Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everyone playing on Hard difficulty? Read the game poses a very nice challenge on it.
Playing custom with all dice-fudging turned off. I don't like dice-fudging. If it turns out to be too easy without dice-fudging I'll probably turn it back to Hard (and be disappointed).

Wait, dice-fudging is turned on on hard? That's disappointing
There's some degree of dice-fudging on every preset difficulty level. Fortunately it can be turned off, though obviously at the expense of experiencing the game the way it was "meant to be played", if that even means anything anymore.

Edit: screenshots for those interested. The "miss smoothening", at least, is turned off on hard. I'm still going to try to play without behind-the-scenes rerolling.
43267DE0A1AE39CFE232B9DD06E3567FE689AE0D

0903F346D63AFB989B3533101B8BAAB7101C9FB3

B1B12FB8019A0CF2875CDEEF200BE55E4636C3A2

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
someone please talk about the merchant that is only accessible in the deluxe edition for those who have it when they get it, i hear it's a mid-way thing.. curious to know how pay2win it is or if it's useless shit....

it all hinges on this

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
someone please talk about the merchant that is only accessible in the deluxe edition for those who have it when they get it, i hear it's a mid-way thing.. curious to know how pay2win it is or if it's useless shit....

it all hinges on this
He appears at 0:41 in the launch trailer.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

it all hinges on this
He appears at 0:41 in the launch trailer.
it's on screen for a second and only one item is selected with no context as to the rest of the available gear in the game...

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Just purchased. Not going to get around to playing it for a while I think, but 'dex gamedevs deserve support.

Bought it as I said I would. I did not expect the discount, so this is a steal. I plan on playing it a lot this weekend. Will write a formal review when done, I think.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It's 25% off in GMG, a couple of dinars cheaper than in Steam. What discount are you talking about?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Definitely going to buy this over the weekend, sale or not. Been waiting on this for years, going to be my next main game. A shorter , quality jaunt will be a blessing after the past few years of survival-crafting games that you have to no-life to make decent progress in. And the Ultima formula is still one of the best ever devised for crpgs.
Same, I will be buying it tonight after having anticipated this game with excitement for several years. Seeing that it is being well received is wonderful, I had a feeling this was going to be excellent and can't wait for the weekend to begin so I can try it myself. I refused to even play the demo because I wanted to go in to the full game with everything being new for me.

baba is you

Educated
I've played it for over 5 hours since release. I quite like the art and OST. The writing is sometimes heavy and sometimes light, but overall it is well written.
The UI visibility is a bit disappointing, but I like the combat and other parts, so I'm having fun with it. enjoyed Moonring or Caves of Lore last year will probably like it.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm a fire-focused battle magos.

The Guild Magos seems like a better choice to start with, as I see more spell versatility and some abilities that the Battlemage doesn't get, like Spellburn. I don't see the point of getting the light weapon feat on that character. It seems like a robust system, not bloated with feats. There are few choices of classes, but each of them has significant differences and roles. I quite like it so far; it has a very old-school D&D combat feel. They could have done without that faux retro look, however.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/t...-forgetting-its-actually-lovecraftian-horror/

The best thing about this retro fantasy RPG is that I keep forgetting it's actually Lovecraftian horror​

Skald: Against the Black Priory is a brilliantly unsettling blend of genres.

Everything about Skald: Against the Black Priory feels crafted to lull me into a false sense of security. With its wonderfully garish retro RPG visuals, familiar classes and character options, and simple turn-based combat, I keep being lured into thinking I'm just on a typical fantasy adventure. That only makes it all the more disturbing when I'm reminded that it's not.

The game starts with a very well-worn RPG trope: you're shipwrecked on an island with nothing but the clothes on your back and an important quest to fulfil (in this case locating a childhood friend who's mysteriously gone missing). But all is not well here on Idra—a curse has befallen the island, transforming the wildlife into monsters and infecting the people with madness and plague. I'm yet to discover the source of this darkness (though I have my suspicions), but the result is plain: the land is suffused with Lovecraftian horror.

On the surface, nothing I've been battling seems that out of the ordinary—I'm not new to being a level 1-5 adventurer, I've fought giant rats, angry crabs, and bandits before. But everything's subtly wrong. The rats aren't just giant, they're taking on human-like traits—I get genuine chills when I meet their writhing, monstrous queen and discover she can talk. The crabs guard a hidden chamber where inscrutable experiments were conducted impossibly far in the ancient past—I claim a knife there that the local lighthouse keeper is so afraid of he begs me to destroy it. The bandits are crazed and fanatical, murdering and sacrificing everyone they can find—but it turns out they were ordinary fishermen before this all started. Were they driven insane, or were they always secretly in league with dark gods of the ocean?

Where the normal top-down view is reassuringly simple and unassuming, moments of discovery are marked with suddenly hyper-detailed pixel-art—a visual shock to go with the brief yet horrific descriptions. I'm reminded of another retro throwback, brilliantly creepy point-and-click game The Excavation of Hobb's Barrow, which pulled a similar trick, contrasting periods of quiet puzzle-solving with sudden grotesque close-ups. But in that game the folk horror atmosphere was always there, keeping you perpetually on edge. Skald instead gives you just enough RPG busywork to keep you subtly distracted. After an hour of tinkering with my talent tree, sorting through my equipment, gathering vegetables to cook into an evening meal, and taking on simple sidequests, I almost drop into RPG auto-pilot. I don't mean that it's dull or rote, just that it just puts me in a totally different headspace than a horror game normally would—one that lets it keep surprising me with how dark and strange it's ready to get.

What's crucial is that it doesn't let the horror bleed into any of those core mechanics. Your characters have never seen anything like this before, and the world they grew up in was sane and normal—they have typical fantasy classes, they cook soups and pies and brew healing potions, they cast spells with names like Barkskin and Bear's Strength. In other similar games you'll often see a more horror-tinged approach to the character options, perhaps letting you start as an Occultist with strange powers of their own—that sets a tone, but there's something so effective here about feeling like a standard D&D party that's stumbled into a nightmare completely unawares.

It's certainly got me hooked. Every human sacrifice, malevolent fungus, and idol of an elder god I discover makes me more and more intrigued to see how deep this rabbit hole goes—and how many more times Skald can take me by surprise. If you too can't help but investigate that which will inevitably drive you mad, the game's just become available on Steam today.

n0wh3r3

Educated
Anyone else is having/had issues with launching/playing the game? For me it keeps freezing right before the main menu.
I have been able to go through character creation before my computer shut down without reason.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Playing this, the most challenging foe so far is hunger, but I dig it.

-Combat is basic. If you can set up a flank you get an advantage, or you have to charge. Simple engagement mechanic where you can't move away from foes or you lose your action. Thieves can ignore this. Overall it's nothing compared to Caves of Lore or Kingsvein, but works as it's own brutal slugfest.
-Arrows are too expensive, at least from the first vendor. 2gp a pop, where a sword costs like 10gp. Unless money is handed out very freely or you can craft them I'd stay away from bows.
-Not sure I see the point of Vitality. It doesn't heal on its own and if you run out you're pretty much dead anyway. Wounds can be slept off too so who cares? I'm not sure why devs always think they're being so clever with these granular health systems. HP as an abstraction is one of the most enduring mechanics in the genre and some guy with a C64 palette probably isn't going to reinvent that.
-No skill points on level up (at least not up to level 5). Pick your starting skills wisely, you can only get a couple bonus points from your feats, and they're class specific.
-Likewise it seemed to indicate 20 was the level cap, and I'm already level 5 after like 90 min. Concerning.
-Starting party members are a thief and armsmaster. I also rolled armsmaster so I am disappoint. I haven't found a healer yet so I may restart with one of those classes.
-It bugs me when a game like this that controls your party members and skills so closely gives me skill checks that I only have a 1/12 chance of even being able to attempt. I found a 'mercenary' but that was the game telling me I could spend 300 gold to get another custom character. Fuck you. Just give me full party gen or don't. Otherwise you have to provide enough NPCs to cover the basics.
-Almost but not quite too much word-vomit. Could trim 10-20% of the dialogue and it would be an improvement.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So obviously, niche game is niche game. But unfortunately the launch day numbers are rather low:

1717170788608.png

Very interesting given the low price, long lead up time and abundant marketing (for this subgenre).

TwoEdge

Scholar
Grampy_Bone Very good points. About bow use, though, fletching arrows is a camp activity that checks against crafting and requires no materials as far as I can tell, making bows much more viable. Also, having a melee and ranged option on characters seems the design intent, from feat implementation to combat situations, so I feel focusing on both is optimal. It's too early to tell, though.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/t...-forgetting-its-actually-lovecraftian-horror/

The best thing about this retro fantasy RPG is that I keep forgetting it's actually Lovecraftian horror​

Skald: Against the Black Priory is a brilliantly unsettling blend of genres.

Everything about Skald: Against the Black Priory feels crafted to lull me into a false sense of security. With its wonderfully garish retro RPG visuals, familiar classes and character options, and simple turn-based combat, I keep being lured into thinking I'm just on a typical fantasy adventure. That only makes it all the more disturbing when I'm reminded that it's not.

The game starts with a very well-worn RPG trope: you're shipwrecked on an island with nothing but the clothes on your back and an important quest to fulfil (in this case locating a childhood friend who's mysteriously gone missing). But all is not well here on Idra—a curse has befallen the island, transforming the wildlife into monsters and infecting the people with madness and plague. I'm yet to discover the source of this darkness (though I have my suspicions), but the result is plain: the land is suffused with Lovecraftian horror.

On the surface, nothing I've been battling seems that out of the ordinary—I'm not new to being a level 1-5 adventurer, I've fought giant rats, angry crabs, and bandits before. But everything's subtly wrong. The rats aren't just giant, they're taking on human-like traits—I get genuine chills when I meet their writhing, monstrous queen and discover she can talk. The crabs guard a hidden chamber where inscrutable experiments were conducted impossibly far in the ancient past—I claim a knife there that the local lighthouse keeper is so afraid of he begs me to destroy it. The bandits are crazed and fanatical, murdering and sacrificing everyone they can find—but it turns out they were ordinary fishermen before this all started. Were they driven insane, or were they always secretly in league with dark gods of the ocean?

Where the normal top-down view is reassuringly simple and unassuming, moments of discovery are marked with suddenly hyper-detailed pixel-art—a visual shock to go with the brief yet horrific descriptions. I'm reminded of another retro throwback, brilliantly creepy point-and-click game The Excavation of Hobb's Barrow, which pulled a similar trick, contrasting periods of quiet puzzle-solving with sudden grotesque close-ups. But in that game the folk horror atmosphere was always there, keeping you perpetually on edge. Skald instead gives you just enough RPG busywork to keep you subtly distracted. After an hour of tinkering with my talent tree, sorting through my equipment, gathering vegetables to cook into an evening meal, and taking on simple sidequests, I almost drop into RPG auto-pilot. I don't mean that it's dull or rote, just that it just puts me in a totally different headspace than a horror game normally would—one that lets it keep surprising me with how dark and strange it's ready to get.

What's crucial is that it doesn't let the horror bleed into any of those core mechanics. Your characters have never seen anything like this before, and the world they grew up in was sane and normal—they have typical fantasy classes, they cook soups and pies and brew healing potions, they cast spells with names like Barkskin and Bear's Strength. In other similar games you'll often see a more horror-tinged approach to the character options, perhaps letting you start as an Occultist with strange powers of their own—that sets a tone, but there's something so effective here about feeling like a standard D&D party that's stumbled into a nightmare completely unawares.

It's certainly got me hooked. Every human sacrifice, malevolent fungus, and idol of an elder god I discover makes me more and more intrigued to see how deep this rabbit hole goes—and how many more times Skald can take me by surprise. If you too can't help but investigate that which will inevitably drive you mad, the game's just become available on Steam today.
I agree with the assessment that sometimes you forget it's a lovecraftian horror. I'll admit I haven't followed this game's development closely and didn't know much about it and that took me by surprise because I was expecting dragons, krakens and shit(atleast in the way they're usually presented in such settings). It's not common to have that kind of theme in a medieval setting. I've had a similar experience when I went in blind with AoD(wasn't expecting aliens and stargate stuff in a pos-apoc ancient rome world). Personally I enjoy when the story surprises me like that, be it games, movies or any other media.

I'm still at the beginning but so far so good. I'm finding the writing pretty darn good - was expecting a more combat heavy game but this has tons of well written text and lots of non-combat related ways to handle encounters. The combat and RPG mechanics are p.gud too - not the most complex systems ever but good enough for a RPG veteran to enjoy.

Mortmal

Arcane
I think (hope) most players into this type game are like me and wanted a DRM free version so asked for a GOG key.
The Kickstarter campaign gathered around €18,500 with 443 backers, many choosing higher tiers. People opted for more expensive tiers, which could be double the base price. GOG sales figures are typically negligible, so the player base is likely not much larger than the 583 concurrent Steam players. The game's absence from Steam's top seller lists further indicates minimal sales on that platform. Now you can be confident that almost everyone who was interested and backed the project has likely tried it. There's a lack of broader interest, despite the game's quality.

TwoEdge

Scholar
I'm not as far into the game as you, but my anecdotal experience comes from Katyana wrecking face with ranged backstabs while not spending a single point in rogue ranged talents (also, the whole rogue ranged tree is only 12 points, is it really that much investment?), you also seem to recover some arrows after combat (and even get a feat to increase that). Moreover, bows are typed ranged and light, meaning they double dip. I'll defer to your experience, though, I'm way too early on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom