Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
krigerigskecivilization_1242104b.jpg

yeltsin-03012007010032.jpg

Yeltsin_drunk2.jpg

yeltsaxams.jpg

Glorious Slav Federation invincible through resurrected God Emperor Yeltsin created by genetically modified Vodka grain.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
There should be a max stack limit that you can increase with technology as well as units that you can add to the stack which increase stack size of adjacent stacks(but this bonus can not stack ;))

The alpha centauri screenshot comparison really shows how this stuff has declined. It might just be flavortext, but it shows how little thought the BE devs put into their factions.

bonescraper

I was going to buy this game until i learned about the Slavic Federation. Fuck Firaxis.

oscar

Arcane
Of all the things to not buy this game about you pick one of the less retarded factions?

Machocruz

Arcane
I've said it before: there are scant few working in the industry today that have the intellectual capacity to make something equal to something like SMAC. It's obvious the people who made it read books and were passionate about actual technology, geography, geopolitics, etc, and that informed the game. Now we have people -and I'm talking about the industry in general- who are primarily informed by other video games, which is very limiting.

Destroid

Arcane
At least pan-slavism is a thing. But yeah these crude nation groupings are much less believable and much less interesting than the ideologically driven factions from SMAC.

mastroego

Arcane
I've said it before: there are scant few working in the industry today that have the intellectual capacity to make something equal to something like SMAC. It's obvious the people who made it read books and were passionate about actual technology, geography, geopolitics, etc, and that informed the game. Now we have people -and I'm talking about the industry in general- who are primarily informed by other video games, which is very limiting.
This, a million times.
Yes, once in a while stars align and all the pieces will move perfectly into position.
And yes the lightning will strike again someday but it probably will be somewhere else: another genre, different people, different context.

We must stop chasing the "next Alpha Centauri", the "next Master of Magic", or the "next BG2", and enjoy the little gems we do get when we get them.

Zeriel

Arcane
What the fuck, Firaxis. I wonder if Firaxis was ever good aside from SMAC and CivIV.

Solomon actually talked about this is an interview. He was hired originally right out of college with no experience because Reynolds and a lot of other veterans had just left the company, basically leaving it with no staff. While Solomon is a great guy, he seems to be mostly alone in his opinions at Firaxis. Like most modern game development companies that share a name with something that created the classics, the employees actually working on games are all new people who had nothing to do with the old titles.

Trivia: As I recall in the interview, Solomon worked on Civ 3, and then it was a new generation of guys after that. Since Civ 3 is the last Civ game I enjoyed unironically, that sounds about right.

What the fuck, Firaxis. I wonder if Firaxis was ever good aside from SMAC and CivIV.

Solomon actually talked about this is an interview. He was hired originally right out of college with no experience because Reynolds and a lot of other veterans had just left the company, basically leaving it with no staff. While Solomon is a great guy, he seems to be mostly alone in his opinions at Firaxis. Like most modern game development companies that share a name with something that created the classics, the employees actually working on games are all new people who had nothing to do with the old titles.

Trivia: As I recall in the interview, Solomon worked on Civ 3, and then it was a new generation of guys after that. Since Civ 3 is the last Civ game I enjoyed unironically, that sounds about right.

If Reynolds and the others left the company (when? After making SMAC?) suddently, then that explains why Firaxis went to hell later.

Civ3 was shit, through. Like they didn't learn anything from SMAC. Civ4 needed expansions to become good, used a shit engine (Gamebryo), was unnecessarily 3D and its main point was the modding power. Civ3 was similar, except 2D, no shit engine and less modding power.

Zeriel

Arcane
Since Civ 3 is the last Civ game I enjoyed unironically, that sounds about right.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Civ 3.

IIRC, the manual for Civ 4 was a long winded apology for Civ 3.

I didn't like it a lot, but it had more in common with Civ 2 in my opinion than the later titles did. It felt like a Civ game to me--the ones after felt like some weird third-party modder trying to do his "take" on the series. I'm a fan of 2D and an aesthetics whore, though, so that accounts for a lot of it.

Renegen

Arcane
I think Civ 3 had the biggest maps of any of the games, it was fun playing on huge earth and mars maps. But Civ 4 had the amazing mod scene and I feel like Civ 5 is a really tight strategy game and has insane replayability.

oscar

Arcane
Civ 5's AI seems a lot wimpier. I also think it goes too far in punishing large states.

Other than that I quite like it as well.

Renegen

Arcane
It punishes warmongers too hard, you're basically forced to exploit the system and only declare joint wars. I think the AI is aggressive on higher difficulties, the AI seems a big threat on the Diety youtube videos I watch. And large states are ok on larger maps, it's one of the weird things about the game, civs are much better or worse depending on the map size and type.

Zeriel

Arcane
It punishes warmongers too hard, you're basically forced to exploit the system and only declare joint wars. I think the AI is aggressive on higher difficulties, the AI seems a big threat on the Diety youtube videos I watch. And large states are ok on larger maps, it's one of the weird things about the game, civs are much better or worse depending on the map size and type.

Any difficulty in Civ V tumbles down the moment you just use chokes to win the game. The AI can have an army 10 times as big as yours and fail to take a single city. One unit per tile is truly wondruous. :3

KoolNoodles

Arcane
What's your point? Can do the same to a human, and later the AI will actually use a navy(unlike Civ4), and paratroopers(though that's more rare).

Doomstacks were stupid and easily exploitable, anyone who thinks otherwise just liked winning easily I guess. Maybe 1UPT is too far in the other direction, but combat, such as it was, was not very good in earlier Civ games. Civ5 "warfare" against human opponents blows similar Civ4 out of the water. It's just too bad the modability is atrocious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom