Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

lightbane

Arcane
Optional: there's supposedly an extra ending by completing Amala network that overrides all others and is apparently the most badass.

Yep. It also unlocks the strongest/best/hardest battle/s in the game, so ready yourself.

Deflowerer

Arcane
If you think you'll replay the game, I'd save that ending for second playthrough.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am too much of a scrub to fight against SMT bonus bosses.

It entails tons of grindings and fighting the boss is 40 minutes of repeating 4 sequence of actions over and over again.

I suspect I may be coming to a point of (apparent) no return regarding the Reasons. Without much spoilers, could someone say if I'm more or less correct in my interpretation?

1. Your teacher Takao is a weak bitch. At first I sympathized with her because she looked the only sane person in this mess. But then I realized she was easily used by Mr. Hikawa all this time AND was possessed by a fucking entity right in the middle of her philosophic speech, which leads me to believe it's not even hers to begin with.

2. Hikawa sensei was the opposite - at first looked like an egothistic asshole. But after knowing him more (and the conversation at extinct Manta HQ) he looked very reasonable. Like InD_ImaginE said, it sounded very Buddhist to me too.

3. Isamu is an anti-social wanker who wants to live his life inside his own virtual JRPG dating NPC waifus.

4. Chiaki hinted at suffering at the hand of demons (tentacle rape?) and became a fucking Furiosa straight from Mad Max and wants a world of the strong.

Optional: there's supposedly an extra ending by completing Amala network that overrides all others and is apparently the most badass.
Is that it? If so, I'm sympathetic to Hikawa sensei and Chiaki Furiosa myself.

Honestly the very good thing about Noctrune is, besides Chiaki, the other 2 reasons + true ending is very appealing. Hikawa is a world of stillness, as mentioned pretty much the usual Law schitk, but instead of making the world endless drone that worships god, it is has a very good case of Nirvana where one find inner peace within instead of getting brainwashed.

Isamu is the anti-thesis of Hikawa. Whether its good or not is arguable, but putting everybody in their Lotus Eater Machine state is also an end of suffering.

Chiaki was hinted to have a rough life as well before the whole singularity started up. Unfortunately her Reason is pretty much Chaos path with not much of interesting twist.

The three of them basically has these strong values before the whole shit started and shit that happens after just makes them stronger manifesting in their own Reason.

I am too much of a scrub to fight against SMT bonus bosses.

It entails tons of grindings and fighting the boss is 40 minutes of repeating 4 sequence of actions over and over again.

It normally entails around 2 rounds of buffing/debuffing and 5-10 rounds of focused physical attacks + staying alive with buffs on.

IIRC the strongest possible MC physical skill (Deathbound w/ life surge for 999 HP) can hit around 10-12k damage while focused, final boss is only 65k health. And these aren't uncommon skills for Demons, though it might take a while to roll pierce + deathbound + life surge + focus.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
What are the endgame phys/damage dealing skills I should be in the lookout for, and their Magatama?

I already have Fog Breath, Rakunda, Focus and Might.

There's two main types of physical skills, normal and HP-based. Normal skills scale off your level and strength. HP-based scale purely off your max HP.

HP-based is better IMO since you can boost their effect by maxing vitality and taking Life Surge, which is a really good idea anyway since the game ends on MC death and physical skills require spending HP. Deathbound is by far the best, since it's a random-hit skill. This means it will generally hit twice on single targets and thanks to life surge you'll hit 999 HP and cap it out in damage fairly early, around the end of the midgame. Unfortunately there's no really great HP-based hit-all skill for the MC, so you'd have to be content with just hitting 2 or 3 out of 4 enemies in a random encounter. Demons can get both Deathbound and also Hassohappa which is like Deathbound but instead hits all targets once, good for random encounters without physical repel.

Good normal skills are Freikugel/Deadly Fury. Both are single target/single hit. Freikugel has the highest single-hit damage in the game AFAIK and is almighty, which means it bypasses physical reflect (pierce only beats physical void and resist). Deadly Fury is moderate damage but has like a 90% crit rate. Both aren't really as good as Deathbound's ability to multi-hit through unless you really grind levels to boost their power (or, in NG+, abuse sacrifice to fuse level 250 demons). Gaea Rage is the hits all targets version, so it's good for random encounters assuming no enemy has repel. These are all MC-exclusive skills I believe but there are a few equivalent demon-only skills.

Personally I'd go with Deathbound, Life Surge, Focus, Freikugel, Might, Avenge, then 2 open slots for whatever you want (Tornado/Glacial Blast maybe, or whatever buffs/debuffs/healing spells you like). I'm not sure exactly what point Life Surge becomes irrelevant and you'd have 999 HP with just 40 Vitality + your levels, it might be 80s or it might be well into the 100s. Deathbound is your general spam skill and Freikugel what you use when fighting physical repel enemies that would kill you if you used Deathbound.

Also special mention to Magma Axis, which is a spell that costs health and scales like a physical skill (meaning it increases damage with level indefinitely rather than capping out around level 50ish). It's otherwise a spell that relies on magic stat and doesn't use focus/pierce, but w/ fire boost it's the main way to still do serious damage as a caster.

You can find the magatamas and the level for the skills here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/582958-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/faqs/33233, notably Deathbound's magatama requires a decent amount of strength to get in the first place so you can't go full max vit/min strength and in the endgame when you slap Masakados on you'll have near-max strength to utilize Freikugel well.

Last edited:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hey, is there a way you can control or direct how a demon will develop? Can you know beforehand exactly which skills/abilities it will get on next level-up and change or alter it?

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Check the wiki for demon learn lists. Heretic Mansion program also works but doubles as a fusion calculator.

The "x wants to change a skill" thing? Detailed here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/582958-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/faqs/23739, search for "Self-Altering Skills". I'd generally take it so long as my demon was registered in the compendium recently, you can just pull it back out if it really fucks up. Sometimes you get really good random picks. In particular this is one of the benefits of having several low-level Watchful demons, they get lots of levels and you can chain-upgrade to great skills if you get lucky. I remember upgrading Counter->Retaliate->Avenge on a pixie really early in one of my games. I sure spread that shit around all the demons I sacrificed her on. It's a level 60 or so skill and I was rocking it in the late 20s.

For the regular skills learned, those are all pre-set and you can look at the demon lists. Several demons also evolve to higher-form demons if your level is high enough and they've learned all their skills.

Just randomly reading up on some nocturne related stuff before I try the Hardtype mod, the guy who made the mod detailed the vanilla formulas for a bunch of stuff here: https://zombero.wordpress.com/category/smt-nocturne/

A bit spoiler-y but TL;DR

Don't waste your time on agility or luck, they are basically worthless. Though you need a middling amount to pass through some doors, don't recall it being anything important.

EDIT: And the same modder also did the math with several of the physical skills here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/582958-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/75818210, confirming that Deathbound is your #1 choice from level 60 to almost level 120!

Stats:
Freikugel: Power=65, Crit=30%
Iron Claw: Power=56, Crit=45%

Noteworthy addendums:
Freikugel is Almighty
Iron Claw has a 45% miss rate (Freikugel has 3%)

Since Freikugel deals ~16% more base damage than Iron Claw, the +15% crit chance on the claw would need to exceed 16% damage + the player's subjective valuation of the addendums section. At minimum, the extra crit chance should be valued at +7.5% damage (15% chance of +50% damage), but it's probably most fair to value it at ~22.5% (15% chance of +150% damage) to account for the extra turn. Technically we also have to account for the chance of subsequent turns to get critical hits, and the chance that all we have left are flashing turn icons and thus we get no extra turn, but 22.5% should be pretty close. That makes as 5.6% more damage than Freikugel on average. So compare that to how much you value the "addendums" and you have your answer.

For Deathbound:
Power=68.4 (38 per hit), Crit=21%, Miss=5%

Hypothesis:
Deathbound hits an average of 1.8 times (40% chance of 1 hit, 40% chance of 2 hits, 20% chance of 3 hits). This is based on my recollection of tests I did a long time ago of using DB 100 times, so if anyone wants to perform their own tests to double check my memory, feel free.

So DB's effective power is 68.4. Factoring crit chance using the same method as above, Freikugel is 4.8% stronger. However, due to Deathbound's HP basis, this is only the case if (1) you have not HP boosting passives or (2) your (level + Vit) >= 166. Most likely that will mean level 126 with 40 Vit. For each point below that (assuming your HP boosting passives are sufficient to reach 999 HP) you would lose 0.6% effective power.

All this basically means if you are below lv 118, DB's average damage is higher than Freikugel's so long as you have any HP boosting passives. Beyond that, you have to subjectively consider Freikugel's Almighty element, lower HP cost, and (slightly) lower miss chance. Sidenote: at very high levels, Freikugel will be much stronger, because Deathbound never gains any power beyond 999 HP.

EDIT2: And I think he actually messed up the math, because Deathbound hits can crit individually. This means if you roll 1.8 hits on average it should have closer to a 35% crit rate. Though the math is a bit messy since you have to account for the fact that it's a 35% chance to crit at least once (only half of your damage is 1.5x, but you get the flashing icon for a free attack), so the other .8 of your average hits only receives the damage boost much more rarely. And of course a double crit doesn't give you two flashing icons.

Doing the math properly as far as I can tell, Freikugel is effective power = 74.75 (from power = 65 + 30% chance for 1.5x damage) + 30% chance for another attack (@74.75) = 97.175 total power
Deathbound is:
40% chance of effective power = 42. From 38 damage + 21% chance of 50% more damage.
40% chance of effective power = 84
20% chance of effective power = 126
Which gives us a base average damage of 75.6 including the crit damage but not including the crit chance for a new attack. When including the chance for at least one crit (21%, 37.59%, and 50.69% respectively, which gives an overall chance of 33.57%) and a new attack off that crit (@ 75.6 damage), we're looking at an overall power of 75.6 + 33.57% = 100.978. So Deathbound is actually about 3% stronger rather than 4.8% weaker, going by his math. I have no idea how level or whatever affects this so I can't tell you the breakpoints, but suffice to say they are even further than he implies. With Life Surge you're just way, way above the competition.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
This combat system would rock in a more open environment with a strategic layer on top ala Xcom.

Is this what Strange Journey is?

Feldwebel87

Barely Literate
Nope, not joking. Not saying it is the best in the series, but if you are a fan of megaten, you can appreciate it. I would say it is my second favorite behind nocturne.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Almost level 60 and only now learned how to use elemental and mitamas. My team is Hell Biker (with Attack All, Might and Bright Might), Daisojou (also Bright Might) and one normal demon dependent on area and boss. These two make my team so ridiculously powerful that Im starting to one shot bosses with no need to go back to a reload/state to adjust strategies or something.

By the way, both Daisojou and Biker are 50 level. Will they continue being useful until endgame if I keep investing mitama on them to raise their stats? Or should I prepare my heart to drop them eventually?

Also, why I can't fuse the other Fiends I've killed? White/Black/Red/Pale Riders, I kicked their asses but none show up for me to fuse.

Nope, not joking. Not saying it is the best in the series, but if you are a fan of megaten, you can appreciate it. I would say it is my second favorite behind nocturne.
I've read a synopse the other day and it sounded pretty cool with the idea of starting as a medieval setting that suddenly goes neo Tokyo. My problem is familiarizing with 3DS interface, which feels weird as shit. What is the correct arrangement anyway, screens side by side or on top of each other? And if on top, which one stays above, map or action?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Also special mention to Magma Axis, which is a spell that costs health and scales like a physical skill (meaning it increases damage with level indefinitely rather than capping out around level 50ish). It's otherwise a spell that relies on magic stat and doesn't use focus/pierce, but w/ fire boost it's the main way to still do serious damage as a caster.

Also gonna mention that it's not worth making a MAG end game character for Magma Axis. I tried it and it was just poor performance all around.

Gentle Player

Arcane
By the way, both Daisojou and Biker are 50 level. Will they continue being useful until endgame if I keep investing mitama on them to raise their stats? Or should I prepare my heart to drop them eventually?

Also, why I can't fuse the other Fiends I've killed? White/Black/Red/Pale Riders, I kicked their asses but none show up for me to fuse.

Hell biker isn't very good but Daisojou is excellent and viable end game. You will probably want to fuse a new higher level one through sacrifice.

Riders can only be fused at New Moon. They're some of the best demons in the game, with the exception of Pale.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think even Pale was decent just by virtue of the immunities they all share, iirc. Though it's been ages since I played, I mostly remember Daisouju being cheese and Freikugel + Dark/Bright Might breaking the game in half.

Alright, PSA for Nocturne on PCSX2 since there's several separate useful tweaks and nowhere I could find listed them all. Use these settings:

1. Create E8FCF8EC.pnach in /cheats_ws with this text:

Code:
gametitle=Shin Megami Tensei - Nocturne (SLUS-20911) (CRC-E8FCF8EC)
comment=Widescreen Hack.
patch=1,EE,202F59B4,word,3FC6C6E7

// NOP out old interlaced field switch
patch=1,EE,002AA1B4,word,00000000

// Another field switch here that needs to be NOP'd to prevent
// post processing effects from getting misaligned when entering
// and leaving menus.
patch=1,EE,002ADBE0,word,00000000

// Patch sceGsResetGraph arguments to set 480p
patch=1,EE,002C81D4,word,24110000 // addiu $s1, 0, 0x00
patch=1,EE,002C81D8,word,24120050 // addiu $s2, 0, 0x50
patch=1,EE,002C81DC,word,24020001 // addiu $s3, 0, 0x01

//Optional shadow alpha hack
//comment=Shadow Override (Krisan Thyme)
patch=1,EE,202FBD80,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBD84,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBD88,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBD8C,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBD90,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBD94,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBD98,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBD9C,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDA0,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDA4,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDA8,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDAC,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDB0,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDB4,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDB8,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDBC,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDC0,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDC4,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDC8,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDCC,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDD0,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDD4,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDD8,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDDC,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDE0,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDE4,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDE8,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDEC,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDF0,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDF4,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDF8,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202FBDFC,extended,00000000

Which adjusts to 16:9 ratio, removes interlacing and fixes rendering on directx (opengl doesn't need the shadow hack to remove certain effects but is slow as fuck on my system, so do as you please).
2. Set CRC hack to "aggressive" in GSDX. Removes the really ugly built-in blur effect.
3. (optional) adjust custom resolution appropriately. The remove interlacing hack will halve vertical resolution when used with native or x2/x3/etc, which isn't technically a problem but means you're spending tons of CPU/GPU cycles to render at an insanely high horizontal resolution and normal vertical resolution vs. a proper 1x/1.5x/2x your display resolution.

Almost level 60 and only now learned how to use elemental and mitamas. My team is Hell Biker (with Attack All, Might and Bright Might), Daisojou (also Bright Might) and one normal demon dependent on area and boss. These two make my team so ridiculously powerful that Im starting to one shot bosses with no need to go back to a reload/state to adjust strategies or something.

If you haven't noticed, demons require something like 5x as much XP per level as you do, so they'll fall behind. The amount of Mitama you can throw on them is capped at +100% natural stats, and even if you hit 40 in all you'll still lose out on a bunch of HP/MP/Damage that levels contributes + you'll unlock stronger skills you'd want to backport to them anyway. Though you can last a long time with lower levels if you're cheesing bright might for bosses.

What you can do is refuse them with a sacrifice. Sacrifices add 150% of whatever XP the sacrificee has gained above their starting level. So a Pixie that has gained 1000 XP would give 1500 XP as a sacrifice. Then you can immediately sacrifice that new demon to give 2,250 XP to the next, then 3,375 XP and so on. This is one of the reasons I love watchful so much on a few demons that carry universally useful utility skills like buffs, debuffs, dark/bright might, resistances, etc, great sacrifice bait. The only limit is that you can't fuse demons with a level above your MC's, but it's entirely possible to fuse a pixie or anything else up to an endgame-viable demon. Though you're somewhat stuck with the 2 or 3 crap built-in skills and generally worse resistances that lower level demons have.

Fiends can only be fused during a certain quarter of Kagatsushi and it differs which needs which (unfortunately this means some you can't sacrifice for). Also each fusion of them requires a Deathstone which can be found in Amala.

Also gonna mention that it's not worth making a MAG end game character for Magma Axis. I tried it and it was just poor performance all around.

If you aren't doing TDE route magic is generally pretty fine. Only the TDE final boss essentially requires pierce, and without it physical doesn't nearly dominate late game random encounters the same way since way more late game groups will void or worse if you AoE. That said you certainly don't want only Magma Axis, you need fire boost with it and you want some other elements to hit other weaknesses for random encounters.

FWIW my late game save (maxed stats, level 92) has Deathbound doing around 1k damage per hit w/ focus while Magma Axis does about 750. Deathbound requires two actions but hits roughly twice (more for group fights), and can crit. Magma Axis can hit weaknesses for a cost of only .5 turns and higher damage while focused Deathbound at best still costs 1.5 turns. Doesn't seem too unbalanced to me. For comparison Wind Cutter seems to hit around 550 and Tornado 350ish per hit while boosted, so that's pretty trash unless hitting weaknesses.

Edit: Freikugel is a more straight comparison than Deathbound, it does around 550 damage without a crit or focus. Of course it crits a lot, but it's comparable to hitting a weakness with Wind Cutter. Just the unfortunate problem of Freikugel critting on bosses while magic can't hit weaknesses, shame there's no focus ability for magic in Nocturne.

This combat system would rock in a more open environment with a strategic layer on top ala Xcom.

Is this what Strange Journey is?

No, not at all. SJ is a dungeon crawler similar to nocturne but with a more slimmed down combat system. Devil Survivor has a strategic layer but only in the sense of Final Fantasy Tactics, not X-Com, and it has an even more slimmed down combat system.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Thanks bros, awesome info and help. I will try to keep my Hell Biker for the while, and maybe get some Fire or Force Boost to synergize it's innate attacks.

Chiaki lost me in the last meet and now I'm considering the "TDE". Is there some bullshitty puzzle or requirement for it that I should know? Is this like those secret endings in old videogames where you must do some crazy unthinkable shit to unlock?

Average Manatee , I'm running PCSX2 really fine in OpenGL with the Chronicles (Raidou) edition and latest build (1.5) and in 5x resolution. The only thing that bothers me a bit is a very subtle blur/ghosting (but it got less bothersome in my TV). The only think I would really like is a widescreen option.

Average Manatee , I'm running PCSX2 really fine in OpenGL with the Chronicles (Raidou) edition and latest build (1.5) and in 5x resolution. The only thing that bothers me a bit is a very subtle blur/ghosting (but it got less bothersome in my TV). The only think I would really like is a widescreen option.

If you're running fine in OpenGL then just remove all of the lines below the line that says "optional shadow hack". I'm guessing you have an Nvidia card? AMD is probably to blame for why I'm stuck at 50 FPS or lower in most areas with OpenGL.

EDIT: NVM, it might not work for the chronicles edition. You can change the filename to whatever the console says your disk registers as though and see if the codes still work.

Chiaki lost me in the last meet and now I'm considering the "TDE". Is there some bullshitty puzzle or requirement for it that I should know? Is this like those secret endings in old videogames where you must do some crazy unthinkable shit to unlock?

Just requires finishing Amala before entering the final dungeon.

Nocturne fucking kicks ass, easily best SMT game
man's greatest glimpse of fire red

Silva

Arcane
I've killed Metraton (with only me and Raidou alive), talked to the old fella, and appeared at a hospital and.... the game froze.

It seems this copy of the game is glitched and TDE is impossible to achieve. Well, time to see one of my three fellas again. the three humans.

Silva

Arcane
Finished it. Got the Freedom ending. This game has so many inconsistencies across the board I can understand why it's so divisive. With exception of aesthetics which is frankly among the best I've seen, every other aspect has (big) highs and (deep) lows. Combat is amazing when it's singing, but is relatively easy to cheese, random skill inheriting wastes player time, and encounter rate so high it becomes irritating fast (and Estoma isn't enough of a solution). Story is conveyed in a subdued, Dark Souls-like way that's interesting and meshes with the overall experience of solitude and alieness the game conveys, but it's has glaring flaws, like trying too hard to give the Reasons relevancy but ultimately failing, and feeling overall kinda "whatever". The writing has some highs in the way your friends' and demons' personalities are presented at first but eventually goes downhill too ("Oh girl, I can't resist that ass" from a medieval jap demon in mid a Buddhapocalyptic landscape, really?). The most silly is the Fiends entrance speeches, though. I feel embarassed for the writers. Same for the overall gameplay: while very atmospheric, the Tokyo/Vortex map is innocuous exploration-wise and only serves to lead you to the next point in the (very linear) plot, and ends up completely skippable anyway when you unlock enough terminals. Overall, it's the most lazy aspect of the game and seems like coming straight from those early 90s generic JRPGs (or some house-made RPGMaker project). Also, having to watch that spinning cylinder animation everytime I had to save must have cut my life span 10 years sooner. Same for that action sequence tunnel on the Amala labirinth (who thought that would be fun should be killed). Dungeons are very hit or miss. They're very good when short and to the point (Kabukicho Prison being a great example here) but HORRENDOUS when long (like Subway Caverns and Amala Labyrinth). I dread at the idea of playing this in a proper consoler with no state-save/loading nor framerate burst.

Overall, I loved it and would gladly play it again after some rest, but it really feels like this experimental project, almost a proof of concept mixing old (and frankly bad) ideas with radically new ones. 9/10 EXCELLENT for me. But I can totally understand someone that rates it 3/10 PIECE OF SHIT or something. It's a miracle that it came out in 2004 (?) right in the age of the decline's appex where companies were totally afraid of risking and aping Modern Warfare was the norm. I see this Kaneko guy was the Art Director. Kudos for him. Guy is a monster.

BTW, don't know if this ended up inspiring Miyazaki with the Souls series but I can totally see the similarities.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Something very cool this game did: subvert genre tropes. Really, instead of your typical JRPG motto "super friends saving the day through the power of love", here you have the world already dead 10 minutes into it and your friends fighting out to see who will define the new world, and you may help each of them or kick all their asses and let the world in ruins (and a secret finale where you join the villain to kick everybody AND GOD's ALMIGHTY ASS). Also, the protagonist is an ugly and uninteresting boy with no cool haircuts nor fashion. And his "princess" is more of whore that's used by everybody. No romatic love here. Loved it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom