Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

We spilled our blood and sweat for honor.
We killed for money, women and nice things.
We did a lot of things we regret, but our future is more important than our past.
Fable%202014-01-05%2001-07-31-71.png

Fable%202014-01-05%2001-09-34-51.png

Meanwhile in Germany...
Fable%202014-01-05%2001-23-37-27.png

Fable%202014-01-05%2001-28-40-02.png

Fable%202014-01-05%2001-28-42-37.png

Fable%202014-01-05%2001-28-52-78.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Got a bit dissapointed with Avernum: Escape from the Pit, so I've replaying Geneforge 1... been almost 10 years since I last played it, and I only remenbered that I liked it, so I wanted to see if it was just nostalgia...

9IHvWC0.jpg

It wasn't. Even with the green puke around the screen, I feel that the game is vastly superior to Avernum. Cool setting, nice writting, great dungeons to explore and skills that are fun to play with.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Exploration and good level design in modern AAA, seriously? I ignored Remember Me as another shitty popamoler but now I'm interested.

It's probably better to say "aesthetics of a cyberpunk world are fully realized", the levels are all highly linear, but like a lot of AAA games, the aspect of exploring city districts over a number of levels is sort of exploration, in a very tenuous way.

Don't go in expecting monocled shit, but as far as corridor games go, it has a good, creative setting and non-retarded dialogue.
I gave it a try, played it for about an hour of so. Gameplay seems popamole as fuk, but it has a very cool athmosphere, I don't fell like playing AAA stuff now but think I'll revisit this game one day.
Meanwhile...
uwgm.png

pqaa.png

What a pretty sight

j6tc.png

some kind of Meta-Streumonic creature.
k9u3.png

Replaying it, I wish they made a sequel. I'm loving the "oldschool" gameplay and bizzarre athmosphere.

I just finished the campaign not too long ago :)

Fun game if a bit short unless I missed something.

Also, I wish the hacking mini-game was a bit reworked as it was a right pain in the neck to try and hack something even after becoming a Hack Master.

That creature is a Manduco, by the way :)

spekkio

Arcane
Tomb Raider - Anniversary

So far I'm liking it much more than Legend (TR7). Looks much more :obviously: too.

FgupRJW.jpg

mENbzTf.jpg

YckbG9r.jpg

^ :obviously: tips system.

O6PVE26.jpg

^ a doggie conveniently stuck in doors

pnjrZC8.jpg

^ This thing codexian reject was talking about.

OSxT8og.jpg

^ A teddy conveniently stuck on a ledge. Back in 1996 these guys were more intelligent...

MX9cFas.jpg

:dance:

VxG2mnC.jpg

va6M4dR.jpg

2JcLlI8.jpg

aOmr38x.jpg

Deleted member 7219

So far I'm liking it much more than Legend (TR7). Looks much more :obviously: too.

FgupRJW.jpg

mENbzTf.jpg

YckbG9r.jpg

^ :obviously: tips system.

O6PVE26.jpg

^ a doggie conveniently stuck in doors

pnjrZC8.jpg

^ This thing codexian reject was talking about.

OSxT8og.jpg

^ A teddy conveniently stuck on a ledge. Back in 1996 these guys were more intelligent...

MX9cFas.jpg

:dance:

VxG2mnC.jpg

va6M4dR.jpg

2JcLlI8.jpg

aOmr38x.jpg

Anniversary is great. Hope you enjoy Underworld when you come to play that - that's my favourite of the three.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
So I got a broke pimp asking me to provide him with Erotic Cakes...

M2D9N8f.png

My slum is also home to a Mafia don...

6g8EIOb.jpg

And the local deadbeat flowers are trying to make yet ANOTHER kid (notice the heart above the closed door, that's when they're knocking roots...) even though they are in debt to me for over 400 gold. Also, I have no way of knowing how to get them to reduce their damn debt which usually leads to them sneaking out in the middle of the night never to return.

AWIkJmK.png

The name of the game is Unholy Heights.

Felix

Arcane
I really like my current character's looks. Nice, believable looking yet not overly sexy like those you see on the Nexus. She looks badass in (non-sexified) heavy armor. I feel she fits quite well in live action Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings.

z5cgKp8.jpg
"Believable looking"
nXp3Vbf.gif

She looks like some hostess girls/whores around here with their shitton of makeup

Psquit

Arcane
Heroes of Might and Magic 5

Fucking 3 hours match of epic comebacks and shit.

DJt65m8.jpg

Alpha MLP Zombie Lord... His autism makes him stronk

wavZflY.jpg

I control half of the map the Heaven Faggot the other part. The battle at bridge was the decisive battle that would allow me to get 2 more castles also it was the hardest one.

g8wtviZ.jpg

Shit was grimm as fuck. The Archangel raped my Wraith and the Bone dragon... heavy losses everywhere. My zombie army was the only thing that succeed in killing the archangel, the Inquisitor managed to rape my lich and killing 60 zombies... but in the end i won.

OorLij3.jpg

Fuck yeah! :kingcomrade: :hero: :kfc::kwanzania:
1322593067521.gif

8 FFA. Blue spamming of angels was almost my doom but the zombie lord passive save my ass more than once.

spekkio

Arcane

What a nice, atmospheric game!

yPT4dV3.jpg

8dTgGMY.jpg

osN2iLF.jpg

U4V1mhY.jpg

Running, jumping, no unnecessary bullshit.

:desu:

moHW3x9.jpg

Now wait a minute...

VChQ5kU.jpg

:what:

i2zwFvm.jpg

:rage: :rage: :rage:

At this point I was VERY close to ragequiting and uninstalling the game.
WHY in the fuck's name somebody decided to fuck up the game in such horrible way?!

In the original, this section looked like this:

1) You encounter some (3?) raptors, fighting them one at a time. Not a big deal.
2) Then the tyrannosaurus appears! OMG, what to do?! Just fight it like a regular enemy, takes a bit longer, but after half a minute, dude's done.
3) Go back to regular gameplay.

Now, the Anniversary:

1) You encounter a group of three raptors, and you have to fight them all at once. Makes sense dino-lore-wise (Jurassic Park says hello), but it's just a mess due to shitty combat model,
2) Another group of 3 raptors appears!
3) OMG, a non-skippable FMV with QTEs! Enjoy re-watching it over and over if you fail the QTE or die in next sections!
4) A boss-battle begins. Let's consult the faq to explain it's rules quickly:

- Try to keep your distance from the big dinosaur, since not only can it bite Lara but also step on her and swat her with its tail.
- Try to keep the T. rex in sight by shifting the camera as you circle around it—using the left or right direction key and back key if necessary to keep moving away as you circle. Or, back away while weaving from side to side. If the T. rex gets too close, roll or jump out of the way. Then continue circling or weaving and shooting. Keep blasting away until the T. rex's rage meter maxes out and flashes red . The rage meter is the lower of the two bars in the upper right corner of the screen.
- When the T. rex becomes enraged, it stops moving momentarily and lets out a loud bellow. Then it charges. The action shifts to slow motion and the screen blurs slightly. Now you must use the adrenaline dodge you learned in the previous level.
- First, make sure you have weapons drawn and keep a target lock on the enemy.
- You'll also need plenty of room to maneuver, at least in the direction you plan to roll. If Lara hits a wall, tree or other obstacle before completing the move, it won't work.
- To do the actual dodge maneuver, stop shooting and begin moving to the left or right. Continue to hold the Left or Right direction key (or move the control stick in either direction) then press Crouch, as though you were doing a regular evasive roll. If your dodge is successful, Lara will then leap to one side, keeping her guns trained on the enemy. As she does, you'll see two separate targeting reticles converge on the T. rex's head. In order to see this, you may need to move the camera to point directly at the enemy. When the reticles turn red and overlap, immediately shoot.
- If you've done everything correctly, your headshot will connect (right in the monster's eye!) and a brief cut scene will play, in which the T. rex, dazed but not yet defeated by your bullet, finishes his charge, hitting the wall behind Lara and hopefully losing some of its health (indicated by the upper bar at the top right).
- How much damage is done each time depends on which wall the T. rex hits. If you can lure it into the spiky wooden barriers, they do the most damage: about third of the rex's health each time. So if you can lure the dinosaur into each of the three sets of spikes, that will defeat it. The hard stone walls of the temple do somewhat less damage, and the softer, greenery-covered areas, little or no damage.
- Notice the brownish worn patches in the grass just in front of each of the spiked barriers. These are good landmarks to check your positioning. If you lure the T. rex across the open area so that Lara is standing on one of these worn spots when the dinosaur becomes enraged, when it charges, it should hit the spikes.
- After the T. rex smashes into something, it takes a moment to gather its wits. So run away and then turn back to face it. Lure it back across the arena toward one of the damaging surfaces. Then repeat the process: shoot to max out the rex's rage meter, wait for the charge, do the adrenaline dodge (Left or Right + Crouch), wait for the two targeting reticles converge and then shoot. Each time the T. rex charges and bangs its head, it will lose a bit more health until finally the last successful dodge-and-shoot maneuver triggers a second interactive cut scene (described below).
:what:

But! Let's not forget about:

IMPORTANT: If you do not complete the adrenaline dodge tutorial with the bear at the beginning of the City of Vilcabamba level it may result in a bug later on in the game, in which the maneuver does not work correctly during the T. rex and subsequent boss fights. See that walkthrough for more info.
:nocountryforshitposters:

tl;dr version:

You have to use a stupid gimmick (adrenaline dodge) to defeat the boss, which is hard to pull-off and sometimes doesn't even work due a glitch.

:bravo:

Since:
1) For fuckever reason "fire" button lacks "auto-repeat" function (you can't just keep "fire" pressed, you have to repeatably click it to fire your gun), so I was raping my poor mouse with repeatable clicks,
2) Controls in boss-fight are clearly made with a gamepad in mind (it's much easier to pull-off the "adrenaline doge" using one),
3) The entire fight is a monumental POS,

I've decided to one-shot the boss using a trainer.

:kfc:

5) Second QTE appears! All praise the brain-surgeons, the developers!

:rage:

The end.

rmWenpl.jpg

:negative:

For this reason alone, I will NEVER buy this game, on GoG or anywhere else, while I own Tomb Raider 1-3 and plan to replay them in the future.
Current games are made by retards and I don't want to participate in the process by giving them my money.

iaAgtAv.gif

Thanks for (not) reading.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rant about T.Rex fight in Tomb Raider

I agree 100%. One of the highlights of the T-Rex fight in the original Tomb Raider was the fact that it was just thrown at you without warning and/or fanfare. You run into some raptors, fight them and then suddenly OH FUCK OH FUCK WHAT-IS-THAT and instead of the game stopping to let the severity of the situation set in, it just keeps going, hoping that the player adapts quickly to the new threat and pumps lead into it until it drops. It's not scripted, it's not even a focal point, it's just there.

It's a strong advocate for the "protagonist is superhuman" trope thing, taking down a T-Rex without giving it a second thought.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Lara Croft is small change compared to Cate Archer anyway :smug:

i4l3b5.jpg

A bridge too far.

25zqxcj.jpg

If I had to cite NOLF2's best part, it's definitely the intelligence items and random overheard conversations. They never fail to be absolutely hilarious.

11j6ww5.jpg

A grenade a day keeps the commie away.

And I found the grenade in a shiny wrapped package, which immediately made me think of Capitalist pigs :codexisfor:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The fight with the Wapanese chick in trailer caught by tornado was cool.

Indeed. I just wish the enemy respawns in the soviet base weren't so fucking obnoxious. But fortunately, iirc, they are the worst among all levels, so just gotta suffer through that :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom