Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

V_K

Arcane
Well, there is a dragon at one point......
Do you get to kill it?
I meant it as a joke but it turns out the joke doesn't quite work.
When I posted that, the only dragon I fought was imaginary and died to a single hit. Thus the joke. But then you do get to fight a proper dragon - still not a real one though. So I'm not sure you can say that you kill either since they don't really exist. But you do get to defeat them.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
One thing I noticed is that leveling seems to come at a very regular pace. Like, it takes about the same amount of hours to get from level 2 to level 3 as it takes to get from level 8 to level 9. Is this a 5e thing or a Solasta thing?
Definitely a Solasta thing. The 5E handbooks clearly state that during the first few levels you should level up very quickly (for example, level 1 and 2 should only last a single session or two), but it's easy to understand why you don't need to do that in a videogame. You don't need to wait a week or two between each session, and you don't risk getting bored by a very simple character because you have an entire party to control.

Mortmal

Arcane
So, I've studiously ignored this until release time

But this is fantastic and everything I dreamed of and nothing can disappoint me, right
Yes it will be very hard to write a codex review of it. Why? Because it's not controversial nothing polemic , hardly anything negative to say, you can nitpick about details and bugs but nothing serious . When people want a codex review they want to see roxxor having a big dump all over a game. This is really hard to do that with that game.

Brickfrog

Learned
It's been said before, but the devs were smart to keep a tight scope and not allow any feature bloat

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's because the system falls apart after lvl 10ish.

5E falls apart past lv 10. This doesn't means that other editions has the same problem.

but still basically unplayable and a nightmare to DM. There is a very good reason there are no high level pre-written modules.

The numbers are too big and I agree that it makes hard for DM's that aren't good with math.

ng .Then mechanically its not so good , past level 10 characters were quite overpowered, then you have to rethink the environments, you can fly teleport, planeshift, pass through wall, wish , the campaign get a to a bigger scope, political struggles etc..Those are ok on tabletop but doesnt fit very well in a CRPG , unless you go on a pure dungeon crawl. Balancing all that stuff requires experience too the 5E cr is botched.

This on 5E. On 1/2E magic users needs scrolls to learn spells, they don't learn spells from nothing, so if you don't wanna characters with fly, teleport, planeshift, wish, etc; you can .... NOT GIVE THIS SCROLLS. And note that everything that the PC can cast, a enemy can cast.

Strahd on 2E had access to spells like Contingency, antimagic shell, control weather, death spell, guards and wards, teleport, wall of stone, finger of death, force cage, limited wish, spell turning(...) and it was able to tear apart a lv 15 party. They used teleport to flee? Just dimension lock before battle or teleport and follow then. They tried to nuke Strahd you with minions? Death spell. They tried to bombard Strahd with spells? Spell turning. Why even engage on battle, send a clone to deal with then and to dominate one party member. And this only looking to his spells. He has a lot of other nasty abilities and if the party is dumb, he can kill everyone in one or two rounds.

I'm not sure many people would agree PF:KM has good high level combat/gameplay.

What about Knights of the Chalice 1 and Knights of the Chalice 2?

What do your character's backstory/motivation/personality matter when your party are on their way to killing their 4th god?

You don't kill Gods on high level campaigns. On 2E, at best you can kill a deity's AVATAR which has a tiny fraction of the true deity power and is like lv 50+. A demon lord or a archdevil would be the last enemy which you fight in a epic level campaign. Is the case of hotu. You don't kill all archdevils, you kill just a single one and getting his true name is a long quest. Other high level "adventures" are more about civilization building like Test of the Warlords(lv 15+) than about exploring dungeons.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes it will be very hard to write a codex review of it. Why? Because it's not controversial nothing polemic , hardly anything negative to say, you can nitpick about details and bugs but nothing serious .
Well, you could say that all the characters looking like trannies is in fact a controversial political statement.

Also, pretty racist not to include druids and barbarians, uh Myzzrym? MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I'm willing to work for free, if you need the man-hours.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Guys, how many bugs are in this version?
Also, are there difficulty levels?

Is storyline interesting?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Strahd was 16th level necromancer on Domains of Dread(2E) and there was a lot of Necromancer Dark Lords more powerful than him. Meredoth, Vecna, Tsien Chiang, all much higher level than Strahd and has a lot of nasty powers that would put him far above lv 20 heroes. Not mentioning that necromancy spells on the realms of dread are incredible stronger and riskier to the caster, but since they are already fully corrupted into Dark Lords, they don't need to worry about getting attention from the dark powers. The level and CR of most things on 5E are lower than on 3E/2E. I an not criticizing 5E, just pointing out that levels and CR are completely different.
The original adventure module I6 Ravenloft was intended for 6 to 8 PCs levels 5 to 7, with a successful party defeating Strahd, destroying him forever, and freeing Barovia. For that matter, RA2 Ship of Horrors was designed for a party of 4 to 6 PCs levels 8 to 10, and a successful ending sees the party defeating the Dark Lord 20th-level necromancer Meredoth and dissolving his domain.

17487.jpg
i6.jpg

V_K

Arcane
Nothing critical. The worst things are a couple of places where you can't interact with things you should be able to interact with. Everything else tends to resolve itself within a few seconds.
Oh, and I've encountered a very useful bug where for some reason one of my characters began crafting each item in ten copies.
This has been covered numerous times a long time ago, there's eve a devlog about it. Yes, there are difficulty levels. There's also a shitload of option allowing you to customize difficulty to your heart's desire - from AI priorities to rules interpretation.
The setting is reasonably inventive and there are a couple of nice twists, but overall it's very minimalistic and just an excuse to explore weird locations and fight a variety of monsters. In other words, just perfect.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Strahd was 16th level necromancer on Domains of Dread(2E) and there was a lot of Necromancer Dark Lords more powerful than him. Meredoth, Vecna, Tsien Chiang, all much higher level than Strahd and has a lot of nasty powers that would put him far above lv 20 heroes. Not mentioning that necromancy spells on the realms of dread are incredible stronger and riskier to the caster, but since they are already fully corrupted into Dark Lords, they don't need to worry about getting attention from the dark powers. The level and CR of most things on 5E are lower than on 3E/2E. I an not criticizing 5E, just pointing out that levels and CR are completely different.
The original adventure module I6 Ravenloft was intended for 6 to 8 PCs levels 5 to 7, with a successful party defeating Strahd, destroying him forever, and freeing Barovia. For that matter, RA2 Ship of Horrors was designed for a party of 4 to 6 PCs levels 8 to 10, and a successful ending sees the party defeating the Dark Lord 20th-level necromancer Meredoth and dissolving his domain.

17487.jpg
i6.jpg

Yep. But this guys would be a nightmare to face at lv 15+, imagine at lv 10-. Most of the ravenloft campaigns ends with the party being defeated.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
It's been said before, but the devs were smart to keep a tight scope and not allow any feature bloat

A lot of game developers (both AAA and indie) should take this wisdom into account, if the state of game releases are anything to by nowadays...

Brickfrog

Learned
Nothing critical. The worst things are a couple of places where you can't interact with things you should be able to interact with. Everything else tends to resolve itself within a few seconds.
Oh, and I've encountered a very useful bug where for some reason one of my characters began crafting each item in ten copies.
This has been covered numerous times a long time ago, there's eve a devlog about it. Yes, there are difficulty levels. There's also a shitload of option allowing you to customize difficulty to your heart's desire - from AI priorities to rules interpretation.
The setting is reasonably inventive and there are a couple of nice twists, but overall it's very minimalistic and just an excuse to explore weird locations and fight a variety of monsters. In other words, just perfect.
Are the locations interesting? (Will I get to visit other planes?)

Alpharius

Scholar
So, I've studiously ignored this until release time

But this is fantastic and everything I dreamed of and nothing can disappoint me, right
Same here.

You better be right about this Codex.

Was expecting it to be shit after watching the trailer full of trannies.

Ruchy

Scholar
Druids being my favoured class I am mildly disappointed, I understand limiting scope but these are core classes we are missing. Is there mod support?

Brickfrog

Learned
Druids being my favoured class I am mildly disappointed, I understand limiting scope but these are core classes we are missing. Is there mod support?
I believe sorcerer is going to be added post release and they will be supporting the editing tools. I'm not sure what modding will look like though. I bet that if the game sells well, we'll see some dlc announced later this year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom