Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Multi-headed Cow

You apparently didn't look at any of the recent pages. No. It's really pretty bad. It's with Civ 3 in the corner of shame. Doesn't really make sense since the finally got Civ 5 in a pretty good place, but here we are.

And yeah I heard about that Civ 4 Colonization fuck up. Never played Civ 4 Col, only played some of the original. I believe there was a fan patch/mod to make it less stupid though.

Gord

Arcane
Stop the hate, Civ 3 was ok.

For people interested in CivCol, there's a good mod out that attempts to fix it and succeeds with much of that, it's called "The Authentic Colonisation".
Might be worth a look if you already own CivCol. Haven't played the final version, though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For people interested in CivCol, there's a good mod out that attempts to fix it and succeeds with much of that, it's called "The Authentic Colonisation". Might be worth a look if you already own CivCol. Haven't played the final version, though.

I tried that and was disappoint. Something's just not right with that game, it's much like BE actually - a revival of a beloved classic that sort of succeeds mechanically but has none of that spark. It's like the US version of Top Gear. Ultimately it's so boring I doubt many people would go for a second playthrough (if they even finish the first one that is).

baturinsky

Arcane
Stop the hate, Civ 3 was ok.

For people interested in CivCol, there's a good mod out that attempts to fix it and succeeds with much of that, it's called "The Authentic Colonisation".
Might be worth a look if you already own CivCol. Haven't played the final version, though.

Authentic? With slave trade?

omega21

Arcane
BUT IT'S NOT CANON YOUSE GUYS, USE YOUR IMAGINATION~~~~

My god, this video offends me. This is like a bunch of latte-sipping overgroomed faggots sitting around and jerking one another off. I don't get this. This is some self-indulgent bull fucking shit.

Why bother going into all this bullshit if it doesn't affect the game at all? Marketing bullshit?

"you too, internet, not canon!!!"

Then again I deserve to get angry for watching anything coming out of these guys.

Norfleet

Well, you can still slaughter the natives...
You could, but I actually found non-native-slaughtering to be easier in newCol than oldCol. In the old game, natives were a lot more aggressive and prone to getting riled at you, and generally being incomprehensibly native. In the new game, interacting and manipulating the natives was straightforward, and I never felt like I was being attacked by bloodthirsty savages.

Gozma

Arcane
Yeah, there was always that point in the original Colonization where you've been trying to have a peace-with-the-natives game and then they murder your people one more time and it's like enough is enough you goddamn primitives

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
And here's the answer why a lot of devs accept "fuck it all" philosophy. Modders already fixed trade renewal, alien agressiveness correction and major UI flaws. Why bother with making something good when you can vomit half-assed product and other will do all the ork for you...free of charge!

Norfleet

Yeah, there was always that point in the original Colonization where you've been trying to have a peace-with-the-natives game and then they murder your people one more time and it's like enough is enough you goddamn primitives
Whereas in the new Col, the natives can easily become total bros that will help you against the King later, and you don't really have to do anything special to somehow keep them appeased, merely leaving them in peace is enough.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Holy shit this game is boring as fuck. An utter mess of game design.

Pacing is utter shit, nearly nothing happens for 200 turns. Expansion rate is slow as fuck.

Unit power progression tied to affinities makes no sense (unique units did though). Bah, it goes against the "non-linear" approach of the tech-web, as it railroads unit power progression.

Quests seem pointless.

The planet's design is pretty dull and uninspired.

Same goes to factions/sponsors.

Aliens make no sense, I mean fuck, PSI combat for mindworms made them killing hi-tech shit justifiable. The fuck is this zerg shit shooting acid at me? Also fuck siege worms shooting down tacjets (tacjets suck, majorly), how the fuck would it even reach a jet firing missiles anyway? How the fuck do some oversized bugs damage my tacjets anyway?

Mechanics are too bare bones. I mean fuck, health replaced happiness, there's no happiness. No corporations. The fuck? Indeed whats the point of making money in this if you can't dump it into science or unit upgrades?

No meaningful social engineering (even Civ V had the decency to make you choose between demokwacy/nazi/commie in the last expansion). No great citizens.

I will give them that the tech web was not a bad idea, if it was only better executed.

Also getting to customize your colony ship/colonists/starting loadout and bonuses was also a good idea.

Verdict

Can't LARP Omniventures Inc properly/10 or :3/5::0/5:

Last edited:

Norfleet

Aliens make no sense, I mean fuck, PSI combat for mindworms made them killing hi-tech shit justifiable.
You sent high-tech shit vs. mindworms? Crap units do just as well because of that psi-combat thing, and mindworms pretty much fried like popcorn if you hit them with something that allowed you to direct the power of technolergy against them without having to personally engage them.

The fuck is this zerg shit shooting acid at me?
Obviously, it's a Hydralisk. Those acid spray you see are just the spent exhaust from the spines they fire.

Also fuck siege worms shooting down tacjets (tacjets suck, majorly), how the fuck would it even reach a jet firing missiles anyway? How the fuck do some oversized bugs damage my tacjets anyway?
I can only blame this on pilot stupidity, for flying so low that they can be struck with flailing tentacles. But yeah, planes kinda suck.

Mechanics are too bare bones. I mean fuck, health replaced happiness, there's no happiness. No corporations. The fuck? Indeed whats the point of making money in this if you can't dump it into science or unit upgrades?
In the future, unhappiness is a health issue, obviously, and it's a question of making sure the population has enough happy pills. Nobody is "unhappy" anymore, because happiness is mandatory, and unhappiness is treason. Are you happy, Citizen?

Hell, one of the "health" granting buildings is the "Soma Distillery". There's your happy drugs right there.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I understand the game got a first major patch. I'm not even asking if it's worth playing yet, just if there's any hope it will be worth playing at all?

Previous Firaxis titles - CIV 5 and XCOM - were also utter shit on launch but subsequent patches and mods turned them into great games actually. So I don't wanna give up on this one either.

Multi-headed Cow

Can't be assed to fire the game up after the patch. Patchnotes didn't really scream "Now it's good like Civ 5 became!" to me, plus I'm going nuts on Dead State which satisfies my turn based strategy itch well enough. I am curious if the patch helped, but shit like "We did stuff to trade routes but we're not gonna tell you what we diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid" just pisses me off.

baturinsky

Arcane
But did Civ 5 become good?
It became better. It's still not a real Civ, because AI still can't into 1UPT and City-States are still OP. But game got a lot of new bells and whistles, so it's now a much better Civ-themed Farmville than before.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
But did Civ 5 become good?
It evolved from bland, boring, unplayable game into bland, boring, playable one. Which is probably the fate that's awaiting Beyond Earth, as long as you're willing to wait a couple of years and spend money of course.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I really don't remember civ5 being that shit when it came out. I guess it was just shit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was never shit, just very content-poor and dumbed down compared to the previous ones.

Norfleet

That is a very long-winded way of saying "shit".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom