Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zariusz

Arbiter
Who's that blonde chick in her late 30s everyone is posting on screens?
Main character's mom?
first companion after the tutorial robot, my choice is Andreja tho

Starfield_Companions-Andreja_Starfield.jpeg
She has that space Lydia 2.0 look.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
And before you go "wah wah he is betsheda hater" I was one of few dudes who defended F4 here. IT wasn't good rpg but it was pretty good sandbox looter shooter.

Something which Starfield isn't. So not only it is not great RPG but also it is not great sandbox XYZ either.
that's because Starfield doesn't explain all the mechanics, it has a LOT going on but they just put it all in the game, gave you your starship and said ok, you're on your own

that's why everybody is saying you need to play the game more until it clicks

I suggest doing the main quest until you finish "Into the Unknown" at least

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Guyz im playin starfield, it looks pretty good
4.jpg

but without spess combat
If this was released today, people would still hail it: "It's got Bethesda charm", just as long as it's a:

The king is butt-naked.

Shills in thread: "IT is actually better written game than rest of their games"

Reality: In one of missions you board Crimson Fleet HQ and meet their accountant which tells you directly on first meeting that he has a bomb on his chest and if he dies Crimson Fleet is fucked and then proceeds to explain for next 10 minutes how important he is to live.
I haven't seen anyone compliment the writing yet, though maybe I have overlooked that. Mostly Vic and some others talking about the stuff they can do
The writing is excellent in a situation where you have an IRL enemy and you want to sap his will to live. Let him play the Akila main quest.

IDK. I'll force myself to play Into the Unknown, but I really expect something substantial after that. (Inb4, it won't come to pass :lol: )

Perkel

Arcane
And before you go "wah wah he is betsheda hater" I was one of few dudes who defended F4 here. IT wasn't good rpg but it was pretty good sandbox looter shooter.

Something which Starfield isn't. So not only it is not great RPG but also it is not great sandbox XYZ either.
that's because Starfield doesn't explain all the mechanics, it has a LOT going on but they just put it all in the game, gave you your starship and said ok, you're on your own

that's why everybody is saying you need to play the game more until it clicks

I suggest doing the main quest until you finish "Into the Unknown" at least

I finished into unknown before uninstalling it i had several of those faggy "powers" by then.
The problem with game being sandbox looter/shooter precisely comes from a fact that its features do not jive well together.
I never expected Bethesda game to be good RPG so i never went with that notion into game to begin with. I was there just to see if this is another Fallout 4 situation where it was terrible rpg but pretty good sandbox looter/shooter.

Main reason to play lootershooter games is to get tricked out in best gear creating builds etc.
The problem is that you have 100 version of spacesuits that all look the same. Which means there is nothing to trick out.
Exploration ? All planets are randomly generates slopes that make NMS look beautiful in comparison
Space ship part of game ? It is essentially useless piece of game as you can just grav out of any combat and you can't in fact fly anywhere as everything is just glorified loading screen.
Outpost building ? For what ? to make gear that looks the same ? To make better food that is still worse than shitty medpen and so on.

Like i said in my "review" it has many features but none of them work together. IT is essentially another NMS but with main story and some quest rather than just everything being randomly generated.

It is pretty typical modern "Let give features but don't tie them because someone might not like base building or exploration or XYZ". A crapshoot of features so that one of them might catch someone.

Vic

Savant
Vic, you're making my day. Your posting in here is hilarious. Love your enthusiasm, man. Never let others shit on what you enjoy.
they're just retarded, Jenkem wasn't even trolling, Todd truly created a masterpiece but he chose to just leave it all in the open for players to discover and not handhold them through all the stuff that is in the game. The steam forums are a fucking mess. Reddit was a fucking mess at launch, but now it turned around positively as people are starting to "get it".

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with game being sandbox looter/shooter precisely comes from a fact that its features do not jive well together.
Exactly same impression here. They've piled up all the systems they've developed since Oblivion (which in turn inherited from Morrowind ofc), but no one went through the trouble to make sure these systems will actually work in concert. The game somewhat resembles a huge modder undertaking in the way it lacks direction. The thematically incoherent main hubs - cyberpunk city, cowboy city, futuristic utopia, etc, just rub salt on the wound. They are like cherry-picked from different games (which they are in terms of where the inspiration comes from).

The whole game is a magpie nest of shiny things plucked from other places, and piled together, because each of them looked cool separately.

Perkel

Arcane
I think Starfield is best summarized as No Man's Sky made by AAA developer with all its problems still there but bolted on top of that story + sidemissions with unique content.

Better version of NMS. If you hated NMS like me then naturally you will hate it too. If you liked NMS then you will probably like Starfield. It is definitely not a game for RPG fan or Space Sim fan.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think Starfield is best summarized as No Man's Sky made by AAA developer with all it's problems not fixed but bolted on top of that story + sidemissions with unique content.

Better version of NMS. If you hated NMS like me then naturally you will hate it too.
No! I was thinking about exactly this just minutes ago - "This game has no right calling itself a AAA game!" Even for Fallout 4, I could concede, but Starfield? Triple-A? No way. $70, do you imagine? :lol:

Vic

Savant
Main reason to play lootershooter games is to get tricked out in best gear creating builds etc.
Have you looked into the combat talent tree? You can do builds like in previous fallouts, focus on explosives, lasers, ballistics, sniper, melee. there are certain affixes which suit well for certain playstyles like an instigating sniper rifle, which does double damage to targets at full health

The problem is that you have 100 version of spacesuits that all look the same. Which means there is nothing to trick out.
they may look the same but there are different affixes for them... have you heard of the mantis suit?

Exploration ? All planets are randomly generates slopes that make NMS look beautiful in comparison
You do not explore on foot but on your spaceship, don't waste your time walking around, just look at what points of interest you can see from space and then explore those. You also get random events as you enter orbit. There is a lot to discover, if you don't waste time walking across empty planets.

Space ship part of game ? It is essentially useless piece of game as you can just grav out of any combat and you can't in fact fly anywhere as everything is just glorified loading screen.
As said above, you need your space ship for exploration. you can't fly between planets, that is true, but space exploration is not that bad actually with random events and locations you can find in orbit like space bases or wreckages. You can talk with other spaceships and they share with you gossip or trade. You will also need your spaceship for cargo hauling missions and space combat missions that require you to kill another space ship. I haven't done much space ship stuff tbh yet but I'm starting to like it now.
Outpost building ? For what ? to make gear that looks the same ? To make better food that is still worse than shitty medpen and so on.
There is a reason for outpost building which will become apparent if you do more exploration of the game.

Ulysa

Scholar
You do not explore on foot but on your spaceship, don't waste your time walking around, just look at what points of interest you can see from space and then explore those. You also get random events as you enter orbit. There is a lot to discover, if you don't waste time walking across empty planets.
It is obvious that the random generated terrain is just there to gather resources. That said, in the 5 minutes I tried exploring a random place in Europa I also found a base with enemies and loot. So it generates that too.

Lemming42

Arcane
Despite the game's immense scope, it does actually feel like I'm moving towards the finish line. Factions quests done, all the obvious sidequests done. Only really the main quest and independent exploration left to do.

Really had fun with it after the initial New Atlantis repulsion. I think I will replay this with mods in a year or so after all. Unique among Bethesda games in that it actually gets more fun the more you play, rather than the inverse.

Good job overall, Todd. It's not everything that it could be, but it's something of a return to form after the immense letdown of Fo4. It all bodes fairly well for TES VI, I think.

Even the writing, despite being done by Emil, is alright. The faction questlines were all pretty good, standard videogame stuff but engaging and not outright comical in the way that parts of Oblivion, Fo3 and Skyrim were. I really liked the Terrormorph plot.

Main criticism at this point is just that the vastness of the galaxy is a total gimmick. The game really would be better if it took cues from The Outer Worlds in terms of interplanetary travel, focusing on a small handful of well-developed planets, maybe with a couple of optional moons and barren worlds for people who like the resource gathering/outpost building aspect.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love the process of coming up with marginally amusing and possibly edgy monicker for this game.
Niggerfield - A bit too much.
Cottonfield - Clever. Not bad at all.
Garfield - I appriciate the contribution.
Toddfield - I'm pushing this one.

all you haters keep saying the game is "about nothing" so why not call it Seinfield? :smug:

Hagashager

Educated
After having listened to Noah Caldwell's 9+ long Fallout breakdown over the last week I've decided I will give Bethesda one point on Starfield.

It's a solipsistic power fantasy where nothing matters but the player, but at least it's Bethesda's own sci-fi setting designed from the ground up to be a playground as opposed to the raping of Fallout that Bethesda has done previously.

Beyond that, watched a friend play it over the weekend, it looks boring as shit. Everything looked like Fallout 76 in space.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Who's that blonde chick in her late 30s everyone is posting on screens?
Main character's mom?
first companion after the tutorial robot, my choice is Andreja tho

Starfield_Companions-Andreja_Starfield.jpeg
She has that space Lydia 2.0 look.

This is the first actually attractive woman I've seen in the thread so far.

Also, we're currently in the stage where Lydia (considered terminally man-faced for the time) is now more attractive than 90% of women in modern games.

Vatnik Wumao
Even the writing, despite being done by Emil, is alright. The faction questlines were all pretty good, standard videogame stuff but engaging and not outright comical in the way that parts of Oblivion, Fo3 and Skyrim were. I really liked the Terrormorph plot.
I just hope that the already announced DLC will focus on House Va'ruun narativewise. Even ignoring the Serpent's Embrace trait and one of your main companions being a former member of the faction itself, it just seems jarring how little of them there is storywise considering that they are (or were anyway) one of the big factions of the setting.

FJsp6tf.jpeg
czum3Wn.jpeg

1P6us6v.jpg
8jYgqYq.jpg

Old Hans

Arcane
I just hope that the already announced DLC will focus on House Va'ruun narativewise.
if they do it too soon, it will make it look like they purposefully left it out.
sidenote: that spoiler screenshot has a 2d sprite for the gate. that complete insanity!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom