Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Multi-headed Cow

An this piece of shit remain number 1 on steam top sellers, mainstream market rewarding incompetence since 2005.
Well, Farming Simulator 15 is currently #1.

It's also worth mentioning that Civ:BE has an angry red "Mixed" user review score on Steam. Made especially impressive because only people who own the game can rate a game on Steam, unlike something like Metacritic.

Norfleet

But most of the “quests” aren’t exactly epic. You’ve completed a new building type – do you want these buildings to provide a bonus of +1 energy or +1 food? Congratulations, you’ve completed a quest.
I actually liked these "quests". I didn't really see them as "quests" as much as an option to individualize your buildings and culture in the form of hard statistics, though. The actual questy QUESTS tend to break because they demand something impossible, or something which requires you to advance so far to get it that you'll have completed a subsequent hidden step by accident, which then breaks the quest.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Russ Pitts from PC Gamer gave the game a 87/100, praising the reactive A.I, huge variety of alien lifeforms, as well as the orbital layer, as she described it as "a fun, new twist and an engaging tactical element to Civ 5’s already finely tuned tactical game."

Nick Tan from Game Revolution praised the strong contextual setting

Daniel Tack from Game Informer gave the game a 9/10, praising the new affinity system which influence players take on how to approach the alien life and the future of humanity on the new planet. He also praised the interesting sound effects, comprehensive advice guide and high replay value.

Darren Nakamura from Destructoid also gave the game a 9/10, praising the rewarding gameplay, colorful visual, various new and influential features such as the orbital layer, the Virtues and the Affinity system, substantial overhaul in the technology system and appropriately grandiose soundtrack. He also stated that the story "had been emphasized more strongly than any any previous title in the series."

Oh, how I like those guys!

Norfleet

Russ Pitts from PC Gamer gave the game a 87/100, praising the reactive A.I, huge variety of alien lifeforms, as well as the orbital layer, as she described it as "a fun, new twist and an engaging tactical element to Civ 5’s already finely tuned tactical game."
I dunno, I wouldn't say the orbital layer does all that much, since you can't do much with it except shoot units up there to hang around for a bit before they die. Not that them dying is a problem, and if anything, it needs to happen faster, and those of you who have played know what I mean.

Daniel Tack from Game Informer gave the game a 9/10, praising the new affinity system which influence players take on how to approach the alien life and the future of humanity on the new planet. He also praised the interesting sound effects, comprehensive advice guide and high replay value.
Did these two actually play the game? The affinity system has nothing to do with how you approach the alien life.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's also worth mentioning that Civ:BE has an angry red "Mixed" user review score on Steam. Made especially impressive because only people who own the game can rate a game on Steam, unlike something like Metacritic.
A lot of reviews state that Beyond Earth is "unfinished", "unpolished", and similar words and phrases. And in many ways, they're correct. But there's a slightly more insidious truth to the statement as well.

Start up Civ V with all of the DLC expansions and play through a game. It's well-balanced, deep, intricate, and takes a good amount of effort and understanding to make it work. Now start up Civ V WITHOUT any of the DLC expansions.

Drastically different game, isn't it? Suddenly the balancing is gone, the depth has disappeared, even the use of culture points is different. You're playing something that seems... unfinished. Unpolished. Broken. It's not the full game yet.

That is what I feel is happening with Beyond Earth. It's not just the standard glitches and problems that every launch title ends up having, it's that people are comparing it to Civ V with the DLC, and not Civ V as it was when it initially came out. And it's an unfair comparison.

Beyond Earth is not a bad game when judged on its own merits. The graphics are clean, the tech tree is deep, the bugs (both literal and figurative) are not overwhelming. There are definitely aspects that need work; the interface is drastically in need of an overhaul, the civilopedia is missing critical information on some of the structures, some things are never explained at all, and there are graphical glitches here and there among the prettiness. But unfortunately it's never going to be judged on its own merits. It's going to be judged against Alpha Centauri (which, let's face it, people are viewing through rose-colored glasses) and against Civ V.

Having said all of that, though... the fact that we're going to be forced to wait for DLC in order to have a great game instead of merely a finished one does not lend itself to much of a positive review. So even though I still feel that Beyond Earth is being unfairly maligned, I cannot in good faith recommend purchasing it in the form it is now. At least not at full price.

Wait until the next sale, or even better wait until the first DLC and then get them both on sale.
This is one of user's reviews.

Well, what can I say. Perhaps I should add, the happiness/health implementation in both this and in CivV is complete crap, and needs to be applied on per city basis. If there should be an overall health to calculate infections and other stuff, it should be on top of that.

tomorrow i'll start to sell my own new car model which is an exact copy of the ford t.
should people buy it because i need to have time to develop it, to patch it? fuck no, it's a disaster of a car, nobody in his sane mind would ever buy or even advice to buy such an abortion.
why doesn't this happen with videogames too?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The voiceacting in this fuckin' game is excruciating. And when that chick with that indian accent started talking, I quickly used the exit button.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
i summon thee, codex! i need the "civilization 5 diplomacy" comic for my next review.
Enjoy
f9FW2.gif

Destroid

Arcane
I was just trying a game on quick speed, I think it works a lot better this way, relieves that really dull starting period where nothing really happens for a long time on the slower speeds.

Norfleet

Well, there's the option for "parrot" also. I am unclear what any of this really means. Or why anyone ever bothered.

The voiceacting in this fuckin' game is excruciating. And when that chick with that indian accent started talking, I quickly used the exit button.
But she voices EVERYTHING, including the lines which aren't hers! I don't get this. They clearly HAD these other people, but they couldn't get them to say their own lines? Honestly, though, her voice isn't really terrible. You have to play various other games to hear some truly nails-on-chalkboard voices.

J1M

Arcane
This product is nowhere near finished. Clearly a decision was made to make a really quick and cheap total conversion for Civ5 and spend any remaining Alpha Centauri mindshare.

It is missing wonder videos, a variety of useful strategy screens, factions with personalities, gameplay variety, and the graphs that show relative progress over time. That last one really surprised me, since they would have purposefully disabled it in the engine.

Speaking of engine, those assholes hid the bloom options in an .ini file and used blurry UI textures.

The entire product is a waste of time.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Look forward to the "Makes the Game Good" expansion pack release next year that'll cost as much as the fucking stand alone game.

I don't see that happening. It's missing half the things that would even make it a game, let's alone a passable one. No amount of jewing is profitable enough to save this one.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Playing the free version, oh man those "quotes". Its literally a CiV mod. Cant they just remake Alpha Centauri?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom