Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Playing the free version, oh man those "quotes". Its literally a CiV mod. Cant they just remake Alpha Centauri?
EA still holds the rights, so I think it'd just be better to leave it be.

Norfleet

Speaking of engine, those assholes hid the bloom options in an .ini file and used blurry UI textures.

The entire product is a waste of time.
Yes, and there's a STOP MAKING EVERYTHING BLURRY option that is hidden in the ini files also. Apparently blurry is the new next-gen. I don't see why I need the computer to make my graphics blurry, I have vodka for that.

J1M

Arcane
Forgive me if this was addressed in the previous 40 pages. "The great mistake" was supposed to be explained as the story develops in the game according to the pre-release marketing when people pointed out how stupid it was that there was a global event that everyone refused to remember.

I saw no such "exposition", "hints", or "sidsplaining". Just a bunch of shitty generic quests. Don't even get me started on how stupid the "quest decisions" and "tech web" are.

TLDR: Did anyone find the cannon explanation of the defining event that caused humanity to leave earth in the civpedia?

Norfleet

The Great Mistake was leaving the Spaceship Victory condition turned off, thus causing everyone to launch a bunch of spaceships without ending the game on Earth. As it turns out, humanity didn't leave Earth, and they're still there, waiting for you to send back a thousand points of units to take over the place, or for you to send the gate so they can join you. Alternatively, you can just ignore them.

And I liked the quest decisions, they let you customize the way your buildings worked.

Multi-headed Cow

Forgive me if this was addressed in the previous 40 pages. "The great mistake" was supposed to be explained as the story develops in the game according to the pre-release marketing when people pointed out how stupid it was that there was a global event that everyone refused to remember.

I saw no such "exposition", "hints", or "sidsplaining". Just a bunch of shitty generic quests. Don't even get me started on how stupid the "quest decisions" and "tech web" are.

TLDR: Did anyone find the cannon explanation of the defining event that caused humanity to leave earth in the civpedia?
The only "Hint" is if you do a domination victory, where it outright says the great mistake was a war. There's also a big awful video where the idiots who designed the game explain the great mistake. BUT IT'S NOT CANON YOUSE GUYS, USE YOUR IMAGINATION~~~~

J1M

Arcane

The only "Hint" is if you do a domination victory, where it outright says the great mistake was a war. There's also a big awful video where the idiots who designed the game explain the great mistake. BUT IT'S NOT CANON YOUSE GUYS, USE YOUR IMAGINATION~~~~

What a bunch of long-winded faggots.

"Some day we will hit the inflection point and won't have enough oil to make an INTERDIMENSIONAL FTL ENGINE." :lol:

"Nobody knows what the great mistake was because it was forgotten." :retarded:

"Also, we didn't make a proper timeline because we are lazy." If none of this shit matters to the game you are making, why are you spending so much time on it instead of making interesting factions? :argh:

That explains the utter blandness I guess. "Co-lead designers". An example of how design by committee leads to junk that is mediocre in every respect, perhaps.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So... you get out of a mess like that and get a job as leader designer of a high profile Firaxis game? Well... if the bought on the bargain bin developers are doing this cash in, Firaxis must be doing Civ 6 or preparing to rape X-Com again.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So... you get out of a mess like that and get a job as leader designer of a high profile Firaxis game? Well... if the bought on the bargain bin developers are doing this cash in, Firaxis must be doing Civ 6 or preparing to rape X-Com again.

Well, it took two years but the modders did eventually fix XCOM :troll:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So as with Civ5, after a couple expansions the game should be good(yes, good), and they did say they were making and releasing modding tools......

:negative:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This time it's different tho. BE's problem is not fucked up mechanics, bugs or missing features. It's the atmosphere, flavour, personality, writing - the soft stuff. And I don't see no modders fixing that.

And yes, XCOM has been fixed rather well.

Indeed, modders aren't going to be re-recording all of the lines and rewriting lore. Maybe the best thing you could do would be some kind of total conversion to the Alpha Centauri lore by importing all of that stuff, but it's highly doubtful that would happen.

As for X-Com, Long War is amazing in comparison to vanilla even as its still saddled by all of the same game issues. You have more fucking options for rookie loadout on your first mission in long war than you do for seasoned veterans with max tech in vanilla.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Did modders fix XCOM?
Sorta. Long war is good enough that it makes me sorta think neuxcom is a decent game for people who prefer boardgameyness over intelligent simulation. It's not even in the same tier as the original, but it's not bad.

lightbane

Arcane
Dunno if this has been mentioned already, but it's worth repeating:

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/10/civilization-beyond-earth-cross-promotion/

Civilization: Beyond Earth – Check out BE’s shameless plug in Civ 5
SbWb68U.jpg-1925%C3%971080--1.jpg

Sid Meier’s Civilization V, the popular, generally well-received, and expansion pack-laden older brother of the recently released PC game, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth, received a patch/update via Steam yesterday. [...]
As clearly seen in the image above, upon claiming victory through science mastery, Civ 5 players can either exit to the main menu, play another turn, or…go beyond earth – Civilization: Beyond Earth, that is.

If the player decides to “Go Beyond Earth,” it merely leads them to Civilization: Beyond Earth‘s store page on Steam. Clever, Firaxis, clever.

Pony King

Educated
intelligent simulation.
The fuck would unintelligent simulation be? F.A.T.A.L?

side-question: Did the long war mod add extra levels to nu-xcom? When I played it the primary problem was that it didn't have enough for even one campaign, much less a longer one.

Also, why are we expecting expansions? civ4: col. didn't get any.

side-question: Did the long war mod add extra levels to nu-xcom? When I played it the primary problem was that it didn't have enough for even one campaign, much less a longer one.
EW added new maps. LW unlocks a bunch of the maps that are normally hardcoded to only appear during scripted missions, while also randomizing the start points. You do still repeat maps but since it's from entirely different angles it's a lot more bearable. AFAIK there is no known way to mod in new levels.

Also, why are we expecting expansions? civ4: col. didn't get any.
Because why wouldn't they try to milk it some more?

Norfleet

That is what I feel is happening with Beyond Earth. It's not just the standard glitches and problems that every launch title ends up having, it's that people are comparing it to Civ V with the DLC, and not Civ V as it was when it initially came out. And it's an unfair comparison.
Yeah, but it's not just that. I never played Civ 5, so I can't compare it to that. I compare it to its natural counterpart: SMAC. In this respect, it also falls flat.

Multi-headed Cow

Looks like modders are trying to fix it. Haven't played with mods slathered on yet but some of 'em seem like an improvement.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=334840683 Most important part of this one, "- A 'repeat previous route' button has been added to trade conveys (hotkey 'R')"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=335480795 Makes health more important so you can't say fuck it and go -300 health and cover the world in cities because the bonus for being unhealthy is peanuts.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333086566 Tries to make aliums less passive and more aggressive.

And then there are an assload of anime civs and quality of life mods like showing hidden information and recoloring the icons on the tech tree so you can easily tell what gives what at a glance, etc. Kinda doubt it'll be worth going back to the game for but even so I might have to try it with mods.

circ

Arcane
I kept wondering why I couldn't beat Civ Colonization way back when. Turns out you needed to hold off on building good units until you were ready to start la revolucion. Firaxis thought this would add challenge but forgot that the AI just went nuts. Or just said fuck it and released it anyway - it's only an add-on lolol!

Anyway. Is this a worthy successor to Alpha Centauri? Considering they changed the name I'm guessing no? Didn't want to tarnish what little rep they still have.

Oh and is it a buggy mess like Civ V that didn't even let you start a new game if the RNG got an overflow?

Oh and some more editing. As I'm recalling SMAC. Is the voice work even remotely comparable to SMAC? Because I can still hear those quotes in authentic accents in my head.

EDIT: I did look at recent pages just now and oh. It's a turd within a turd.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom