Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

sovijus

Educated
It's so refreshing and invigorating to read someone as passionate about strategy games as yourself, nailing every failed aspect of Civ5 with such precision. The real tragedy here is that it pays to be average, because there is so much more paying average people with their average tastes.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I like sulla's analysis, but when he says something like "The World Congress is inconsequential" (World's Fair is quite OP though), then I have to wonder how many times he's played into the late game, or played with it at all. Try getting embargoed by bitchy Civs who you fucked over years before and they went and built the Forbidden Palace and allied with City States(hello Greeks) to get all the votes. Yeah, you will be completely fucked in a lot of ways and have to bribe, conquer, and steal your way out of a mess. It happened in a game where I went a little too war happy, and my gold and happiness plummeted(and consequently my research and fighting ability), followed up shortly by two massive naval and ground invasions by two of the civs who embargoed me. Something that crazy and exhilarating has only happened once, but it was pretty glorious.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds like you made subpar decisions leading up to that moment Sulla wouldn't have made. Since you only need 4 cities, why go to war?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
In Civ 5 does the AI even attack you on Normal?
Yeah, but very rarely. Usually only when they're in a position to basically stomp you into the ground immediately, and even then they'll usually sue for peace the moment you give them any significant pushback.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Sid Meier has really fallen off the horse. Granted, Civ V isn't that bad if you include the expansions, but compared to any recent game from Paradox like Europa Universalis IV or Crusader Kings II and Civ V fails. Beyond Earth seems to be even worse than Civ V was on release.

Norfleet

"Fallen off" the horse implies that that he was involuntarily dismounted. Molyneux fell off the horse. Sid Meier got off the horse of his own volition long ago and hired a jockey to ride the horse for him. When was the last time Sid actually created anything new? At least Molyneux tries. He fails miserably, but he tries. Meier just signs his name on the CIv++ box.

Destroid

Arcane
Sid Meier has really fallen off the horse. Granted, Civ V isn't that bad if you include the expansions, but compared to any recent game from Paradox like Europa Universalis IV or Crusader Kings II and Civ V fails. Beyond Earth seems to be even worse than Civ V was on release.

Civ 5 was designed by Jon Shafer who designed the Beyond the Sword expansion for Civ 4. Beyond Earth was designed by a couple of guys who's only prior design credit is on Kingdoms of Amalur. Shafer now has his own indie studio and is working on At the Gates, which is looking pretty promising.

omega21

Arcane
I'd rather Molyneux not try if he's gonna embarrass himself with his cube and godus bullshit.

Was Sid Meier ever a good games designer? I really don't know much about the man.

baturinsky

Arcane
Cb3o6pt.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/2qb004/the_most_interesting_game_of_civ_ive_ever_played/

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
CK2 now would have to be a great game for the comparison to be pertinent. Right now it's a mediocre game in it's own right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom