Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think there are a lot of people setting unrealistic expectations for this game
I'm curious - and this is an honest question, not a trap or a trick. What kinds of expectations do you think optimists are setting for Starfield?
Solid 3/10. With mods maybe even 4-5.

volklore

Arcane
I will play this with requiem 3tweaks equivalent when it comes so probably never.
Lol at those skills though. What was it that todd said ? ''going back to our more hardcore RPG roots?'' Lmao.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Interesting. I vastly prefer LBD and have always hated "kill 20 orcs to improve your lockpicking". Different strokes yo.
I hate LBD. Due to the nature of it you always end up with specialized characters and hybrids are nearly always penalized. Want to use a bit of magic with your melee build? Well, hope you're happy being able to light candles while slaying gods with your melee weapon.

The alternative has, in my experience, always allowed for more and better build variety (especially when barriers like classes are used). Why did you get better at lock picking by killing 20 orcs? Well your character was studying lock-picking around the campfire, or was able to buy better study material from their loot. Table-top RPG's explain away 'leveling up' like that all the time.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
I think there are a lot of people setting unrealistic expectations for this game
I'm curious - and this is an honest question, not a trap or a trick. What kinds of expectations do you think optimists are setting for Starfield?
10/10 with mods
If modders can make Planet Cyrodiil and Planet Fallout in the Starfield universe, it will be the ultimate game and Todd lives forever feeding on the tear of fans and haters.

Humanophage

Arcane
Tyrone the Starfield leaker arrested by buck breakin' Todd.
https://www.eteknix.com/starfield-l...ssession-and-receives-dumbest-criminal-award/
R3oGEr8.png

MQRC6ZB.png

Humanophage

Arcane

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting. I vastly prefer LBD and have always hated "kill 20 orcs to improve your lockpicking". Different strokes yo.
I hate LBD. Due to the nature of it you always end up with specialized characters and hybrids are nearly always penalized. Want to use a bit of magic with your melee build? Well, hope you're happy being able to light candles while slaying gods with your melee weapon.
The alternative has, in my experience, always allowed for more and better build variety (especially when barriers like classes are used). Why did you get better at lock picking by killing 20 orcs? Well your character was studying lock-picking around the campfire, or was able to buy better study material from their loot. Table-top RPG's explain away 'leveling up' like that all the time.
I don't need made-up reasons why xp-point buy makes "realistic" sense. Trust me, I'm royalty when it comes to rationalizing stupid systems or plot holes.

Agree that point buy has greater diversity of builds, because ... obviously it does. You can concoct incredibly unnatural and unlikely builds and do them no matter what the character's actual experience (the English word experience, not "xp") is. Is that necessarily a good thing? Me, I don't like point buy because it feels arbitrary and divorced from gameplay. "OK, the protagonist killed the 2,681st hobgoblin, now let's leave the game and go off-camera to an unrelated spreadsheet." Which we can rationalize all day but feels stupid. Yes of course LBD is limited by action instead of just being able to pick whatever. That's the point. It makes guiding your character towards your build concept something of a ... and I know some people are scared of this word ... challenge?

I don't really mean to denigrate. Obv if you don't like those limits please have fun in RPGs without them (i.e. 98% of all RPGs). Again different strokes. To me thoughtful limitations (and whenever possible diegetic systems) are what make a good game and I'm glad some designs have the courage to break away from the same old thing. Anyway thanks for sharing your perspective.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
1692979482612.png

Step 1: Steal from your workplace.

Step 2: Stream yourself playing with one of your stolen products.

Step 3: Have that video go viral because you leaked Starfield.

:deathclaw:

This leak saga so far is much better than any of my expectations for the game.

N'wah

Novice
10/10 with mods
If modders can make Planet Cyrodiil and Planet Fallout in the Starfield universe, it will be the ultimate game and Todd lives forever feeding on the tear of fans and haters.
Did Fallout 4 have the same level of mod support as Skyrim? There is so much variety in the Skyrim modding scene it's almost more difficult to try to find a concept for a mod someone hasn't tried to execute. I didn't think Fallout 4 had the same level of devotion dedicated to it. It's kind of odd, because Skyrim as an RPG wasn't really anything exceptional but the amount of modding it got was unlike anything in a Bethesda game before and I'd wager, we won't see anything on the same scale again unless Bethesda can harvest a whole new bunch of autists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom