Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Unbelievable, even more than 2 decades after Jedi Knight 1, and almost 2 decades since JKII/Jedi Academy they STILL cannot make a Jedi game with proper lightsaber combat. Just watch the video, you can slice into enemy bodies as much as you want and nothing gets chopped off; you only win after draining the health bar. WTF...and no open use of Force in combat.

This is why Force unleashed was pure shit, and so is this.

That's pretty disappointing tbh.. They literally only needed to copy Sekiro's combat, where visually everything is just parried until you break their stamina then you land one big attack that kills them or at least does some serious damage.

Like, the perfect template is right there but instead they treat a lightsaber as if it's a wet noodle or something

Yosharian

Arcane
Star Wars is one of the few games where I don't think it would work if it was made isometric. The KotOR games really were the blueprint on how to make a Star Wars game with an interesting universe and characters. We need something similar, but for the life of me I can't figure out what kind of combat system the game should have. The Souls system is fucking terrible and doesn't fit with Star Wars at all, I don't think anyone is interested in a third-person God of War type gameplay, and third-person shooters are so bleh.

I've never actually played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy though, and I just looked up some videos on it and it looks fucking amazing. So perhaps that's the answer.
Jedi Knight 2 is the best one. With the saber mod on.
What is the saber mod?
You can google it, it's a console command that enables the saber to instantly kill (and dismember) anything that's unshielded (including yourself). It's something like saber_realistic_combat_1 or similar

Jedi Knight 1&2 have the best story of any of the SW FPS games

Yosharian

Arcane

Unbelievable, even more than 2 decades after Jedi Knight 1, and almost 2 decades since JKII/Jedi Academy they STILL cannot make a Jedi game with proper lightsaber combat. Just watch the video, you can slice into enemy bodies as much as you want and nothing gets chopped off; you only win after draining the health bar. WTF...and no open use of Force in combat.

That's pretty disappointing tbh.. They literally only needed to copy Sekiro's combat, where visually everything is just parried until you break their stamina then you land one big attack that kills them or at least does some serious damage.

Like, the perfect template is right there but instead they treat a lightsaber as if it's a wet noodle or something

You can dismember animals, the only reason you can't do it to humanoids is literally because they wanted a low age rating so kids can play it. It's a mainstream star wars game guys, can we get realistic for a second here? We were never going to get dismemberment on humans for gods sake

And again, for the record, you CAN use Force powers in combat

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

You can dismember animals, the only reason you can't do it to humanoids is literally because they wanted a low age rating so kids can play it. It's a mainstream star wars game guys, can we get realistic for a second here? We were never going to get dismemberment on humans for gods sake

And again, for the record, you CAN use Force powers in combat

Except I didn't mention dismemberment anywhere in my post, all I said was that you shouldn't be able to slash a lightsaber across an enemy's body 500 times before they die, and instead combat should be more like sekiro where lightsaber bosses auto-parry until you break stamina, then you land a killing blow attack.

Yosharian

Arcane
Except I didn't mention dismemberment anywhere in my post, all I said was that you shouldn't be able to slash a lightsaber across an enemy's body 500 times before they die, and instead combat should be more like sekiro where lightsaber bosses auto-parry until you break stamina, then you land a killing blow attack.
But the game has a stamina system already, how would they layer two stamina systems on top of each other? That would be really confusing.

Right now the game has two systems, the HP bar and the stamina bar, and both play an important part in combat. What you're talking about would be a completely different system.

I don't doubt that it could work, but I don't think it's really fair to level this criticism when you haven't played the game and don't have insight into how the stamina & hp layers function together to make an interesting combat system. (Which you really can't see from that clip at all)

That said I personally haven't played Sekiro and what you're describing would definitely work well in a game which had dismemberment. Which this game could never have.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
I would never waste money on this trash. I'm going off this gameplay.
Since you haven't played the game: That particular enemy is only in one area and becomes trivial after you get a new ability. You have to fight like five of them before that.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
“It should be more like Sekiro” is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. The combat in this game is a simplified, easier version of Sekiro.

For example, it doesn’t have a stamina bar, it has a balance bar like Sekiro. It only limits your ability to block. If an enemy can parry, they keep parrying until their balance runs out and then you kill them in one or two hits like Sekiro. Every now and then an enemy will make an unblockable attack that the game telegraphs to you like Sekiro.

Respawn even said they were trying to copy Sekiro!

https://www.destructoid.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-is-more-sekiro-than-dark-souls-561907.phtml

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Whoa there, brethren. You mean SW, right? If we start calling Dark Souls super popular, then what are we going to call Mario or GTA games that are actual mainstream, household names and sell 10+ times more? Super dooper trooper popular? EA itself publishes games that make DS look about as popular as lyme disease. And then there is Star Wars, which is on another level altogether form any video game. Everyone knows it, you don't even have to leave your block to find someone who does, while I wouldn't be surprised to find out that only a few people within a 3 mile radius have even heard of a Dark Soul. Forums are a very different world.

By super popular I mean "for this genre." Obvious GTA is the gold standard for popular games, but if you're gonna make a singleplayer hack n' slash game in the Star Wars universe in 2019, aping Dark Souls (or Sekiro, whatever) is exactly what you should be doing.

J1M

Arcane
Can't believe we have a big-brained individual in here arguing that you can't show dismemberment in a Star Wars game. Episode V and VI include main characters losing limbs. Those are PG films.

Episode I and VIII have villains cut in half. The only movie where someone isn't dismembered is Episode VII.

The mundane truth is that EA couldn't figure out how to do it and hit their release date.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
By super popular I mean "for this genre." Obvious GTA is the gold standard for popular games, but if you're gonna make a singleplayer hack n' slash game in the Star Wars universe in 2019, aping Dark Souls (or Sekiro, whatever) is exactly what you should be doing.

Someone was telling me you can do directional slashes in the Jedi Knight games. Depending on how you moved the mouse I assume? Made me think of zandatsu mode in Metal Gear Rising. That game wouldn't be a bad engine/template for a Jedi game at all. No one could complain combats not agile or fast enough.

Yosharian

Arcane
Can't believe we have a big-brained individual in here arguing that you can't show dismemberment in a Star Wars game. Episode V and VI include main characters losing limbs. Those are PG films.

Episode I and VIII have villains cut in half. The only movie where someone isn't dismembered is Episode VII.

The mundane truth is that EA couldn't figure out how to do it and hit their release date.
How do you explain the fact that all non-human enemies are dismembered then?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get what you mean, but seeing stormtroopers standing on plateaus with no way up, and having bases that require the workers to do death defying jumps to get to their workplace kinda ruins the immersion.

never forget:

Oma7l.gif

I hope someone complains and get a railing installed.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Disney didn't own the movies and games when those films came out and Jedi Outcast came out. This game has dismemberment, in fact you can slice doggies into two pieces right down the middle. It's not like they were lazy with the tech, an edict obviously came down not to allow that system to function with human enemies,

Someone was telling me you can do directional slashes in the Jedi Knight games. Depending on how you moved the mouse I assume? Made me think of zandatsu mode in Metal Gear Rising. That game wouldn't be a bad engine/template for a Jedi game at all. No one could complain combats not agile or fast enough.

I would kill for a first-person Jedi Knight sequel type game, but it's the obvious choice to go with this kind of template for a console game in 2019. It is what it is.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
As has been stated, you can slice and dismember alien creatures and droids - just not humanoids. The code to do so is obviously there, so someone could make a mod to allow dismemberment of humanoids as well.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
according to fextralife the game is more like nu-TombRaider and less like Dark Souls

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom