Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So i just bought this shit lul.

Doesn't seem the price will ever go lower than 50% off so fuck it.

Can't play it though 'cause i'm still stuck in ER see you guys in a few months lel.
Just quit Elden Ring and play the better and funnier game.

Silva

Arcane
So i just bought this shit lul.

Doesn't seem the price will ever go lower than 50% off so fuck it.

Can't play it though 'cause i'm still stuck in ER see you guys in a few months lel.
Just quit Elden Ring and play the better and funnier game.
After the honeymoon is over I think ER will go down as the worst Soulsborne. No kidding. It's From Software's Oblivion.

Andnjord

Arcane
Only played through the tutorial and some sparring with the undying bro at the temple and that is one satisfaying combat system if I ever saw one. I think I'm going to enjoy this. :bounce:

EDIT: Alright, got a couple of bosses down including that raging chained beast, but the Horse Rider's second phase is kicking my ass, including because of camera issues and terrain clutter :roll:
Looking good so far though, bu incidentaly, there was a soldier pretty clearly telling you to use gunpowder at the horse to scare it, how do you actually do that? There was also a clear indication to use fire on that raging chained beast, but I managed to beat it without.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looking good so far though, bu incidentaly, there was a soldier pretty clearly telling you to use gunpowder at the horse to scare it, how do you actually do that? There was also a clear indication to use fire on that raging chained beast, but I managed to beat it without.

It's a FromSoft game, nooks and crannies everywhere. Gotta explore, look carefully. Grapple to vantage points and scope every area from height. Talk to NPCs, exhaust their dialogues. Enjoy.

Andnjord

Arcane

It's a FromSoft game, nooks and crannies everywhere. Gotta explore, look carefully. Grapple to vantage points and scope every area from height. Talk to NPCs, exhaust their dialogues. Enjoy.
Ok, so it's some item/NPC that I've missed, not some mechanic I misunderstood. That's already very helpful, thanks.

Looking good so far though, bu incidentaly, there was a soldier pretty clearly telling you to use gunpowder at the horse to scare it, how do you actually do that?

"Gunpowder" hint was about firecrackers prothetic, which is available to buy before horse guy boss from a hidden merchant, nearby the woman that gives you item to access Hirata estate map. Grappling attack skill is also useful against that boss. Not that you really need these things to beat him, but I do tend to grab them before going to him.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
So yeah, backtracked a little bit, found the merchant for the firecracker prostetic, realised how to use the item to enter the Hirata memory and also unlocked the prostethic skills thus getting the attack on grapple.

Now the fight made waaaaay more sense and was a really fun one for sure.

Also took down the Drunk bandit boss in Hirata, that one took a lot of time (and a couple of deaths) just to set it up properly, as in kill all the mooks, get a sneak Deathblow on the boss and start the fight with the friendly samurai alive. Glad I remembered to use the oil+firebreather prosthetic, as I figured that since he's covered in alchohol he had to be vulnerable to it :D

I'm guessing that's going to be a running theme, right? Find the right tool for the boss or master the art of 100% perfect deflections?

The Horse Rider boss is not hard but is nevertheless a very good fight.
Indeed, so glad they put in the option to replay the major fights, I just had to try him again a few more times like that, but they do boost bosses damage there right? I'm pretty sure he didn't use to one-shot me :lol:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ugh, I think I'm going to have to give this one a second look.

Andnjord

Arcane
Goddamn, fighting those screaming dudes/nightjars atop the Ashina Castle rooftops was half total panic, half the most exhilarating bit of gameplay I've had in a video game in a long while. What a great game!

Killed the armoured dude first try (although I had him bounce on a pillar on the first deathblow, nice boss design tidbit), then came back to Hirata Estate to find the key to the cellar, opened the door and saw what was clearly a major boss room but accepted that I was too tired to attempt it.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
Ok, started it.

Ogre dominated my sorry ass 15 times, i even looked for some tips, "get fire upgrate at the temple", lost half a hour backtraking finding no fucking temple, FUCK IT, killed dumb ogre the normal way.

I'm master spidersamurai now.

Then i discovered the dumbass temple is a different "area", i supposed this game was some giant map/corridor stuff like metroid/castevania, wtf.

Andnjord

Arcane
saw what was clearly a major boss room but accepted that I was too tired to attempt it.
Got my ass handed to me by my first Seven Spears dude, so I went back to that boss room and lo and behold, it was indeed a major boss, Madama Butterfly. Got her down on the second try, despite a reeeeally scrappy first phase that left me with no healing gourds, a sliver of health and no hope left to start the second phase. But then I got one of those beautiful focused moments where everything makes sense and your timing is just impeccable and destroyed her right then and there.
Went back straight away to Seven Spears dude and proceeded to beat his ass down, no questions asked :positive:

Gawd this is a good game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gawd this is a good game.
I guess it says a lot that my only gripe with it is that I wanted more of it. For me, 2-3 more big areas to tackle in any order would bump it from a 9.5 to a perfect 10. But I can imagine that, for someone who doesn't replay it obsessively once or twice a year, the game might be just the perfect size the way it is.

Andnjord

Arcane
And down too went Genishiro, with a similar ending as had Madama Butterfly (although it xertainly took more than two tries, maybe a dozen). First phase was perfect, but started messing up the second phase hard, and that guy punishes mistakes harshly, either by regaining his posture really quickly when at full health or by shooting the crap out of you when you need to breathe. So I got to the third phase again without heals, a sliver of health and no ressurections available, but again managed to pull off a perfect fight and take him down, almost starring in disbielief as he did his 20 attack combo that's so easy to deflect while he only had 10% posture left at the end. Funny that in the previous attempt I had 4 gourds and a rez left but got messed up instead.

Never managed to pull off the lightning reversal though, shame.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Goddamn, I''ve died waaaaay more many times than I'd care to admit against O'rin of the Water before finally killing her. Something about her moveset, even if technically not that hard, just really got under my skin, either it was those lightning fast attacks, the fact that she forces you to be super passive and there's only two moves that you can really punish, really threw me off. Or probably just did her at the end of a long session, was too tired for it.
But the problem is, because I would start each phase with a couple of Mortal Blade hits, I've now run out of Spirit emblems :oops: The Mibu Village seems like the best place to farm for them though, right?

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've now run out of Spirit emblems :oops: The Mibu Village seems like the best place to farm for them though, right?
You can purchase them while resting at a sculptor's idol. Just dump all your money every once in a while and you should never run out of them.

Or probably just did her at the end of a long session, was too tired for it.
Oh no no, you weren't too tired, she IS a giant insufferable bitch. I found out that what works best, at least for me, is to just heavily rely on a specific prosthetic tool (in spoiler in case you still haven't found all of them):

The purple umbrella + Projected Force skill

Ivan

Arcane
Goddamn, I''ve died waaaaay more many times than I'd care to admit against O'rin of the Water before finally killing her. Something about her moveset, even if technically not that hard, just really got under my skin, either it was those lightning fast attacks, the fact that she forces you to be super passive and there's only two moves that you can really punish, really threw me off. Or probably just did her at the end of a long session, was too tired for it.
But the problem is, because I would start each phase with a couple of Mortal Blade hits, I've now run out of Spirit emblems :oops: The Mibu Village seems like the best place to farm for them though, right?

Yep, me too. To this day, O Rin is the thing that has me shaking in my boots with each new playthrough.

Andnjord

Arcane
You can purchase them while resting at a sculptor's idol. Just dump all your money every once in a while and you should never run out of them.
Yeah, that's the plan. Farm the villagers for their emblems and drop the money gained this way at the idol. Also, am I crazy or there is inflation in this game? I could have sworn they used to cost 10 gold per emblem but they now cost 20 per :lol:
Oh no no, you weren't too tired, she IS a giant insufferable bitch. I found out that what works best, at least for me, is to just heavily rely on a specific prosthetic tool (in spoiler in case you still haven't found all of them):
I have it. I think there's only one that I'm currently missing judging by the upgrade tree. I'm trying not to use as I still need to practice more with the deflects though.

Andnjord

Arcane
Ok, I've find the first boss that I genuinely dislike: Guardian Ape. Fucking grab attacks with giant hitboxes that slam you against a wall breaking the camera just so you can't see the follow-up attack (because of course he combos into another attack right after half of the time) then that sword move set that's a nightmare to read. Awesome. And yeah, I know you get the privilege of facing it again with another giant ape later on, I did watch a playthough back when the game came out and while I have forgotten mostly everything, that little detail stuck to me.

Oh, did I also mention that I've always hated grab attacks in From Soft's games? The feeling of powerlessness they give me is second to none to drive up my blood pressure.
:x

EDIT: Great, now that I've killed Corrupted Monk the cost of Emblems has gone up to 30 per. :negative:

Took you too long to finally rage about something, that's just no fun. Not even close to epic butthurt I was displaying on my first run.

Andnjord

Arcane
Took you too long to finally rage about something, that's just no fun. Not even close to epic butthurt I was displaying on my first run.
Oh don't worry, I have raged before (a few times against Genichiro, against the Snake Eyes mini-bosses and obviously against O'rin), but all those times I knew I was raging against myself more than at the encounter, so it didn't feel like it deserved to be shared with the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom