Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by vortex, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    You missed my point. Dark Souls would be a very boring game if it had no classes, stats, spells, and tons of different weapons and armor. Acquiring better gear is such a basic design element that I'm surprised they skipped it completely. They didn't even have to think hard as games like Jedi Academy and KOTOR did all the thinking for them. Why even have an option to customize the lightsaber (different emitter, sleeve, switch, material) if all you can do is change the color and looks? Why have the hard to reach chests if all they give you is different textures for the ship, droid, and the stupid poncho?

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Loads of Metroid-ish games haven't had loot in the traditional sense, only ability upgrades, same as this. You want it to be something other than a console action game, but it's not trying to be anything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    I don’t really disagree (there is a double bladed lightsaber), but this kind of system worked fine for Sekiro. Admittedly, Sekiro has a much bigger skill tree and you can also find a dozen different backup weapons. Still, you’re using the same sword and armor all game. It’s much closer to Fallen Order on the loot spectrum than Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

For me the fun of the Soulsborne games was always in getting my ass handed to me, then playing enough to get in the groove where I know what I’m doing. The problem with Fallen Order is that it doesn’t really offer that experience. To the extent it comes close, the boring traversal stuff breaks up the flow of repeatedly beating your head against the wall.

Edit: I guess this is why I don’t normally buy cinematic action adventure games.

^ Top  
  4. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    The AI is pretty retarded in this game - just run far enough away and enemies will turn and slowly start walking back to their starting point allowing for free backstabs/force pushes off ledges. Also managed to kill a big monster by hiding under a ledge and darting out to hit it once about 20 times before rolling back in again to safety while it swings wildly at my shadow.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Just finished this. Either I missed something or there's a massive difficulty spike on the final boss. I played the entire game on hard and barely ever died. The boss before I beat on the second try without much trouble. However the final boss I never even got under half health on hard. Tried like 10 times and said fuck it and put the game on story mode to get it over with. Not my genre enough to go past the point of aggravation. Also the game is way too fucking long IMO, but again that might be because it's not my genre. I'm sure there's people 100%'ing it and loving it.

Anyway... it's worth playing for Star Wars fans. The story is only okay, but the Star Wars atmosphere is really good. The best character comes in late, which is lame. There's no real "SJW" stuff, unless just having a black character is considered SJW these days, so I don't know what that noise was about. Like I said before if you enjoy the genre and Star Wars I can't imagine not enjoying this. If you don't really enjoy the genre like I don't, but love Star Wars, you'll probably agree with me that it's okay. Let me know if that final boss fucked with you like they did with me.

14 Codex points out of 25.

• decline decline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    In real life she is blonde and has tattoos too.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The most important video on the subject:

Also, daily remainder.
    Lord Galen "Starkiller" Malek force pulled an entire stardestroyer-class battleship from planetary orbit.
    What did Kyle Katarn do? Shot a bunch of stormtrooper with a blaster rifle? Punched a big frog (or a couple of big frogs on harder difficulties) in a face?
    What did Darth Vader do? Kill a bunch of first-graders? LOL.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    • retadred x 8
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    At least Katarn and Vader weren't faggots.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Anakin Skywalker definitely was. Probably a pedo too.

• not sure if serious x 2
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng

Ma boi's review.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 5
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Who still needs reviews about a dead and forgotten game?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 7
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. baud Magister Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Gave it a try and it run like dogshit on my old laptop, I had some fun with the first few missions, but I'll stop here.

Regarding that last review, how can you so stupid as to review a VIDEO game with showing barely anything from the game?

^ Top  
  13. Zibniyat Arcane

Zibniyat
    There are crates and other stuff everywhere, but you cannot jump/climb on them, and many areas where the player should be able to reach are either closed off with invisible walls or are fake scenery (just a fancier looking invisible painted walls, really). Even though there is lots of climbing, jumping and "ski-descending" in the game; even whilst hanging from fast-moving vehicles, one is able to jump/climb/descend (and still maintain the same relative position to the moving vehicle, sort of improbable due to the speed of it all). But jumping on crates half your size is a big no.

Other than these immersion-shattering nuisances (I'm being deliberately dramatic here...), the game so far feels solid, although since I enjoyed Jedi Knight/Academy series I can never really get used to the awkward and "slow" (supposedly realistic) movement. Cutscenes aren't bad,in fact they are nicely made, and yes - the "black" (more like brown) woman really looks hideous. She might be having buphtalmos though? Even nu-Yoda has gigantic eyes (even for a Yoda-species kid), so is this some new trend we're witnessing here? Whatever, looks aside, so far she isn't terrible or anything in terms other than her looks, but I've just cleared the prologue mission so hard to tell anything yet.

Combat? "Tactical" slow-paced with parrying, counter-attacking/staggering an opponent, and deflecting blaster shots. I dislike it (as a matter of principle), but can't say it is objectively bad. Once I get used to it, I hope, it will become less bothersome. I dislike the fact that my Force "points" are refiled by killing enemies, that makes absolutely no sense in a Star Wars setting.

That's it for now. Clearly I like it enough not to write it off immediately, unlike Dark Souls for instance, so it must have something to do with the fact that it is Star Wars, which I do... enjoy in practice if the game is at least solid.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Beat a dragon to death with his bare hands. Wasn't even a Force user then.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Mikeal Cipher

Mikeal

FTFY

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191126005302/en/

Yay looks like EA is happy with the sales for now, which should mean more singleplayer games in the future.

• incline incline x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Is this why they confirmed a future Mass Effect game?

^ Top  
  18. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Do we know exactly what Avellone did on this? That female witch character (Mirra? Merrin?) was the best one by a mile but you get her and then the game just ends. I kinda got Avellone/Kreia vibes from her when she asks Cal "But won't all the kids be in danger if you get the holocron?" so I wonder if he wrote her.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Dedicated_Dark Arbiter

Dedicated_Dark
    He did nothing. He gave guidance. The game has 18 writers or some shit!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    "Fastest-selling digital launch" and "highest rated Star Wars game of this console generation" sound more like participation awards and are setting the bar and expectations pretty low.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    do people actually like Jedi Academy's combat? It was incredibly floaty.

• Up Yours x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    exactly as a LIGHTsaber combat would be?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Jedi Academy combat was a weird spam fest. I felt like I was hitting nothing and floating around and even though enemies blocked my attacks, I still killed them, plus there are very very few combos anyway.
    Still a cool combat system with a whole lot of powers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Zibniyat Arcane

Zibniyat
    Update: now that I am out of the prologue, and have visited the first real planet/location, my character can jump on most crates/stuff, but not all. So that is an improvement.

Still, it is obvious that there are clearly designated walls/plant vines/perforated metal walls etc. which you can use for climbing or other purposes. I have run into a perforated metal wall which was of different design to the "designated one", and could not use it. Even though, logically, there really ought to not be any difference in their usefulness. Many games are guilty of this, so this is not a particularly strong criticism of the game.

On the plus side, this planet really looks and "feels" beautiful. There are plenty of side-ways, shortcuts etc., the scenery is pretty to look at, and I am getting a hang of the combat system. And I am of course starting to get proficient at abusing the little design errors in environment layout and enemy behaviour to take down bosses, nice. :)

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zibniyat Arcane

Zibniyat
    Double-bladed lightsaber was overpowered for sure, there was that weird unstoppable combo, especially in single-player. Even dual-wielding was pretty OP, again mostly because of some combo.

That is why, for some real challenge, I have never finished single-player with either of the above mentioned modes.

1. So I only used single lightsaber, 2. and played on the hardest difficulty, and it did require a careful maneuvering to bring down opponents. 3. I also never used "Speed" which "slows down time" since it always felt like cheating. I recommend to everyone to do the same. With these self-imposed "limitations" almost every victory against lightsaber-wielding opponents felt really deserved.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.