Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • If ONLY Chris Roberts announces or say something about a feature or timeline, only 17% of them are in game now. Based upon 100~ statements. If Chris Roberts + a dev says similar things, it goes up to the mid 70%.
  • Every Chris Robert Timeline from 2016/2017, was 5-6 years off. Chris Roberts 2021 was 2 years off, with many features now released or soon to be released from 2021. So 2-3 years. He's gotten better.
  • If multiple devs say something and Chris roberts doesn't mention it, it has a 94% of being in the game currently within 2 years.
  • This means we want news, NOT mentioned by CR at all. Kinda funny.
Hilarious.
bargaining stage i see, they are getting there

NwNgger

Educated
So far everything at Citcon is as I have forseen. We got Pyro for next year. Maybe. And now CIG can't wait to tell you about Hair Physics.

Two thirds of this could've been a single blog post but Chris Roberts has to have his padded out circle jerk.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So far everything at Citcon is as I have forseen. We got Pyro for next year. Maybe. And now CIG can't wait to tell you about Hair Physics.

Two thirds of this could've been a single blog post but Chris Roberts has to have his padded out circle jerk.

Great way to justify a bunch of "business expenses" while you go party for a weekend.

NwNgger

Educated

I will give credit where it is due. They actually have a working version of the thing I thought they'd never have. Server Meshing. It's pretty impressive from a technical viewpoint of having a continuous game space shared seamlessly between multiple servers. The true test will be if this is as scalable as claimed. This is the tech that will make the big promise of "hundreds of star systems." technically possible. But the big excuse of "everything is waiting on server meshing" is now null and void. Server meshing is here so we should be getting content like new planets and solar systems much more rapidly, right?

Oh Pyro has a nebulous "next year" date. Hopefully the PTU version won't be a complete disaster.

It's really annoying to watch every nebulous statement from CIG devs be twisted into a bigger deal than it is by braindead shill content creators. SQ42 is "feature complete". But it was feature complete in 2016, and then 2018. But if you were to listen to the usual suspects, this on the spot statement from Brian Chambers earlier today is totally proof of either a full shadowdrop of Squadron 42 at Citizen Con. Or a hint that a release date is coming for sure totally for real. None of that is happening you dumb retard shills. Chris Roberts is going to come on stage at the last presentation. And say "We're working hard on Squadron 42. We don't have anything to show today. But we will soon. The game is feature complete." and then just walk off. And that will be your allotted Squadron 42 news for the next 3 years.

Prove me wrong, CIG.

Myobi

Liturgist
Pyro coming to PTU on October 31st btw

Meanwhile back in 2021:

Feels like the game could be ready for a soft launch in 1-2 wipe cycles when you consider Pyro, medical gameplay loop and the gen 12 renderer are only 2-3 quarters away.

Meanwhile back in 2019:

Get that dick out of your mouth and just go buy another Idris.

I will give credit where it is due.
You are a fucking idiot. Don't give them credit. Give them dolla dolla, buy an Idris now.

I'm sure this amazing tech will work great in bigger scales with high latency players, those "thousand player" battles will be great as soon as any graphic card can render that shit up.

ADL

Prophet
Meanwhile back in 2021:

Feels like the game could be ready for a soft launch in 1-2 wipe cycles when you consider Pyro, medical gameplay loop and the gen 12 renderer are only 2-3 quarters away.
My estimate about Pyro was a year off. Big deal. I wasn't wrong. It was sitting around pending the implementation of server meshing and it took too long so they went 'fuck it' and are releasing it as a separate instance in the meantime. Gen12 and medical was implemented a while back.

A wipe cycle is 18-24 months. I'm still sticking to my prediction of a soft launch in 2025 with Stanton/Pyro/Nyx implemented. We'll probably be seeing the Nyx system tomorrow.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm no expert in Star Citizen, just here for the lulz and could possibly check this thing out if it ever exists in some real sense as a game not a lifestyle of huffing Chris Roberts' farts, but does any of this shit (bolded below) exist yet?

From 5 years ago...

W-well I guess this is it for Star Citizen.

It's been fun sifting through the comment sections acting as if this is the end. Even if the continual crowdfunding slowed down (it hasn't), they were valuated at 500 million and Chris Roberts retains 75% ownership of the company. Even in an apocalyptic scenario for the company where they desperately needed cash, Chris would easily be able to get another 300 million+ dollars today. It's even better to see people who unironically believe the Persistent Universe that is live right now is just a ship in a hangar or some shit.

Keep in mind these financials end right as they started pumping out content every quarter including major features like mining, FPS AI, their first planet containing their first city Lorville, tech that doubled or even tripled performance within the persistent universe and by the time the fiscal year ends for 2018, DNA character creation, ArcCorp the equivalent of Coruscant in Star Wars, salvage, the inclusion of 5 more ships, 5 major reworks and the law system will be in too.

/r/StarCitizen_refunds and Something Awful on suicide watch.

ADL not on suicide watch, but his dealer hooked him up with some great hallucinogenics. What's the secret sauce?

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm no expert in Star Citizen, just here for the lulz and could possibly check this thing out if it ever exists in some real sense as a game not a lifestyle of huffing Chris Roberts' farts, but does any of this shit (bolded below) exist yet?

From 5 years ago...

W-well I guess this is it for Star Citizen.

It's been fun sifting through the comment sections acting as if this is the end. Even if the continual crowdfunding slowed down (it hasn't), they were valuated at 500 million and Chris Roberts retains 75% ownership of the company. Even in an apocalyptic scenario for the company where they desperately needed cash, Chris would easily be able to get another 300 million+ dollars today. It's even better to see people who unironically believe the Persistent Universe that is live right now is just a ship in a hangar or some shit.

Keep in mind these financials end right as they started pumping out content every quarter including major features like mining, FPS AI, their first planet containing their first city Lorville, tech that doubled or even tripled performance within the persistent universe and by the time the fiscal year ends for 2018, DNA character creation, ArcCorp the equivalent of Coruscant in Star Wars, salvage, the inclusion of 5 more ships, 5 major reworks and the law system will be in too.

/r/StarCitizen_refunds and Something Awful on suicide watch.

ADL not on suicide watch, but his dealer hooked him up with some great hallucinogenics. What's the secret sauce?
Probably military grade anticholinergics.

Myobi

Liturgist
mM2fVAU.png

2023:
POLISHING.jpg

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
You had me at the space combat and then completely and utterly lost me when the platforming, puzzles and Starfield Tier ground combat showed up.
Its going to be Starlancer but with a worse story and annoying ground bullshit, that's what I can gauge from that trailer.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You had me at the space combat and then completely and utterly lost me when the platforming, puzzles and Starfield Tier ground combat showed up.
Its going to be Starlancer but with a worse story and annoying ground bullshit, that's what I can gauge from that trailer.
Yeah physics puzzles and navigating a boat is not something I imagine when thinking WC/Privateer, would take it for a new CoD or something.
Still, we'll see I guess, in 5 years or whatever it takes to polish.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I will give credit where it is due. They actually have a working version of the thing I thought they'd never have. Server Meshing. It's pretty impressive from a technical viewpoint of having a continuous game space shared seamlessly between multiple servers. The true test will be if this is as scalable as claimed. This is the tech that will make the big promise of "hundreds of star systems." technically possible. But the big excuse of "everything is waiting on server meshing" is now null and void. Server meshing is here so we should be getting content like new planets and solar systems much more rapidly, right?
Frankly I don't really get it. The main problem of MMOs has always been a number of players active within a single scene, not the size of the gameworld. The latter pretty much doesn't matter (that is, does not require any excess amount of resources), and instancing separate scenes & segments has been a thing since forever. And for the former this meshing thing does nothing (it's more about traffic speeds & latency than server power anyway). So what's the point of this tech? Switching between instances seamlessly, and that's it?

Developer

I will give credit where it is due. They actually have a working version of the thing I thought they'd never have. Server Meshing. It's pretty impressive from a technical viewpoint of having a continuous game space shared seamlessly between multiple servers.

"WE DID IT!!!"

In real life however they have a half baked demo of 20 entities in 3 servers.

Why do people keep falling for this shit?

Developer
Day 1 - apologize

Pyro coming to PTU on October 31st btw

So how exactly is that supposed to work? If you fly somewhere they spin up a server with pregen proc gen world, then save that data, fly somewhere else, repeat?

Is the prior tech video somehow supposed to support this?

Developer
Frankly I don't really get it. The main problem of MMOs has always been a number of players active within a single scene, not the size of the gameworld. The latter pretty much doesn't matter (that is, does not require any excess amount of resources), and instancing separate scenes & segments has been a thing since forever. And for the former this meshing thing does nothing (it's more about traffic speeds & latency than server power anyway). So what's the point of this tech? Switching between instances seamlessly, and that's it?
That's one problem, but its really only one of many problems. Here are some I can think of:-

As you say, the more players you have in a local area the more data that needs to be shared hence the unsolved n-squared problem.

Its not a big deal though if you don't mind waiting 5 seconds for an update. So people that jerk off to Kubernetes and think its a solved problem, no. Business transactions are much slower and less dynamic than your average game.

Imagine you have an open world, no corridors. If you look into the immediate horizon you will see objects that need to be synced with you and all other players. Furthermore if you fire a projectile very fast this projectile needs to be synchronized with all entities, geometry, objects between the shooter and the target. (If you don't actually interact with these objects or do so very very slowly, this isn't that much of a problem).

Even if you could solve all that by magic, then you still have the problem of one lagging player does a transaction on an object and other people want to do something that object at that time.

Then syncing inventories.

The more detail the more data. Detailed ships, moving parts, makes everything very network heavy.

Throw latency, stability and server costs in.

Perkel

Arcane
So how exactly is that supposed to work? If you fly somewhere they spin up a server with pregen proc gen world, then save that data, fly somewhere else, repeat?

Is the prior tech video somehow supposed to support this?

in 1.0 version called static server meshing world will be divided into zones and each zone will be handled by different server. So for example Planet A will be handled by server 1 and planet B by server 2. This is compared to now where whole system is handled by one server that tries not to fry up. That alone is not something that is not seen in industry the major difference is that this is completely seamless and you can send missile from server A that will arrive on server B to hit something.
That version alone can reduce server strain and multiply amount of people on server a lot. Say something from 100 currently into 1000s

2.0 version called dynamic server meshing will be like name suggest dynamic version of this where world will get divided in smaller and smaller chunks depending on load and servers will spin up and spin down depending on that load. Say you have 10000 people on planet, that's too much for one server so planet gets divided into different servers where oner server handles city second one outposts third one caves and last one surface stuff. But then you have still 5k people in city so city itself goes from one server and it divides works between more and more servers distric A will have separate server district B will have another etc. But then it might be that all 5k people will want to be in same disctric so district itself will get divided into more servers. So bar will be separate server, hotel separate server, corridor separate server. The whole point of this system is to enable massive amount of people in same place at the fidelity of what you can see they are trying to do including stuff like physics, destruction system and so on. And the most important part it all works in background seamlessly so player never notices it. This kind of version has theoretical capability to hold essentially all millions of players in the same world without any instancing.

Most of MMO games work on instancing where each server can handle so much people at the same time and can't handle more than X amount of people so you need to switch server essentially starting from start or interacting with completely different people.

Then there is cutting corners. For example you won't find in any MMO advanced physics because it is nightmare to have shitload of particles that all synchronize with clients and interact that would instantly make server cry, same with complex gameplay. You can have creature attack you but it's pathfinding will be very limited because server has to do not only few creatures attacking you but also everyone else on server.

Here in theory with their magical dynamic server meshing you can have true one world without instancing or cutting corners. In theory at least. Who knows if it will be possible, only attempt at it can show if it works or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom