Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"However, magic gear is very scarce in Solasta"

You kiddin' right? The game is ph@t lewt center. It has stores that sell multiple strength boosting items including one up to 25. Why lie? Do you even play pnp? If you play pnp, no way you should be getting even a 1/4 of the loot you get in the game. I don't hate on it because Solasta is computer game and shouldn't be held to the same standards as pnp but 'magic gear is very scarce' is pure bullshit.

3F3C4BA6E0129946E1AD9E3394EAB0818DA2C770

Larianshill

Arbiter
Some say that his hair is made of plastic, and his beard - of jotun excrements. All we know is he's called the Stig.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

You kiddin' right? The game is ph@t lewt center. It has stores that sell multiple strength boosting items including one up to 25. Why lie? Do you even play pnp? If you play pnp, no way you should be getting even a 1/4 of the loot you get in the game. I don't hate on it because Solasta is computer game and shouldn't be held to the same standards as pnp but 'magic gear is very scarce' is pure bullshit.
Compared to any other D&D videogame in existence, magic gear IS very scarce in Solasta.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I like the attunement system, in principle, it gives another strategic dimension to character building. However, magic gear is very scarce in Solasta - which I also like a lot in principle, but it does make attunement largely a non-issue.
What? You're practically drowning in magical gear in Solasta, at least in the late game.
I mean properly magical gear - the kind that actually requires attunement - not just +x items or weapons dealing elemental damage.
Also, if that is "practically drowning", how would you describe DOS games?
By the end of the game, you should have far more magic items requiring attunement than the 12 slots available from your 4 party members, even if you never purchase any magic items requiring attunement. Granted, the game is slow to dole out these sorts of magic items in the early stages, so attunement might seem not to be an issue until the rate of acquisition ramps up. It's quite a ludicrous restriction, that the same character can't make use of good magic items in every possible equipment slot because most of the better magic items require attunement and this artificial limitation of 3 attunements per character is in effect.

Contrary to the spirit of D&D. :rpgcodex:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Granted, the game is slow to dole out these sorts of magic items in the early stages, so attunement might seem not to be an issue until the rate of acquisition ramps up. It's quite a ludicrous restriction, that the same character can't make use of good magic items in every possible equipment slot because most of the better magic items require attunement and this artificial limitation of 3 attunements per character is in effect.
I remember the first time I had to end the attunement with an item because I wanted to equip something else: it was at the very end of the lava forest, and I think I was just about to reach level 10.

You find very few magic items in this game compared to any other D&D adaptation (or RPG in general), and I can't understand how anyone can say otherwise. You get like less than 10 magic weapons and a couple (each) of shields, armors, rings, cloaks, amulets, and boots. Without relying on crafting or buying stuff from a merchant, you can probably finish the game without ever seeing a magic two-handed sword. I mean, you probably loot more magic equipment in Durlag's Tower alone than in the entirety of Solasta (sure, that's an exaggeration, but if you extend it to the entire Tales of the Sword Coast it's probably true).

Granted, the game is slow to dole out these sorts of magic items in the early stages, so attunement might seem not to be an issue until the rate of acquisition ramps up. It's quite a ludicrous restriction, that the same character can't make use of good magic items in every possible equipment slot because most of the better magic items require attunement and this artificial limitation of 3 attunements per character is in effect.
I remember the first time I had to end the attunement with an item because I wanted to equip something else: it was at the very end of the lava forest, and I think I was just about to reach level 10.

You find very few magic items in this game compared to any other D&D adaptation (or RPG in general), and I can't understand how anyone can say otherwise. You get like less than 10 magic weapons and a couple (each) of shields, armors, rings, cloaks, amulets, and boots. Without relying on crafting or buying stuff from a merchant, you can probably finish the game without ever seeing a magic two-handed sword. I mean, you probably loot more magic equipment in Durlag's Tower alone than in the entirety of Solasta (sure, that's an exaggeration, but if you extend it to the entire Tales of the Sword Coast it's probably true).

Level 6, just defeated Goblins at monastery entrance. The only magical equipment I found so far is a lame ring granting a single vampiric touch per day. If this was a BG I would dump the thing to the nearest merchant.

I have more rings than i cam attune.
That's probably because they give you 30 fucking rings of poison resistance. Admittedly 29 of those were from a quest reward. I'm also in the "Magic items are scarce compared to other CRPGs" camp though. It's still not rare enough to be what I'd consider a low magic setting, but it's relatively low. +1 items feel like the norm nearing level 10 and anything better than that feels fairly special. Crafting sorta throws that out of whack especially if you were to buy the materials, but even without buying mats you can get a few powerful goodies out of that. It's kind of odd for me because I normally detest crafting in RPGs, but the crafting system in Solasta is pretty simple and good (Namely the material-clutter isn't too bad), but in Solasta SPECIFICALLY I kind of don't want it just because I think the game would feel better powered-down.

I think probably my favorite thing about 5e after playing Solasta is the sense that 5e tries to chop off the peaks of higher levels and build up lower levels, so your big bads aren't as comically powerful and your level 1 nobodies aren't as weak. Kind of correcting the old D&D issue of a high level character presumably able to kill hundreds/thousands of peasants/soldiers/etc without breaking a sweat barring house rules for insta-kill crits and shit. Having a fairly low-magic setting and/or making magic items scarce plays into that well since it's just another way where a high power character won't be AS ridiculously powerful and a low power character that gets his hands on a magic item feels like he gets a noticeable bump. I'm not a huge Dark Sun nerd but to my mind 5e seems like a really fucking good system to play Dark Sun in, with the possible exception of psionics (Since I don't know if there's a splatbook for that in 5e yet). Still, almost all the mechanics of 5e feel like they'd lend themselves well to Dark Sun. Gaining levels giving you noticeable bumps in power but you're still never Big Dick Adventurer that can shrug off all the threats of the world, the "Legendary action" system so you can super power your evil sorcerer kings and/or high-tier minions (Though that still feels fucking weird and gamey. For a tangential rant, actions in D&D are supposed to roughly equate to time. Even though everything's turn-based all the actions are supposed to be happening at roughly the same moment, initiative just gives someone that split second edge over someone else. Something like a haste spell giving you increased movement and extra attacks is because you're moving at supernatural magically-enhanced speeds, and legendary actions have someone moving even faster than that because "Well he's the boss" even without the specific in-lore reason of a haste spell) and so on. And having shitty chitin or bone weapons gives you an obvious upgrade into metal, let alone magical, so scaled back itemization would fit well too. 5e's fucked up skill system even works decently for Dark Sun just because of the nature of the setting, and the speed that I assume 5e plays at in tabletop (Since it does look like the bookkeeping would be really quick) would likely work for a lethal campaign and fairly easily rolling up new characters if someone gets got.

All that isn't much related to Solasta of course, but I was yammering with a buddy about Dark Sun while I was playing Solasta the other day and then the two were bubbling in my mind together and I'd think it would work. IIRC WotC actually put out a campaign book for Dark Sun for 4th edition but since I never read/played anything with 4th edition I have no idea if it would gel in the same way I think 5e would.

Harthwain

Magister
Regarding the scarcity/abundance of magical items - could this be tied to loot being randomly generated? Because this would explain the difference.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Regarding the scarcity/abundance of magical items - could this be tied to loot being randomly generated? Because this would explain the difference.
i am starting to get the feeling the people saying "no magical items" doesn't know you have to constantly use detect magic to know if something can be appraised :M

unlike weapons that usually have prefixes like "remarkable" or "magnificent" accessory doesn't have them and appear just as regular rings or brooches

604E77BA25DE7F172538C74A4EBE59631566144B

Combatfag PROOFS

i am starting to get the feeling the people saying "no magical items" doesn't know you have to constantly use detect magic to know if something can be appraised :M

unlike weapons that usually have prefixes like "remarkable" or "magnificent" accessory doesn't have them and appear just as regular rings or brooches
That's true, but unless I've been horribly misled by my experience thus far in the game they have consistent "Loot item" icons. I've zapped detect magic over my trash a fair few times without incident and I've gotten a few rings/gem of seeing/bracers of fabulousness/etc the generic amulets/rings/broaches/etc are all the same icons. So if you don't get suspicious when you see something that looks different then you've got worms.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Magic gear is always way more common in CRPGs than tabletop. I've often pointed this out in the Kingmaker thread, that you get nowhere near the amount of gear in the AP that the game throws at you.

As you say, different mediums at the end of the day. Loot can be tailored a lot more carefully by a DM on the tabletop. DM can always add or remove items based on party needs, much harder to do that intelligently in a CRPG.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Level 6, just defeated Goblins at monastery entrance. The only magical equipment I found so far is a lame ring granting a single vampiric touch per day. If this was a BG I would dump the thing to the nearest merchant.
Just checked my save from the monastery entrance, and at level 6 I already had seven magic items requiring attunement, and perhaps another two dozen or so non-consumable magic items (i.e. not potions or scrolls). Might have sold some by this point, too.

Before starting the final series of battles, I had six magic items that solely boosted attribute scores and required attunement, which were already occupying half the available slots, and that would be a majority of the slots if I included the Belt of Dwarvenkind that has several different effects. In total, I had over twice as many attunement-requiring magic items as slots, after having sold I'm not sure how many. Of course, each individual character is limited to three attunements, and I had already run into the issue of not being able to have one character use all the attunement-requiring items I wanted even before I acquired a dozen of such items. It's a ridiculous restriction that forces you to leave equipment slots vacant because the magic item you want to place in them requires an extra attunement slot that isn't available.

And, again, I didn't purchase a single magic item requiring attunement. If you boost your faction reputation with the Antiquarians, you can buy such trivial items as a Belt of Fire Giant Strength or the Cloak of Arachnida, not to mention consumable manuals/tomes that permanently increase an attribute by two points.

Elex

Arbiter
Loot is overtuned in solasta, they put in all the items that all DM know is a bad idea because add extreme power to players.
Campaign end at 10 but the items are more fitting for a 16-17 level group.

the new class of 5e the artificer is based around having more attunement slots.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
another minor ish complain: environment damage doesn't really do anything especially after you hit level 3 or 4. except for lighting. i think it can be fixed by giving status effects if you drop a stalactite on enemies, like prone, or bleeding or whatever instead of just flat damage. i don't think i have used the environment after caer cyflam sorak fights. dropping a stone on your enemy last i check deal like 12 damage on direwolf In the orc storyline. my cantrip does more than that + hindered status effect.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Regarding magic items, it's worth noting that 5e has a more old-school philosophy to magic items than 3rd and 4th edition. In those previous editions the balance math assumes that characters will have a certain amount of magic items per level, and PC stats will fall behind compared to level-appropriate monsters if you don't have enough items.

5e on the other hand is balanced around the players not having any magic items, so having any magic item at all simply makes the for a more powerful character. It's a very anti-Sawyerist approach.

Elex

Arbiter
another minor ish complain: environment damage doesn't really do anything especially after you hit level 3 or 4. except for lighting. i think it can be fixed by giving status effects if you drop a stalactite on enemies, like prone, or bleeding or whatever instead of just flat damage. i don't think i have used the environment after caer cyflam sorak fights. dropping a stone on your enemy last i check deal like 12 damage on direwolf In the orc storyline. my cantrip does more than that + hindered status effect.
Bg3 is the game where envirment is the weapon.

Mortmal

Arcane

Merchants are super nice and honest as they give you high prices for non identified items, so you know before hand if you are doing a mistake.Even if you have no way to cast detect magic they will do it for you.

Just checked my save from the monastery entrance, and at level 6 I already had seven magic items requiring attunement, and perhaps another two dozen or so non-consumable magic items (i.e. not potions or scrolls). Might have sold some by this point, too.

Maybe the loot is randomly generated?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom