Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

TheDarkUrge

Educated
1ipvj3B.jpg

Leaker says you can't fly from planet to planet within solar systems it's basically all fast travel. Skills look like fallout 4's.

Moink

Cipher
Nice to see stealth still being a "crouch to get extra damage button", really is Skyrim in space.

Trithne

Erudite
I just saw the news where Microsoft is going to charge everyone another $20 to play on the 1st instead of the 6th. I can't wait to enjoy it (or not) several days before people who actually paid for the game.

Saw a pronoun selection option on the character creation screen in the leaked vid, so yes on that. Didn't see anything regarding custom private parts.
You know, I'm almost done with BG3 and I can't remember a single time anyone referred to my character by any pronoun at all. It almost feels like it was included as a 'fuck you trannies'

Everyone just calls your character 'you' npcs and companions both.
I mean, pronouns are only really used to refer to someone in the third person. Since you're the character and 99% of the time dialogue referencing the character is going to be in second person, pronouns are irrelevant. They're just there as a feel good measure for the troons and troon-adjacent, because pronouns have replaced picking a sex for them.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
1ipvj3B.jpg

Leaker says you can't fly from planet to planet within solar systems it's basically all fast travel. Skills look like fallout 4's.
Those skills look so overpowered. And uninspired.

"Now that you are a master space ninja, be ready to receive your ultimate power !
- Yes ! What is it ? Passing through walls ? Clinging to spaceships and survive in space ? Change face to infiltrate outposts ?
- NO ! Fool ! What is this nonsense ? You shalt deal 3.5 time more damage, or 8 more time in close combat !"

Seriously.

Ulysa

Scholar
1ipvj3B.jpg

He says that is like Elite Dangerous. Of course flying from one planet to another wouldn't make sense beacuse you would have to fly for 3 years or more. You jump drive or whatever is called in this game. But you jump first to a space around the planet, not directly on the surface. So pretty much like ED, you can do something in that space or land.

Iucounu

Educated
I mean, pronouns are only really used to refer to someone in the third person. Since you're the character and 99% of the time dialogue referencing the character is going to be in second person, pronouns are irrelevant. They're just there as a feel good measure for the troons and troon-adjacent, because pronouns have replaced picking a sex for them.
Even in real life the act of declaring your preferred pronouns is the whole point, like a statement and an attempt to controls other people's thoughts in your absence. So in a game you make the statement to the character generator, and then roleplay that NPCs in the game use them in your absence.

I suppose in-game letters etc mentioning your player character could be generated dynamically to use your pronouns as well --doesn't Baldur's Gate 3 do that?

goregasm

Scholar
Definitely not having any feelings of excitement for this. For a short time I had hope that a change to a new original IP would reinvigorate Bethesda design but this just looks like more of the same in space.

I didn't despise Skyrim, found it an upgrade over Oblivion but still a slide from the first 3, yet the modding community did bring it to something resembling an RPG with things like requiem.

I enjoy Frost for FO4. That's about it.

This? This though seems like they are following their paint by numbers approach, but in space.

The overall package doesn't seem interesting enough for me to pick up even after mods inevitably redo all of the underlying dogshit.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
almost feels like it was included as a 'fuck you trannies'
Yea that's why devs do it. Clearly. :nocountryforshitposters:
I'm not saying it's why, just that if I was being forced to pander to mentally ill degenerates I hated, including an option that will never appear once in the game at the character creation screen would certainly be considered.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
almost feels like it was included as a 'fuck you trannies'
Yea that's why devs do it. Clearly. :nocountryforshitposters:
I'm not saying it's why, just that if I was being forced to pander to mentally ill degenerates I hated, including an option that will never appear once in the game at the character creation screen would certainly be considered.

I get what your saying but devs by and large have proven to be very much in favour of this because they can finally be themselves publicly.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Perk system looks serviceable but lazy for a AAA game project. Seriously if people give bethesda a slack for rehashing shit from TES/Fallout the hope for anything better coming from them in next installment is completely gone. As i said, they will release worse and worse games, despite hardware and capabilities for development getting better and better. Its so annoying, it's like we don't get any good and imaginative Sci-Fi movies despite all these animation advances and graphic design.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Leaker says you can't fly from planet to planet within solar systems it's basically all fast travel.
I'm guessing it's going to show some sort of "warp" screen to simulate FTL travel which is actually acceptable, but it is more impressive (and immersive) if the planets are modeled and slowly grow larger the closer you get.

Since traveling faster than light is impossible, however, how can one blame Bethesda for choosing the former?

If they don't manage to capture the feeling of interstellar space while traveling, that's the larger problem.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
NMS having infinite asteroid clouds everywhere was super lame and kills any fun in flying around space.

All I've ever wanted is Frontier with better graphics. Seamless planet transitions are more important to me than interstellar boredom. Still, the hacky unity junk voxel game Empyrion lets you fly almost smoothly into space, dick around, and come back without load screens or whatnot. Very low bar to pass.

Robber Baron

Savant
I guess there's just so much you can do with gamebryo while keeping the modding framework possible

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom