Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Hooray!!!!
Link in pic. Runs in gzdoom (included).
I discovered that gem some months ago. I've understood that there was a public alpha that dev removed. But there was a video (removed again now) showing some stuff... Men, that was cool!
And today dev upped the beta. I've instagrabbed it and played 10 minutes... And i confirm: it's cool!!!
I love the stile. Look, music and sounds. Dismemberment could be improved, but hey, it's a beta and an one man project.
It's also very hard, enemies kills you very fast, i even found some enemies that seems invincible (maybe they were ghost and magic was needed? Or just long to kill?). And i was just playng at 2nd difficulty.

Seriously, i love default attack:
ibgZADnwsWZNXU.gif

iZJjKr89Fn5KA.jpg

There are 3 classes, the huntress that has the bow, mage that has a fireball and a cleric that starts with only sword and fist.

In first level enemies are avoidable. They are cruel.

Those are basic enemies, but some care is required since they have no problems to hurt you.

Howewer there's some healthy bolod.

I think that this is extremely cool looking.

Another enemy.

If i undesrtood well that was due to enemy friendly fire. Fireball too does burn...

Here the fireball. Tha enemy is quite nasty, the first time i encountered it he hurt me a lot. Maybe i was not in full health, but instakilled!

Yet another enemy. I'd say there's quite some variery since all these enemies are just on the start of second level...

:love:
What the fuck.
This is Witchaven (ripoff?).
I know Witchaven wasn't best game but srsly
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/witchaven/screenshots

Astral Rag

Arcane
Witchaven was not a bad "Heretic/ Hexen clone", it looked (Build engine) and sounded amazing. Gameplay was fairly mediocre but certainly not awful.

The intro blew me away at the time:

:love:

Last edited:

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Espgaluda.
T0tgf5Q.png
Ml14r9C.png
You know a game is Japanese when it includes a gender-swapping mechanic.
L1h4njT.png
lwmcUIe.png
When I close my eyes, I see bullets.
9uS0EXf.png
uHWcP9G.png
ZkZTbyx.png
DKbO7qh.png
OkFvnSh.png
O4LaEYF.png
GzpIw2k.png
eYJ1eeF.png
Stage 5 is my limit.
huO17mU.png
KxiFPhB.png

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
Stalker is decent for pure Rangers, but consider using Shadowkeeper to make your character a human so you can dual-class to something a bit more fun. Ranger->Cleric dual-classes are a little cheesy, but extremely fun. A little bug allows them access to the Druid/Ranger divine spells for all of the spell levels, not just levels 1-4 that Rangers could typically access. This makes for a character that can cast practically every divine spell (I don't believe they can pick Greater Elemental Summoning in ToB) and fight well.

Some of those Druid/Ranger spells are really exceptional too, giving the Ranger->Cleric dual class an advantage over other Warrior->Cleric duals. Insect Plague, Creeping Doom, Nature's Beauty, Call Woodland Beings, and Iron Skins are incredibly helpful.

This might be a little power-gamey, but it's not nearly as broken as other dual class builds, while still being reasonably fun and varied.
Considering that BG1 was a cakewalk even with a very non-power-gamey character I think I'll do without that. Besides the editing would feel like cheating, I picked the elf for the bow bonus and even if that leads to an non-optimal build I think I'll stick by that choise. Nice advice tho, thanks. Ranger/Cleric does sounds like a good solo option so I might try it out later depending on how tired I am of the game just for fun.

As for proficiency points, the only categories I would shy away from, in any case, would be Bastard Sword or Katanas. Magical Katanas are quite rare and a lot of the mileage that one can get out of this proficiency relies on metagame knowledge. Bastard Swords are simply poor compared to every other category of weapon and all of the magical ones are placed extremely poorly; there's really nothing beyond generic +1 Bastard Swords until very late into the game. Half of the unique Bastard Swords in the game are basically right on top of one another.

If you're looking ahead to ToB, you may also want to avoid Clubs. Support for them completely drops off after SoA.
Good, good, this is very useful advice.
What resolution is that? Are you using a widescreen mod?

640 x 480, the way it was meant to be played.
:yeah:

Bows are weaker in the sequel because everybody moves faster and their damage doesn't scale well compared to melee and magic, it's still very viable though, especially if you pick archer kit (they get a pretty hefty bonus to their ranged damage, +1 every 3 levels IIRC). However if you want versatility (archer kit sucks at close range, you can only put one * in melee weapons) pick stalker as they have literally no drawbacks compared to vanilla ranger (you can't wear armor greater than studded leather, big fucking deal, there are many powerful leather armors in he game) while getting a few useful abilities (x3 backstab and a few mage spells).

Regarding weapon proficiencies, can't go wrong with katanas, hammers, flails, quarterstaves and short bows (if you pick stalker, be mindful that you can't backstab with weapons a thief can't use) but on the whole most weapon groups are represented well in BG2.
Neato, even if the proficiency advice sort of clash with the earlier poster. I've decided to go with Stalker since the arrow management got rather tiresome in the end and I'd rather not suffer through that again. Longswords because of my elf bonus which I just now found out the manual lied about, quarterstaves because I heard that they're the shit and bows for when I don't want to get squished due to poor AC.

dfmP4Zs.jpg

It begins.

LrNc4y7.jpg

Sure I do.

YcUwRvf.jpg

ZONLZbr.jpg

Now I just need to find out where they put my things, I didn't get that helmet of Balduran for nothing. The shift to a higher resolution is slightly nauseating and will take time to get used to and I hope that won't be a problem for long. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed David Warner's voice acting, it's really quite good. As far as starts go this is already much better than BG1 though if Akathala is as packed with quests as I remember it to be I will soon miss the long empty treks of the first game. At least this time around there's a proper journal.

IWD playthrough.

dGtctK7.png

NeU8Way.jpg

nkakmoh.png

tRnBXzk.png

Damn Icewind Dale was a beautiful and engaging game. My favorite of the Infinity engine games. I could have played icewind type modules to the IE engine for the rest of my life and been completely content (although ToEE modules would have been even better). They did such a great job with the art, music and style of icewind dale, its in the top 5 games of all time for me.

Hope the new PoE engine can replicate this, so far it looks promising. If it is 75% of what icewind dale was I will be in heaven.

IWD playthrough.

I gotta play that fucking game.
Yup, I will be replaying this badboy after I've finished BG and fooled around with Hard Truck Apocalypse for a bit, the atmosphere in this game is unbeatable and it's easily the second prettiest IE game by far only outdone by Torment. It's funny how I ended up liking what pretty much is the b-team's sales filler/slamdunk games so much more than the hyped up BG trilogy in every regard.

Anyway, next time I play BG I should remember to take some screens so that I have something to actually post in this thread. I've just beaten Durlag's Tower/TotSC.

iewind dale was way, way better than BG IMO, I never even could get through BG2, got sick of the fucking mage duels, the mage dueling was so annoying after awhile, with counter spells and then counter spells that would counter the other counter spells and so on and so on. I think they thought all the counter spell shit was clever, but it was just super irritating to need to cast 18 spells before going into each battle.

empoweredwomen.com

2NTXTx1.png

FbSRaOX.png

cFThWwm.png

qcQmZu1.png

EWTKyLp.png

Gkq8lqR.png

E5vSyRy.png

After giving this game a go, I'd put Zero Mission on par with Super Metroid. Shame I never tried it sooner. 2-D metroid games never disappoint, though. The Prime games could never give you the same freedom of movement and agility that the 2-D games do. It's just too much fun. There's nothing else like it.

Olo8YlC.png

Nx6azQD.png

TTtOyau.png

eMxEoU3.png

hp8pbxT.png

GI5oUrS.png

sxIbEOA.png

VZhM6tS.png

i8ez4rG.png

wu860Xh.png

ubzIvEA.png

b7IZeyr.png

rynWoPQ.png

l4kI7mI.png

i got your power bombs right here

uSMb37I.png

What I love about this series is how much it opens up once after a couple of playthroughs. You can run through the game no problem by following the in-game beacons and getting all the power-ups in order, or you can completely break sequence by utilizing all of Samus' fancy movement tricks. Even items that seem necessary like the Speed Booster are optional with some know-how.

HYGLFhh.png

uywe3Aj.png

CbZJejo.png

mjkpX9H.png

It's clearly by design, too, since you unlock special ending slides for doing a minimalist run-through. Which is hard, especially fighting bosses that now take 1/3 of your life in a swing.

aSTuuGJ.png

You also get a special ending for clearing the game quickly and collecting everything. This requires you to more or less speedrun the game, trying to avoid backtracking whenever possible.

Nw5E86v.png

Very fun game that rewards different playstyles and is as difficult as you want it to be.

Cassidy

Arcane
So, a mod for Mount and Blade: warband I assumed to have gone vaporware just got updated this year, and while still beta and somewhat unbalanced(Orks need a serious boost, for one), they are finally, if slowly, editing towns(so far only Nuln looks the real deal AFAIK), etc so it will look like a proper WHFB environment instead of being just Warhammer stuff in Calradia.

5KzqBrI.jpg

Reiters are cool, specially with carbines.

hLCNsnS.jpg

Sigmar was on their side that day.

Next time I will try rat Skaven Diplomacy as well. Unfortunately they still have to add Kislev and glorious bear riding winged hussars for this M&B: Warband mod, but Furok(who also was making a Warhammer mod) recently gave up, but decided to share all he did to Warsword: Conquest.

kazgar

Arcane
10/10 GOTY.

What is this, precious?

Reported for not knowing Divinity original sin.

I thought it looked for familiar... how is it?

I humbly accept my lashings. In my defense, I long lived with the belief that Divine Divinity was the only Divinity.

RPG GOTY 2014 so far or some such, although its only been out for about 12 hours and I haven't had time to play my copy yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom