Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
e0DkfA4.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finally beat Sauron in The Mirror of Galadriel for Age of Wonders, after five weeks.

YsWLusJ.jpg

Gil-galad defeated Sauron in single combat.
1luVsSp.jpg

Among the enlisted men, this was my champion:
NomtBAU.jpg

His little sidekick was pretty tough, too. I call him Golden Boy.
p41Avpd.jpg

Golden Boy didn't make it.
nerXFMb.jpg

Brilliant map.

SoupNazi

Another two "single plan" runs on Door Kickers 2. It is really tough to get these to be as clean as possible, as the enemy placement and behavior is different each time, so in that single plan you have to account for multiple possibilities, leading to a lot of completely wasted grenades. On the smaller maps, it's entirely possible to make a plan that you can run 5-10 times and it will always succeed, except for really bad cases of RNG where the AI just randomly decides to blow your whole team up with a blindfire RPG just after entry. On the bigger maps, though, I have so far never managed to make a completely safe plan that you can run several times and get majority success. Both the plan and the RNG kinda has to come together. I guess this makes sense, and that's what makes real-life operators impressive; even the best of plans that seems to account for all possibilities can fall apart, and then they have to improvise.

I've intentionally limited myself away from that improvisation, and in the end, on the big maps "Single Plan" is rarely included as a challenge by the game, it's not intended to be played that way I think. Still, these two are without any friendly casualties, so I was pretty happy with them. Neither one is as perfect as some of the small map plans that can really go flawlessly and especially in the first one you can see its success relied heavily on that single operator taking down like 4 tangos in the northern part of the interior when they all panicked and ran towards him. If this was a Seal Team episode it would probably be David Borenaz' character fighting dudes off with a kabar knife in glorious CQC.

https://streamable.com/ea1v6k

https://streamable.com/usc59h

Also, suicide bombers really put the brakes on any good plan, because they behave completely differently and they give no leeway for error. If they cross a corner while your troops are throwing flashbangs into a room to clear it, you're more than royally fucked, as opposed to normal armed terrorists who probably won't OHKO your entire squad before they get a chance to return fire.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Door Kickers 2
These are great. What turned me off Door Kickers 2 was the RTwP, so it's interesting that there's an officially supported way of playing it differently. Would you say it's fine to play like this exclusively, or is it more like a gimmicky challenge you can try once you've played the game the "proper" way?

schru

Arcane
In my opinion, the level where you have to wait for the pillar and land on one of the fliers is worse.
I think it's that level in the screenshot, unless I'm misunderstanding which part you're referring to.

When I got to that part I stood around for ages waiting for a flier, like a bus that never came. In the end I just used noclip to get to the portal.
You should jump down several circular platforms first before reaching one of those lower hanging rocks. It's easy to get onto one of the manta rays from there.

SoupNazi

Door Kickers 2
These are great. What turned me off Door Kickers 2 was the RTwP, so it's interesting that there's an officially supported way of playing it differently. Would you say it's fine to play like this exclusively, or is it more like a gimmicky challenge you can try once you've played the game the "proper" way?
The only thing that really gets in your way of playing this way are hostage rescues / HVT kidnap missions. For a few reasons:

- The locations are often randomized, and even more often obscured, so you have to plan for all possibilities (which is doable, but annoying). Sometimes they are even visible but change every few tries so perhaps you have to redo or add a part to the plan, and you waste time in what is now an empty space. Or you've previously planned to grenade a place, but now the hostage spawns there, so you have to cancel that order... This is however doable, just slightly annoying when you're playing this way.
- The bigger issue is that you can't plan the arrest / rescue (because if you can't see them, you can't queue the arrest / rescue order). These missions never have the "Single Plan" achievement in-game (not what I'm playing for, anyway) but basically once you execute your plan, you then have to pause once more (or do it in real time, it's also doable) and just plan the last part - the extraction - real quick.

Other than that, it's completely doable in my experience. To be honest I played it "normally" a long time ago already and also got tired of it, but playing this way has rekindled my interest in the game. The big missions are tough and it's clear that at least for those, you are not normally "meant" to be playing it that way, and as you can see on the videos you do need a bit of luck / re-runs, but so far I've managed to beat several missions, including ones from the workshop, this way.

That's one of the other great things btw - it has dozens of missions already in alpha, but also the steam workshop is full of decent-to-great custom maps and missions. There's a pretty complex editor it seems (I haven't checked it properly myself) that even lets you put in triggers such as that when you reach the HVT, all the enemy troops will converge on your most likely escape route, etc.

It's really a pretty cool game and a lot of fun and a good challenge to play it this way. Plus, it is very rewarding to see the plan work out in the end from start to finish.

schru

Arcane

Psquit

Arcane
vHI8rrO.png

Some light early game spoilers

x7UC35A.png

DbEmk1c.png

Dragons suck ass.

H5eUUmz.png

Really cool introduction, some people hate it but I think it fits the theme.

EJMTClx.png

*reads in Mike Stoklasa's voice

chuN3Qw.png

Demon thot patrol!

0EY46qh.png

Really cool evil options if you wanna larp as black swordsman's arc guts from berserk.

Yeah, there's a lesbian couple at the beginning but what can you do? you take the good with the bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom