Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
dont call out the protagonist like that...

PnKuVE1.png
Demon banter in this game is great. Mothman had some banger lines.

d1r

Patron
I don't think I've ever seen you so excited, d1r. Granted I've only been here a little over a year. But do you get this hype for every SMT release (as you should)?
I would get excited about other games as well, if they checked off EVERY box, regarding what I want to see in a game, as well. Too bad that there had been none in the last 10 years or so. I think the last time I was that excited about a game release was when Dark Souls released on PC and Path of Exile got announced (hence, my name Diablo1_Reborn, as THE OLD, non-zoom zoom Path of Exile being the spiritual successor to Diablo 1).

Anyway, are you playing the game too, right now?

Spike

Educated
I don't think I've ever seen you so excited, d1r. Granted I've only been here a little over a year. But do you get this hype for every SMT release (as you should)?
I would get excited about other games as well, if they checked off EVERY box, regarding what I want to see in a game, as well. Too bad that there had been none in the last 10 years or so. I think the last time I was that excited about a game release was when Dark Souls released on PC and Path of Exile got announced (hence, my name Diablo1_Reborn, as THE OLD, non-zoom zoom Path of Exile being the spiritual successor to Diablo 1).

I see. Interesting. Dark Souls on PC is worthy to be excited for, as is old Path of Exile. I am currently excited for Tower of Kalemonvo for a Diablo 1 successor of sorts.

I would love to play it and it looks great, but I am holding off for a sale because I'm a smart shopper and have plenty to occupy me for now. Although...Seeing you all post here about it makes me consider just buying it now.

d1r

Patron

I see. Interesting. Dark Souls on PC is worthy to be excited for, as is old Path of Exile. I am currently excited for Tower of Kalemonvo for a Diablo 1 successor of sorts.

I would love to play it and it looks great, but I am holding off for a sale because I'm a smart shopper and have plenty to occupy me for now. Although...Seeing you all post here about it makes me consider just buying it now.
Well, it's a long game. So you should have some spare time to do it.

Terra

Cipher
Barely got to play much yesterday after an exhausting day at work, started on Hard and am going to go through the Creation path first and will do Vengeance for my 2nd run. Got killed by some random demons already though. Looks really nice and runs well on PC, back on it tonight.

Sentinel

Arcane
What build is everyone running? I'm just VITmaxxing, no idea if it's good or not, but I figured that since protag death = insta loss, might as well.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
So, for someone (like me) that wants go through this game once, and doesn't think to replay it twice, which is the best path to choose at the beginning? The original or the Vengeance?

MakenBro

Literate
So, for someone (like me) that wants go through this game once, and doesn't think to replay it twice, what is the best path to choose at the beginning? The original or the Vengeance?

Vengeance.

What build is everyone running? I'm just VITmaxxing, no idea if it's good or not, but I figured that protag death = insta loss, might as well.

STR + VIT and some Agility.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
All points to MAG since I've already done two STR runs. I'm being a bit conservative with my Glories since I've no idea what kind of new spells they might have added so for now I'm just speccing into Ice affinities along with the usual utility Miracles that you'd take with all kinds of characters.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Isn't it really easy to just grind Mitamas for a bit and get basically all available Miracles and Demons?
Don't get me wrong, game is beautiful.
On a related note, got nuked by Dormaht's Mudo. Guess I have to fuse dark res.

Edit: Is it a better experience to play without Mitamas?

d1r

Patron
All points to MAG since I've already done two STR runs. I'm being a bit conservative with my Glories since I've no idea what kind of new spells they might have added so for now I'm just speccing into Ice affinities along with the usual utility Miracles that you'd take with all kinds of characters.
Same here this time around. I've never done a MAG run in SMTV either. Will see which spells catches my interest the most, and then I'll stick with it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Isn't it really easy to just grind Mitamas for a bit and get basically all available Miracles and Demons?
Don't get me wrong, game is beautiful.
On a related note, got nuked by Dormaht's Mudo. Guess I have to fuse dark res.

Edit: Is it a better experience to play without Mitamas?
Unless you have the Mitama DLC grinding glories from Mitamas will take a while. They have fairly long-ish respawn timers, something in the hours, and iirc the timer doesn't tick unless you are moving so you can't just leave the game on either. By the time you'd be done you could've finished the game twice, probably.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The new, for lack of a better term, chapter boss for the second Da'at was probably the hardest fight so far, counting all of the original SMT5 boss fights as well (excluding Demifiend). Usually beating a boss is as simple as countering its one devious gimmick, but this fight has a lot of different moving parts that you need to deal with. Will be interesting to see what other people think of this one. It's definitely one of the more complex encounters I've encountered in an SMT game.

frajaq

Erudite
Just beat Hydra, after getting my ass kicked I used Fire Dampeners, and I noticed he stopped using his Fire Breath attack and just used the poison spit, which was actually worse lol but I still beat him with all party alive.

d1r

Patron
The new, for lack of a better term, chapter boss for the second Da'at was probably the hardest fight so far, counting all of the original SMT5 boss fights as well (excluding Demifiend). Usually beating a boss is as simple as countering its one devious gimmick, but this fight has a lot of different moving parts that you need to deal with. Will be interesting to see what other people think of this one. It's definitely one of the more complex encounters I've encountered in an SMT game.
Jack Frost was the MVP in that fight due to a certain affinity. Also, the music in that boss fight was fucking incredible.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm ~10 hours in/hitting the tail end of the first zone, and it's been a pretty solid well-polished experience; the UI and general QoL make it feel great to play. Hard mode seems nicely tuned so far, and certain enemies have started to leave me reeling if not dealt with correctly. Before Hydra I never even touched the dampeners. I hear it drops off though..
I'll have to slow down; this seems like the perfect winding-down game to play in small chunks.

d1r

Patron
Man, some new side quest enemies after the 2nd area are really nasty.

Nnygd1C.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom