Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Trek games

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Like Rusty says, there is a Top 25 Star Trek Games list for anyone reading this.

Here is what I think fans shouldn't miss. Broken down by genre:

lnutEBp.png
LulZXvZ.png
cu48lw9.png

Point-and-Click Adventure Games

The three best point-and-click adventure games (a genre that Star Trek excels at), without a shadow of doubt, are:
  • - Star Trek: 25h Anniversary
  • - Star Trek: Judgment Rites
  • - Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity
There are two more; 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger' and 'Star Trek: Hidden Evil', which are not as good.

WSErm3R.png
egrkr4Y.png
IXC3zpk.png

First-Person Shooters

Star Trek isn't known for it's wide array of shooters, but nevertheless these are pretty decent.
  • - Star Trek: Generations
  • - Star Trek: The Next Generation - Klingon Honor Guard
  • - Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force 1
'Elite Force 2' has some annoying enemies, so only play it if you really enjoyed 'Elite Force 1'.

nWXIG3a.png
s78tLFG.png
cRLz4Q4.png

Space Flight Sims

Star Trek used to have some great space-flight sims, but some of them are hard to get working, and have complex controls.
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
  • - Star Trek: Klingon Academy
  • - Star Trek: Bridge Commander
'Star Trek: Starfleet Academy' and 'Star Trek: Klingon Academy' have great full-motion videos like Dune or Wing Commander.

8g6wycK.png
JZf2ods.png
vrIbBRA.png

Strategy or Tactical Games

Birth of the Federation is one of the best 4X games ever made. Unofficial EGA Trek was also a classic.
  • - Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Command 1
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Command 2 - Empires at War
Personally I don't like the 'Star Trek: Armada 1' as much, because ships feel too disposable in an RTS.

Overall, these are the best, by chronological dates (estimated in the case of KA and KHG):
  • Year 2269 (set during TOS) - Star Trek: Judgment Rites
  • Year 2292 (set before TUC) - Star Trek: Klingon Academy
  • Year 2369 (set during TNG) - Star Trek: A Final Unity
  • Year 2370 (set during TNG) - Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard
  • Year 2376 (set during VOY) - Star Trek: Elite Force 1
  • Year ???? (alternate history) - Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
'Klingon Academy', 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' are harder to install, requiring DosBox, a fan-made installer, or patches. The others listed are available easily. 'Birth of the Federation' has a free installer at ArmadaFleetCommand.com. '25th Anniversary' and 'Judgment Rites' can be played separately, but are loose sequels, with Interplay creating their own aliens that appear in both, such as the Elasi Pirates. 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' likewise also form a loose arc, featuring MicroProse's own aliens, the Chodak Empire. Best stories are 25A, JR, SA, KA, AFU, GENS, KHG, EF1.

To play 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, you require star system names, an early form of anti-piracy copy protection:

quGJSNe.png

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary map with star system names

fyyFltL.png

Star Trek: Judgment Rites map with star system names

Many of the games listed here feature the full voice cast of each series, giving performances equal to the work they did for the show. '25th Anniversary' and 'Judgment Rites' hold a special place in the hearts of fans, because they reunited the entire TOS cast decades after the show, to present essentially a 4th season of Star Trek. 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' do likewise for TNG. The entire DS9 cast is present in 'Harbinger'. The entire VOY cast are present in 'Elite Force 1'. Many others contain cast members, most notably the full-motion-videos in 'Starfleet Academy' and 'Klingon Academy'.
Excellent!
True quality post.
Star Trek: Elite Force 2 also had Patrick Stewart, Tim Russ, Dwight Schultz(Barclay), J.G. Hertzler(Martok - DS9), Jeffrey Combs(Weyoun - DS9) and Tony Todd(Kurn - TNG). There are also other actors in the game who also played Star Trek characters on screen.

Beastro

Arcane
Like Rusty says, there is a Top 25 Star Trek Games list for anyone reading this.

lnutEBp.png
LulZXvZ.png
cu48lw9.png

The three best point-and-click adventure games (a genre that Star Trek excels at), without a shadow of doubt, are:
There are two more; 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger' and 'Star Trek: Hidden Evil', which are not as good.

WSErm3R.png
egrkr4Y.png
IXC3zpk.png

First-Person Shooters

Star Trek isn't known for it's wide array of shooters, but nevertheless these are pretty decent.
'Elite Force 2' has some annoying enemies, so only play it if you really enjoyed 'Elite Force 1'.

nWXIG3a.png
s78tLFG.png
cRLz4Q4.png

Space Flight Sims

Star Trek used to have some great space-flight sims, but some of them are hard to get working, and have complex controls.
'Star Trek: Starfleet Academy' and 'Star Trek: Klingon Academy' have great full-motion videos like Dune or Wing Commander.

8g6wycK.png
JZf2ods.png
vrIbBRA.png

Birth of the Federation is one of the best 4X games ever made. Unofficial EGA Trek was also a classic.
Personally I don't like the 'Star Trek: Armada 1' as much, because ships feel too disposable in an RTS.

Overall, these are the best, by chronological dates (estimated in the case of KA and KHG):
'Klingon Academy', 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' are harder to install, requiring DosBox, a fan-made installer, or patches. The others listed are available easily. 'Birth of the Federation' has a free installer at ArmadaFleetCommand.com. '25th Anniversary' and 'Judgment Rites' can be played separately, but are loose sequels, with Interplay creating their own aliens that appear in both, such as the Elasi Pirates. 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' likewise also form a loose arc, featuring MicroProse's own aliens, the Chodak Empire. Best stories are 25A, JR, SA, KA, AFU, GENS, KHG, EF1.

To play 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, you require star system names, an early form of anti-piracy copy protection:

quGJSNe.png

fyyFltL.png

Many of the games listed here feature the full voice cast of each series, giving performances equal to the work they did for the show. '25th Anniversary' and 'Judgment Rites' hold a special place in the hearts of fans, because they reunited the entire TOS cast decades after the show, to present essentially a 4th season of Star Trek. 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' do likewise for TNG. The entire DS9 cast is present in 'Harbinger'. The entire VOY cast are present in 'Elite Force 1'. Many others contain cast members, most notably the full-motion-videos in 'Starfleet Academy' and 'Klingon Academy'.
BotF, just patch it to fix the memory leak issues, play with Ultimate Dominion installed so the Ferengi are replaced with the Dominion and you're GTG.

hayst

Educated
FTL with a janky Trek reskin or just play vanilla and squint your eyes.

Palomides

Augur
What makes Bridge Commander awesome? I have to admit, I don't really get its gameplay loop, but clearly you're a big fan. :)
Heh. Just an old case of fanboyism, I guess.
It is highly moddable. The Kobayashi Maru and Deep Space 9 FX mods really improve the game's quality and lifespan, so to speak. The game also has a "Quick Battle" scenario. You pick your ship and choose other allied and enemy ships, ranging from Star Trek: The Original Series era ships, and all the way up to the TNG, Deep Space 9 and Voyager era.
What about Bridge Commander: Remastered?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What makes Bridge Commander awesome? I have to admit, I don't really get its gameplay loop, but clearly you're a big fan. :)
Heh. Just an old case of fanboyism, I guess.
It is highly moddable. The Kobayashi Maru and Deep Space 9 FX mods really improve the game's quality and lifespan, so to speak. The game also has a "Quick Battle" scenario. You pick your ship and choose other allied and enemy ships, ranging from Star Trek: The Original Series era ships, and all the way up to the TNG, Deep Space 9 and Voyager era.
What about Bridge Commander: Remastered?
Haven't played it.
I heard some good things about it though. I only play the original with Kobayashi Maru, Deep Space Nine Fx and "Ship Menu Creator", a plugin which allows you to add custom ships and modify them as you see fit.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of those on gog, Star Trek™: Voyager - Elite Force is the only one I played. I remember vaguely liking it .. but basically remember nothing about it. You shoot a lot of Borg with a phaser?

Beastro

Arcane
I started playing Star Trek: Supremacy. Its actually not too bad. But modded BOTF is more enjoyable, and also losing the Ferengi faction is a huge issue for me because its so much fun. But if you're having issues with running BOTF this is a really great alternative. Also playable borg is awesome.
https://bitbucket.org/DiogoGomes/supremacy/downloads/
sts_systems.jpg
What are the differences with it?

and also losing the Ferengi faction is a huge issue for me because its so much fun
... they're the worst thing about BotF both because of how OP their revenue is (and everything is about money in BotF; nothing matters if you can just gobble up minors and build order everything with all the money you make, it's why the cash poor factions like the Klingons are so interesting) and because they're the damn Ferengi.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I started playing Star Trek: Supremacy. Its actually not too bad. But modded BOTF is more enjoyable, and also losing the Ferengi faction is a huge issue for me because its so much fun. But if you're having issues with running BOTF this is a really great alternative. Also playable borg is awesome.
sts_systems.jpg
How are the Borg in the game? I would imagine they wreck pretty much everything and everyone...

Beastro

Arcane
sts_systems.jpg
How are the Borg in the game? I would imagine they wreck pretty much everything and everyone...
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3489

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
sts_systems.jpg
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3489
I see.
So you cannot technically fully play as the Borg.
I am playing Star Trek: Bridge Commander with Kobayashi Maru and DS9 FX mods installed. Really great Star Trek game.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
DS9 The Fallen is to my mind the best Star Trek game ever made, but I say that not having ever played the first few entries in that list, so I can't be certain of that. Otherwise the Elite Force games were good.

But tbh, I actually think the MMO Star Trek Online is pretty good for a run through. It has absolute tons of content. The main storyline arcs are quite well done, have a good blend of plot twists, problem solving and combat, both ground and space. The space combat in the game is partly modeled on the ship to ship combat of Pirates of the Burning Sea, and it's quite enjoyable on a light-hearted level - though some don't like the fact that you are effectively the spaceship avatar. However, if you use your imagination - and especially if you "get to know" your crew by doing ground missions with them, so that their personalities are sort of present in your mind when you're doing space combat, it's not that far off from having a bridge crew (your bridge crew has the special abilities).

It's not the sort of MMO you stick around in forever, because things get horrifically OP by the endgame and it's all about dem loot boxes (which have all sorts of fanciful and obscure OP ships). But just as a Star Trek virtual world to get fully immersed in for a couple of months, and to grind endgame content to the point where you get at least one fully maxed-out canon ship that you like, it's the best option out there.

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bridge Commander is a bit too easy and railroaded, but it is a fun game game that I enjoyed very much. There's just something cozy about commanding the ship from the bridge and the game's general atmosphere. You will switch to the external view with direct controls for combat though, commanding the ship in battles via indirect commands is not feasible except for trivial engagements. The battles are quite fun and complex with the shield management, subsystem targeting, maneuvering and use of tractor beam, especially when engaging multiple targets at once.

All in all, neat little game.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bridge Commander is a bit too easy and railroaded, but it is a fun game game that I enjoyed very much. There's just something cozy about commanding the ship from the bridge and the game's general atmosphere. You will switch to the external view with direct controls for combat though, commanding the ship in battles via indirect commands is not feasible except for trivial engagements. The battles are quite fun and complex with the shield management, subsystem targeting, maneuvering and use of tractor beam, especially when engaging multiple targets at once.

All in all, neat little game.
Indeed. Letting Lt. Savali do the fighting is not really a good idea, especially since you will be fighting Cardassian and Kessok ships. Going into external mode and directly commanding the ship is way more efficient.
Each part of a ship has its shields ( Front, Top, Bottom, Aft, Port, Starboard) which can vary in strength.
A really awesome game, for sure. The Kobayashi Maru mod also breathes new life into the game, adding more ships and star systems, even better graphics and particle effects. Having an entire fleet of Starfleet ships go against a Borg Cube is a lot of fun. You can even command Defiant, Jem'hadar and Breen ships, for a true Deep Space Nine experience.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Someone archived the final build of Stage 9.

It even has the Kurlan naiskos. Oh, what could have been.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
DS9 The Fallen is to my mind the best Star Trek game ever made, but I say that not having ever played the first few entries in that list, so I can't be certain of that. Otherwise the Elite Force games were good.
Agreed. I enjoyed DSN The Fallen as well.
I find it a bit difficult to compare it to the Elite Force games as the gameplay and the campaigns were so different from each other.
I think the Fallen had more adventure like elements in it.

I found the storylines of STO a mixed lot and that has to do because many of them felt so much like a fan fiction story like the ones I used to read on the TrekBBS and other places that hosted amateur Trek stories.
This drive to connect events and various species together, which results in 'small universe syndrome', and the return of the Iconians/Ancients Powerful Aliens which is a rather tired trope even when STO did it.
What I hated the most was when the Abrams movies and Star Trek Discovery and Picard elements started to be introduced into it.
Detesting everything Abrams and Kurtzman, that is why I will not play the game again.

Norfleet

You shouldn't play it again. It's a shitty dumpster fire of a dead game that's absolutely awful for anyone new or long-absent to return to.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
been waiting nearly a decade for Klingon Academy or Starfleet Command 2 to come to GOG. getting Klingon Academy to run on modern operating systems and hardware is trivial now, since some czech dude made a patch for that - the only barrier that remains for GOG is the legal one

NwNgger

Educated

lnutEBp.png
LulZXvZ.png
cu48lw9.png

WSErm3R.png
egrkr4Y.png
IXC3zpk.png

First-Person Shooters

nWXIG3a.png
s78tLFG.png
cRLz4Q4.png

Space Flight Sims

8g6wycK.png
JZf2ods.png
vrIbBRA.png

quGJSNe.png

fyyFltL.png

Excellent!
True quality post.
Star Trek: Elite Force 2 also had Patrick Stewart, Tim Russ, Dwight Schultz(Barclay), J.G. Hertzler(Martok - DS9), Jeffrey Combs(Weyoun - DS9) and Tony Todd(Kurn - TNG). There are also other actors in the game who also played Star Trek characters on screen.
I don't know what deal with the devil Activision did to get Patrick Stewart in nearly every single one of their Star Trek games. I know he's quite expensive to hire. And Activision just have him do tutorials and hang around in Bridge Commander, Armada 1 and 2, and EF2.

Did Bobby Kotick have Patrick Stewart's dick pics or what?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know what deal with the devil Activision did to get Patrick Stewart in nearly every single one of their Star Trek games. I know he's quite expensive to hire. And Activision just have him do tutorials and hang around in Bridge Commander, Armada 1 and 2, and EF2.

Did Bobby Kotick have Patrick Stewart's dick pics or what?

Would it possibly have been part of the licensing arrangement with Paramount for the IP in the first place? Like, at least back in the day, I can't imagine Trek would've been an inexpensive license to make a deal for.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer

Someone archived the final build of Stage 9.

It even has the Kurlan naiskos. Oh, what could have been.

I absolutely hate the fact that people like this don't get to make official star trek games because CBS/Paramount are stupid and would rather give the IP to the likes of Bethesda, Paradox and some third rate Bioware wannabe.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I absolutely hate the fact that people like this don't get to make official star trek games because CBS/Paramount are stupid and would rather give the IP to the likes of Bethesda, Paradox and some third rate Bioware wannabe.
Outside Resurgence which I have my criticisms on, both regarding gameplay and content, we have not had a decent single player Star Trek game in ages. To me it shows the failure of the new series as no one wants to make a game based on any of these, only the old ones. And even the crap from the new series needs to be smuggled into it like with Resurgence.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It is probably better they don't make proper Star Trek games anymore.
Do you want the dumb JJ Abrams Trek 'Verse games fortified with Lens Flare, or OG Kirk/Picard/Sisko/Archer Star Trek games?

Herumor

Scholar
Anyone here play Star Trek total conversion mods for other games, like Sins of a Solar Empire or Stellaris? I only remember playing Sacrifice of the Angels back in the day, but I'm now looking to check out more of these.

I see there's Star Trek Armada 3, Ages of the Federation and Sacrifice of the Angels 2 for Sins of a Solar Empire and Stellaris has New Horizons and New Civilizations.

Has anyone here played any of the above mods and would care to share their opinions on them? I'm gonna download them all now anyway and check them, just wondering if there's something I might be better off skipping entirely before I get to playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom