorcing my ass after spending thousands of dollars in jpgs :(

Also SC Community: Woot! If it is such a scam, how come it keeps printing all this money?!?! Haha, jpgs go brrrrrrrrrr!

SlamDunk

Arcane
It seems that this game can be rather entertaining to watch when played with the right group of guys. Good video editing also helps, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom