Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
CLIFFRACER DIPLOMACY!

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And with this LEGENDARY UPDATE, Skyrim finally jumps the shark.

(I know most of you old people would say that the TES series jumped the shark with Oblivion or even Morrowind, and thus Skyrim was already beyond jumping the shark. But hey. I'm ...young. What can I say.)

Before, there was at least some choice as you were limited to 80 perks to distribute. But Todd and most Skyrim players had a problem with that. See, what about the rest of the perks? Why can't we pick them as well? Why do you force me to choose?! Why can't I have ALL the perks, and level FOREVER and ever and ever and ever?

Wouldn't that be, like many posters on the Skyrim forum say, "AWESOME"???

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
You're unkillable with 0 perks, why do they care?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So I only noticed raccy's post, and uh, well... yeah. The whole trolling about how Skyrim is better because ZOMG PERKS! from a few pages back is now much, much funnier.

Fixed rare instance of couriers who would appear only dressed in a hat
:lol:

Kitako

Arcane
  • Legendary Skills – Skills of 100 can be made Legendary. This will reset the skill to 15, return its Perks and allow the skill to affect leveling again. This effectively removes the overall level cap.

kEUnDzE.jpg

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
instead of bitching like a faggot, like the rest of you, i'll say this is actually kind of an incline. tell me of any other publisher that supports its game 1 year after release. escepting DLC.

DraQ

Arcane
So bethesda comes up with an actual improvement somehow (forcing players to choose how to develop their character), only to patch it out later?

I seriously wish someone popped Todd's mole.

You cannot use your Speech skill to avoid getting attacked in the first place. Therefore the diplomatic path in Morrowind doesn't exist.
Actually, high personality and reputation can boost reaction modifier so much that many enemies, at least those that are NPCs, won't be aggressive IIRC.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And with this LEGENDARY UPDATE, Skyrim finally jumps the shark.

(I know most of you old people would say that the TES series jumped the shark with Oblivion or even Morrowind, and thus Skyrim was already beyond jumping the shark. But hey. I'm ...young. What can I say.)

Before, there was at least some choice as you were limited to 80 perks to distribute. But Todd and most Skyrim players had a problem with that. See, what about the rest of the perks? Why can't we pick them as well? Why do you force me to choose?! Why can't I have ALL the perks, and level FOREVER and ever and ever and ever?

Wouldn't that be, like many posters on the Skyrim forum say, "AWESOME"???

It would take at least 200 hours to max the perk tree. Why do so many people act like the first 80 hours of an RPG don't matter if you eventually reach godhood?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It would take at least 200 hours to max the perk tree. Why do so many people act like the first 80 hours of an RPG don't matter if you eventually reach godhood?
NPCs don't achieve godhood.

I'm not in favor of 10/10 100/100 being attainable in RPGs. I wish they didn't add respec in Dragonborn or this new legendary thing. I just also don't think 100 hours of only being good in four or five skills out of 20 can be tossed in the bin as irrelevant because of the second 100 hours.

Gord

Arcane

The "legendary skill" option probably only appeals to you if you are interested in continuing with the same char ad infinitum, which is indeed pretty boring considering that you are already roflstomping most enemies around lvl 30-35 (at the latest).
For the completionist, LARPing and 12yo crowd this might be a welcome addition I guess.
But if you are more interested in playing characters around a certain concept (i.e. classes like mage, fighter, thief), you are unlikely to ever use it anyway.

Still, WTF?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But if you are more interested in playing characters around a certain concept (i.e. classes like mage, fighter, thief), you are unlikely to ever use it anyway.

Indeed.

I beat the game and did the stormcloaks with a Nord warrior type. I did the thieves guild and dark brotherhood with a sneaky archer type. I did the mage's guild, daedric quests and other random shit with a pure mage. All three characters were very pigeon-holed for the length I played them, up to around level 40 or so. Could I have played them to 80 and made them cross-classes? Yes. Could I now effectively play them to 250 and get every perk? Yes. Does that insane 200+ hour time investment to achieve perfection mean roleplaying is pointless in Skyrim? Of course not.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So, I never touched Skyrim after the monumental dogshit that was Oblivion.

so, uh, is Skyrim any good?
as a sword and shield-FPS with a rich world (in terms of shit to read and amount of stuff to look at and visit) -- it's actually good.
as an RPG? it's fucking shit. poor character development system and mostly poor combat. superficial world interaction. no meaningful choices.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
So, I never touched Skyrim after the monumental dogshit that was Oblivion.

so, uh, is Skyrim any good?

If you like action open-world games with RPG elements you could do a hell of a lot worse.
Hmmmm...
Someone once said that to me about Oblivion. Lemme clarify. I hated Oblivion and loved Gothic 2, so where does Skyrim fall on that scale?

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
It's making out with Oblivion in one seat.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Skyrim is not as retarded or boring as Oblivion. Unlike Oblivion you can ignore most of the dumb stuff (and there is much less of it) plus the copy+paste is vastly reduced. Combat in Skyrim is much better due to more satisfying "feel" in sound/animation/etc. and less HP bloat, graphics are of course better, world is more varied and distinct, lore is better, story is better, etc. Level scaling is there but is much better implemented and less drastic. Enemy variety is good, although too many suffer from being tactically identical (basically you have mages, melee and archers, and they all behave the same as each other regardless of what they look like, even non-humanoids).

It's not an amazing game by any stretch but if you want a fairly casual RPG that is focused on sandbox mechanics and exploration, it's fun enough. With mods it can become a very difficult and fairly challenging game with somewhat well balanced RPG character development (but also is clearly not designed from scratch for it).

If you are not opposed to piracy it's not like you have much to lose except download time. Only mods I would recommend as critical is SkyUI + Skyrim Script Extender/SKSE, but I suggest getting all the unofficial patches too.

---------

I finished Dragonborn. Thoughts:
  • Solstheim? Nice. Environment is a bit bland (would have liked more mushrooms and a little grass here and there instead of entirely snow and ash) but I guess that fits with the lore and original design. Raven Rock is well realized and seeing all the Morrowind buildings return in high-res modern glory was cool. The new lore books are nice to have and some are fairly entertaining. Liked the change in feel and pace from the constant Nord-wankery in Skyrim.
  • There are some good dungeons with some set pieces and puzzles. Starting up ancient dwemer boilers, raising and lowering water levels to access new areas, etc. was pretty fun even if Bethesda didn't take it quite to its full potential (most puzzles were pure trial and error or way too easy). On the other hand there was still filler, mostly the Reikling burrows.
  • Speaking of, new enemies were disappointing. Ash Spawn are just reskinned humans with unique graphics and death animations + different drops. Reiklings are basically the same thing except they are shorter and can jump out of the ground/barrels/etc. in scripted spots. The Seekers and Lurkers were neat, but I really wish there were more with some new gimmicks. Werebears? You only see them like once, missed opportunity for some more variety in my opinion.
  • New loot looks okay but I would have liked real high level light armor instead of just heavy armor (chitin/bonemold/etc. is cool but kinda worthless except for looks). Couple unique weapons, nothing real special. Once again nothing worthwhile available for archers, and crossbows are non-existent from what I saw.
  • Story was a huge missed opportunity. Ancient cults? The Daedric Prince of Mindfuckery mind-fucking the island? Erecting Lovecraftian monuments? A competing Dragonborn who steals the souls of dragons before you can take them? Shit, those are cool ideas! Except the cult seems to be a dead end plot (who are they worshipping again? why? what are their goals? I guess they're just mindless followers who... stand around doing nothing?), Hermie-Mormie is less an interesting character and more just a plot device, Miirak's goals/ambitions/motivations/origins/powers/etc. are never explored or explained adequately (nor is his relationship to Herpa-Merpa), the evil monuments aren't well explained and end up being nothing more than a filler quest, the "ancient secrets" of the Skaal are never told and it's not even clear why they are important or what they are, etc. Instead of being a story about arcane, hidden, forbidden and disturbing knowledge, all we get are weak hand-waves pointing us to the next quest marker. For being the Daedric Prince of Mind-fuckery, H&M doesn't do jack shit and nothing "crazy" ever happens; it's just an excuse for some cool dungeon designs. If someone could take Bethesda's core ideas and turn them into something coherent... seriously, Bethesda, hire a real writer.
  • Quests were... eh. Still a lot of fetch quests to be found but I did like how a few had some "unexpected" turns. Multiple resolutions for some is nice, but of course they have zero consequences. I liked the dwemer quest requiring you find those keystones in separate ruins around the world; requiring free exploration instead of following quest arrows is always good. There were at least some good little mini-quests, like finding the skull of an ancient frost giant and then fighting its spirit, would have liked more of those instead of "HERE DELIVER THIS MEAD FOR ME."
  • Once again a major DLC "feature" turns out to be useless. Dragon riding has no purpose because dragons do poor damage and killing stuff is slow, fast travel has no advantage, it's buggy and you can't control it yourself. Even if the dragon damage kept being shit, why can't we directly control the dragons? We have horses! Okay, I know it's to prevent seeing map errors, going out of bounds or otherwise breaking the game, but come on, I'd accept some invisible walls, and I think anyone who pays $60 + $20 for the game and DLC should have the right to such a feature. Everyone buying and playing Dragonborn to completion to get the dragon riding bonus is already a hopeless neckbeard who has put dozens of hours into the game, I don't think they will be shocked by the fact that such a feature might cause problems.
So yeah, better than the abortion that was Dawnguard, but less value ($20 for amount of content we got for $10 in Fallout 3/New Vegas days? lame). A few steps forward, could have even been "great", but as it stands it's just kind of "okay", like the bare minimum of positive qualities it can get away with without being called mediocre/bad. I'd easily feel comfortable paying $20 for this if they turned the good premise into a real lore-rich story that made sense, instead of being a setup for some new art direction and fetch quests. It's just really frustrating to see Bethesda genuinely improving in terms of their world design, lore handling, art, etc. but then their story stuff is the very definition of "failure to launch."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So yeah, better than the abortion that was Dawnguard, but less value ($20 for amount of content we got for $10 in Fallout 3/New Vegas days? lame). A few steps forward, could have even been "great", but as it stands it's just kind of "okay", like the bare minimum of positive qualities it can get away with without being called crap. I'd easily pay $20 for this if they turned the good premise into a real story that made sense, instead of being a setup for some new art direction and fetch quests.

I was with you until you compared it to New Vegas DLC in size. It's much bigger and, if you like Skyrim, much more worth the money IMO.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Dragonborn is about the same size as Point Lookout/Old World Blues, which were both $10. Definitely no Shivering Isles. The main quest can be completed in about 2 hours without even rushing. Is your memory that short?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dragonborn is about the same size as Point Lookout/Old World Blues, which were both $10. Definitely no Shivering Isles. The main quest can be completed in about 2 hours without even rushing. Is your memory that short?

The main quest is short but it has a TON of side content. And it definitely bigger than Old World Blues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom