Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I also like that for a game that is supposed to be combat- focus, Solasta throw way less trash mobs at you compared to Pathfinder games, at least from what I play so far.
Yet it's still too much, mostly because the vast majority of the trash fights in Solasta are virtually the same.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Artyoan Is the dragon in the sewers (that thing royally screwed me up btw) a nod to the myth of pet crocodiles roaming the tunnels below us?
Yes. It is one of two monsters down there that no one would want to believe is living right beneath them. The dragon encounter is kind of odd, easily my most logically incoherent mix of enemies in one encounter. The dragon is intended to be the master of everything around it but I don't think I explicitly state that even in the dragon's tooltip. The sewer area is largely pure side stuff that can help get some advantage on the leveling curve or at least have some alternate fights if the main path is too much. Some stuff down there is harder than others.

Aside from that, when you find an area called the Legion's Respite, that area is intended to be a late game challenge with one associated side quest.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
you need the DLCs to play artyoan's modules? i will wait till they are cheap enough bundled
The current published campaigns don't require palace of ice but do require lost valley and inner strength. The next one will require PoI. There is a full Lightbringer edition for Solasta but I'm not sure what it goes on sale for. Christmas sale ought to be decent I would think. No rush.

It's on sale now, gays, go grab it.

Is 36 eurofag bucks for the everything edition an historical low?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, what do you guys prefer for a game like this, Steam or GOG? Is Workshop worth it over having to go to Nexus for modules etc.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, what do you guys prefer for a game like this, Steam or GOG? Is Workshop worth it over having to go to Nexus for modules etc.
I think most of what's available on workshop is on the nexus too. As far as custom campaigns go, there's an in-game downloader for it too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If price is the same, GOG is almost always better. Most mods are going to be on the Nexus.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Seeing as I'm in the mood for some D&D and not in the mood for BG3, I've decided to ...acquire everything Solasta has to offer and try out some stuff. What is the most brutal yet fair difficulty? I'm willing to do iron man too.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Artyoan - I've probably killed Dax while exploring forest/keep map, it happened before approaching Zaid - that questgiver. Now I am fucked and quest cannot be completed - how much XP should be granted for the 6 man version of the mod for fulfilling the bounty?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Seeing as I'm in the mood for some D&D and not in the mood for BG3, I've decided to ...acquire everything Solasta has to offer and try out some stuff. What is the most brutal yet fair difficulty? I'm willing to do iron man too.

Even Cataclysm will be very, very easy if you're experienced with D&D.

Lacrymas

Arcane

So Cataclysm + iron man mode? And I'm not min-maxing too much.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

So Cataclysm + iron man mode? And I'm not min-maxing too much.

Game is not made for Ironman.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Artyoan - I've probably killed Dax while exploring forest/keep map, it happened before approaching Zaid - that questgiver. Now I am fucked and quest cannot be completed - how much XP should be granted for the 6 man version of the mod for fulfilling the bounty?
He won't actually spawn until you've talked with Zaid first. For where he is, Dax is
below that abandoned keep, down in the basement area. He is behind a locked door in which the key is also in that same area.

vazha

Arcane
Gentlemen, I am playing Arty s Forsaken Isle mod and enjoying it a lot, way better than the base game.

I do however need some prestigious advice:
1. Cantrips - how do they work? I took a feat on my cleric and got me an eldritch blast because sacred flame kept missing. However, when I fire it off, it shows just the roll and then + 0 to hit - I have 9 and 10 in dex and cha respectively, but I was told it should use my primary spellcasting attribute instead (wisdom in this case). So whats going on?

2. I am playing with community expansion which has some new feats in. Question is, are, for example, power attack, cleaving attack, great weapon mastery etc mutually exclusive or can I stack up attack maluses for big damage?

3. Improved critical feat - does it take into account champions lowered critical? If I take the feat then on later level I will crit on 17 instead of 18?

4. Build advice - I want some fighter / barb hybrid to combine the best of both worlds. How do I go about it, whats the progression like? Similarly, interested in sorlock builds.

5. Rogue with deadeye or Ranger with deadeye for hueg ranged damage?

6. Some good feat advice for cleric and wizards would also be appreciated.

Playing on cataclysm, just cleared the sewers :smug:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Gentlemen, I am playing Arty s Forsaken Isle mod and enjoying it a lot, way better than the base game.

I do however need some prestigious advice:
1. Cantrips - how do they work? I took a feat on my cleric and got me an eldritch blast because sacred flame kept missing. However, when I fire it off, it shows just the roll and then + 0 to hit - I have 9 and 10 in dex and cha respectively, but I was told it should use my primary spellcasting attribute instead (wisdom in this case). So whats going on?

2. I am playing with community expansion which has some new feats in. Question is, are, for example, power attack, cleaving attack, great weapon mastery etc mutually exclusive or can I stack up attack maluses for big damage?

3. Improved critical feat - does it take into account champions lowered critical? If I take the feat then on later level I will crit on 17 instead of 18?

4. Build advice - I want some fighter / barb hybrid to combine the best of both worlds. How do I go about it, whats the progression like? Similarly, interested in sorlock builds.

5. Rogue with deadeye or Ranger with deadeye for hueg ranged damage?

6. Some good feat advice for cleric and wizards would also be appreciated.

Playing on cataclysm, just cleared the sewers :smug:

1. Sacred Flame requires no attack roll, but has Dex save for no damage. Edlritch Blast is a ranged attack.
If your caster's Dex suck, you'll miss more often then not.
Sacred Flame imo is the better option unless you build your caster around ranged attacks from ground up, otherwise just pick up a crossbow with any kind of bolts you want.

2. You should be able to stack those feats at least in RAW.

3. No idea, normally 5E is pretty stingy with crits, but who knonw. There's one good way to find out, as Unifinished Business mod allows respec on long rest.

4. My build advice for Solasta - play pure classes. It's not 3E or Pathfinder. But Yosharian or Desiderius might have different opinion.

5. Play 6-char version and take both.

6. Might of the Iron Legion for (war domain) cleric to become a god. For the wizards I really liked the insta-identification feat, in fact I'd say it's the best - bestest!1 - in the whole game.

vazha

Arcane
1. Right. I need a viable non ranged attack cantrip then that doesnt target dex. Is there such a thing? Gotta respec the cleric it seems. Is war domain strictly better than life?

2. Melee demigods incoming then

3. With this feat you d crit on 18 already on lvl 4 champion, which if you then combine with other effects on crit feats should be rad.

4. I did play pure classes in original campaign and it was a cakewalk. Here though my fighter seems far inferior to the barbarian both offense and defense-wise, so I was thinking about a dip. If I go, say barb 5 and then fighter 5, will I end up having three attacks or the barb and fighter extra attacks are mutually exclusive? If thats the case then maybe 1 lvl dip is the way to go for rage resistance, as I plan to build a two hander anyway?

5. Playing 6 man version. Got orc barb and a champ, a dracosorc, a gnome wizard, dorf cleric and elf rogue. Which one would you replace with a ranger?

6. Will check out the iron legion thingie, think I moght have missed that in the original as well. With how rare the identifiable items have been so far (also can cast it as a ritual), I think metamagic would make more sense for a wizard?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I’m learning 5E as I go. It’s why I’ve only gotten to fifth level so far in BG3. One thing there is that you’ve usually got better things to do than cantrips.

vazha

Arcane
In original campaign, yes. In Artys scenario, esp on cataclysm, you do those "better things" during the first 5-6 turns and after that, reliably chipping at the enemy with bonus action cantrips (esp considering they scale with spell progression) might mean the difference between victory and defeat. Its that good (the scenario, i mean). Maneuvering is also huge.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
1. Right. I need a viable non ranged attack cantrip then that doesnt target dex. Is there such a thing? Gotta respec the cleric it seems. Is war domain strictly better than life?

3. With this feat you d crit on 18 already on lvl 4 champion, which if you then combine with other effects on crit feats should be rad.

4. I did play pure classes in original campaign and it was a cakewalk. Here though my fighter seems far inferior to the barbarian both offense and defense-wise, so I was thinking about a dip. If I go, say barb 5 and then fighter 5, will I end up having three attacks or the barb and fighter extra attacks are mutually exclusive? If thats the case then maybe 1 lvl dip is the way to go for rage resistance, as I plan to build a two hander anyway?

5. Playing 6 man version. Got orc barb and a champ, a dracosorc, a gnome wizard, dorf cleric and elf rogue. Which one would you replace with a ranger?

6. Will check out the iron legion thingie, think I moght have missed that in the original as well. With how rare the identifiable items have been so far (also can cast it as a ritual), I think metamagic would make more sense for a wizard?

Champion is probably the most boring of the fighter types, so I'd replace him with just about anyone else, but it's just personal preference.

I prefer war domain over any other, coz it allows your cleric to cast while holding shield.
And with Iron Legion you can also equip heavy armor turning the cleric into a supreme untouchable tank.

As for the wizard feat it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, - by the end of my playthrough identification turned into a fucking chore.

vazha

Arcane

Champion is probably the most boring of the fighter types, so I'd replace him with just about anyone else, but it's just personal preference.

I prefer war domain over any other, coz it allows your cleric to cast while holding shield.
And with Iron Legion you can also equip heavy armor turning the cleric into a supreme untouchable tank.

As for the wizard feat it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, - by the end of my playthrough identification turned into a fucking chore.
I dont know what I did with my unfinished business mod settings but all my casters seem perfectly able to cast spells even with weapon and shield, and to be honest I am not complaining, that was one rule I didnt really care about in the original. So thats a non issue, same goes for the war caster feat. If I am not mistaken, there is another domain that gives hravy armor and a background that gives martial weapons so thats covered. I need a feat that would make my cleric a better spellcaster essentially.

Re: champion - what can I say, I am a sucker for criticool bonkery

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom