Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
That didn't help much but thank you.
Its a fancy fluffy way to say that shit stays where you leave it... I think.

Perkel

Arcane

yup on mass scale, and unless developers creates some sort of way it never gets deleted. Basically skyrim item persistence on steroids in mmo.

So in theory you can take boxes and shit go to place create base and it will stay there working as your outpost/base

Myobi

Liturgist

yup on mass scale, and unless developers creates some sort of way it never gets deleted. Basically skyrim item persistence on steroids in mmo.

So in theory you can take boxes and shit go to place create base and it will stay there working as your outpost/base
Yeah, it's a dumb fucking feature that will cause massive problems, I can already see entire guilds dropping massive amounts of cheese wheels on spawns locations and what not.

Soon you'll see CIG talking about auto-moderation TECH to deal with the amount of bullshit players are going to do by abusing such systems, because their 100 interns aren't enough for it.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, it's a dumb fucking feature that will cause massive problems, I can already see entire guilds dropping massive amounts of cheese wheels on spawns locations and what not.

Soon you'll see CIG talking about auto-moderation TECH to deal with the amount of bullshit players are going to do by abusing such systems, because their 100 interns aren't enough for it.

For sure. But on other hand thanks to it you can customize your ship/home/base as much as you want.
Item persistence is one of the best things about betsheda rpgs.

From what i read they create some tools to deal with such problem. Effectively each zone has set max value of objects and if someone will drop like you said wagons of cheese wheels server will start to clean stuff above that max value limit.

If you right now drop on old server you can see ton of litter left by people.

potatojohn

Arcane

For sure. But on other hand thanks to it you can customize your ship/home/base as much as you want.
Item persistence is one of the best things about betsheda rpgs.

From what i read they create some tools to deal with such problem. Effectively each zone has set max value of objects and if someone will drop like you said wagons of cheese wheels server will start to clean stuff above that max value limit.

If you right now drop on old server you can see ton of litter left by people.
so you can walk into someone's house and drop 10000 gum wrappers and cause all their shit to cease to exist?

Perkel

Arcane
Well it is that time of the year Myobi CitizenCON. 21.10.2023 2 day event will occur where you will either be converted into Chris cultist or your strength in SC being scam will increase achieving "I knew it lord" status.

Latest set of rumors about it:

- unlike other CitizenCons this will be 2 day event.
- 1st day will be all about Squadron 42
- 2nd day will be all about Star Citizen
- Squadron 42 will be released next year
- price hike of SQ42 from 30$ to 70$ (SQ42 was removed from shop few months ago)
- 1st day is blowout of info about SQ42, actors meeting fans, story discussion, gameplay presentation etc.
- Pyro will be released without Server Meshing this year (basically you log into pyro instead of stanton)
- Server meshing 4.0 patch will be released into PTU early next year. Split of pyro and s.meshing needed for testing purpose, was supposed to be released both at once in 4.0
- new Mealstorm destruction system will be presented (full united destruction system for ships, bodies, structures) and it is requirement for new damage system (no longer any HP points) and armor.
- Nyx system presentation coming in 4.1
- Odin system presentation coming on release of SQ42 (SQ42 campaign ends with discharge from military into Star Citizen)
- Magnus system teaser
- Terra system teaser
- 90% of CIG developers (around 900 people since last year) work on SQ42 for past 5 years leaving only around 150 for SC.
- SQ42 dev branch is much further than SC one while some things are shared (like renderer)
- Raytracing showcase.
- VR support showcase
- Jesus born again.

Are you excited myobi ? Is this what you were waiting for ?

:kingcomrade:

This is the last trailer they released for SQ42. It was 4 years ago.

Myobi

Liturgist
Are you excited myobi ? Is this what you were waiting for ?
My wallet is jizzing cents all over the place.

I honestly hope they do release Squadron 42 next year (Hahahahahahahaha!!!), I want a complete CIG product out there, without dem "BUT ITS ALPHA!" excuses, and I do hope it comes priced at $70, if their single player experience comes any close to Star Citizen, those reviews are going to be glorious, memes for age.

Myobi

Liturgist
Imagine spending thousands of dollars on a bomber space ship just to get countered by a dude with a laser from WISH... this fucking thing is something else.

Myobi

Liturgist
1st day will be all about Squadron 42
2nd day will be all about Star Citizen
LOL!

evyljeaf38tb1.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
I figured out their money making scheme.

As you know (or not) i got my access via someone donation. Someone donated me starter pack (150$ one). I instantly melted it to worst ship aurora which left me around 110$ in store credit. I spend 20$ on SQ42 and left with 90$ in store credit for years at this point since i like to work from bottom.

Then 3.21 came out and it was only accessable via PTU. To get access to PTU you need to at least spend 1$ of your (no donation) money. So i looked at way to spend that 1$ and did what most of those people do. Upgrade to ship. I changed from aurora to another starter (just little tad better) 300i paying for it with 19$ in store credit and 1$ from me.

And this is where it hit me. This is how they get their dough.
Basically I thought that all of those huge $$$ ships were bought by people in bulk or something. Like someone seees 500$ ship they buy 500$ ship.
But no. This is how they get money.
First someone starts with starter ship. Then they spend one month say 10$ to upgrade it. 10$ is nothing for most of people so they do it. Then that someone after another month spends another 10$ to upgrade it to something else.
Basically those 400-500$ ships are bought mostly by people who do those chains of upgrades to get enough "worth" in store credit to then melt upgraded ship and switch to something or upgrade to expensive ship. So they introduce more ships at more expensive prices so that people can upgrade to them spending 10-20$. At some point you reach that 500$-1000$ tier or more as long as there are more expensive ships to upgrade to.
Obviously there are whales too but if you look at the average (around 100$ at the moment) it makes sense that most of people do those upgrades.

Another avenue is their sub. There is 10$ and 20$ sub that gives you swag every month in form of ingame items like armors, helmets + some extra marketing shit.

Either way i am not virgin anymore I spent 1$ on star citizen.

Last edited:

zapotec

Liturgist
No eh, it's where our secret agent sumdrunkguy will pour the alchool in the punch

DnhVpzLX0AE2AXW.jpg

Azdul

Magister
This might be kind of charitable, but Eve Online must have been unbelievably janky back in 2003, based on how it performs reasonably decently now, but still chugs in big blob battles and probably always will. There's an argument that it took nearly 2 decades for it to get polished and perfected to modern standards. Star Citizen isn't going to be an exception to the rule that MMORPG's are a hard bitch to tame.

But it's still beyond weird that the game runs okish now, as okish as any other, but the spreadsheets are holding everything back for some reason. I'm still holding to the theory that the game could be "finished" within a few months if pushed, but the permanent alpha phase brings in more $$$ so it's going to keep feature creeping for as long as it can get away with it.
Eve Online launched on 1% of the budget of Star Citizen (4 mln $$$).

The improvements in performance are due to slowing down time in busy areas (which took a decade to implement - and wouldn't work in Star Citizen) and server CPUs getting faster in 20 years.

MMOs usually do not improve performance of their core server technology - as when enough players quit - the performance becomes 'just fine'.

NwNgger

Educated
- 1st day will be all about Squadron 42

No it won't. That's not even a rumour. It's pure speculation from clickbait SC you tubers starved of anything. There will be NOTHING for Squadron 42 at Citizen Con. We will at best get a demo for Pyro and a 4.0 release date. There has been NO indication from CIG of SQ42 at Citizencon whatsoever. We are going to get two days of mostly boring and dry "tech" talk for features that will not even be present 5 years from now. And backers will act like CIG lied and are betraying them based on their own unsubstantiated speculation. It's really fucking tiresome. But will result in entertainment from salty and entitled whales.

I'd love to be wrong by the way. You can rub it in my face if I am.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom